• Register
  • Help

Topic: Apple's iMac Pro

Share/Bookmark

Apple's iMac Pro

If you haven't checked out Apple new upcoming iMac Pro. It will start at $5000. I can't imagine what the 18-core model will cost.

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/

Re: Apple's iMac Pro

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    If you haven't checked out Apple new upcoming iMac Pro. It will start at $5000. I can't imagine what the 18-core model will cost.

https://www.apple.com/imac-pro/
    In 2015 I bought a 6 core Mac Pro (Darth Vader's Head).. NO ONE at Apple anywhere could give me a definitive answer of how many CPU's and speed I would need

To my dismay.. I get up to about 30 live virtual instruments (many Kontakt, UVI libraries, U-he virtual instruments (pretty CPU intensive)..

My point was I wanted up to 60 tracks of always live instruments, so I could quickly jump between instruments and 'massage' the tracks into compliance..

Now as I reach the 30 virtual instrument, Logic Sputters, and goes silent. I must turn some of the virtual instruments into live instruments. With two RAID systems, and a 1 TB SSD. My system set me back $10K.

I read a new fully decked out IMac was close to 18K..

That brings me to the threshold of jumping ship (PC).. But I've used Macs for over 37 years (almost the beginning).. Logic over almost 30 years now.. I really don't want to spend all the time and energy learning a whole new system.

Yeah, at this point, I'm kinda over Apple.. truth is I'm kinda over 'everything'..

Re: Apple's iMac Pro

The problem with the iMac Pro is there isn't space to install multiple high speed SSD's. You can hook external drives but I prefer drives hooked directly into the ports on the system board. The Mac Pro's I setup for our Audio/Visual guys at work have 64 GB of RAM and cost about $10,000 with the 2 27" monitors. We had 32 GB of memory in them at first but they were running out of memory. I hear of other Mac user's running out of memory with Kontakt libraries which makes me wonder about the memory management in the current OSX.

I run a Core i7 PC with just 16 GB RAM and have never run out of RAM doing AV projects as big as they do at work and usually with more audio tracks. I'm able to run over 100 virtual instrument tracks before having to freeze or bounce tracks and just run up to about 15 GB of RAM. I'm running some of the largest libraries such as LA Scoring Strings and Orchestral Tools Woodwind and Brass libraries. The are libraries requiring 64 GB on the Macs. I'm able to stream this many tracks as I have 3 Solid State Drives for my samples. Audio tracks are running off another normal hard drive. I have about 4 TB of storage on this computer and the total cost with a 27" monitor was about $2,000. Part of what allows me to run this many tracks is running multiple SSD drives with smaller preload buffers for the samples. BTW, I build my own computers which does save money.

Jim

Go Back to forum