• Register
  • Help

Topic: Last one

Share/Bookmark

Last one

I know the music doesn't make mucg sense without the video, but here goes anyway.

https://app.box.com/s/bvx2avmfwc2v2qpok8ftv8nh7hoat2yw

Re: Last one

I do love this forum. Everyday after breakfast I log in here and a new tune is available which inspires and makes my day. And your tune, Tom, is of no exception, quite beautiful and exciting. I would decrease the strength of the cymbals coming in at around 1:26, though, but that depends on the particular sound system used, I guess.
    Also, I wonder why the tune ends at climax.
    Looking forward to the movie.

Greetings,
    Kjell

I don't know what to say. Just stunned. About the cymbals, decreasing? No, but let them being accompanied by some heavier timpani roll (or hits). I think forceful hits will enhance the effect. But what am I talking about? You are the composer.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I don't know what to say. Just stunned. About the cymbals, decreasing? No, but let them being accompanied by some heavier timpani roll (or hits). I think forceful hits will enhance the effect. But what am I talking about? You are the composer.

Raymond
    Thank you, Raymond. Your comments are always highly appreciated. As most will tell you, when it comes to composing for film, the composer is often just the guy that puts little round dots on the score paper. So often - and all the ship arrivals for this sequence - so much depends on what is happening on the screen and makes virtually no sense musically. However, the director likes them and I got to explore hundreds of wonderfully interesting sounds in the process that I had never touched before. Now, with a little time on my hands, I think I may begin a fantasy that has been drifting amongst my neurons for a few months.

BTW, the cymbals are coordinated to highlight a highly intense beam of light that passes over the ship as it enters the docking bay.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    I do love this forum. Everyday after breakfast I log in here and a new tune is available which inspires and makes my day. And your tune, Tom, is of no exception, quite beautiful and exciting. I would decrease the strength of the cymbals coming in at around 1:26, though, but that depends on the particular sound system used, I guess.
    Also, I wonder why the tune ends at climax.
    Looking forward to the movie.

Greetings,
    Kjell
    Kjell, your observations and comments are always spot on - and very highly appreciated. The surround sound system these pieces will play through will (I hope) help draw the audience attention to various elements on the screen. But, I totally agree with your comment concerning the volume of the cymbols at 1:26. Musically not at all acceptable - but for the film - well, what can I say? The check arrived yesterday.

Tom

Tom,

I think maybe this was your most interesting theme, to match the most interesting ship scene?

That sounded like classic electronic ambience at the beginning.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    Tom,

I think maybe this was your most interesting theme, to match the most interesting ship scene?

That sounded like classic electronic ambience at the beginning.

Phil

Thanks, Phil - the first 4 measures were all synth - then I used 13 synth lines to support natural instruments or to provide effects.

Tom

Hi Tom,

With great admiration, I've listened to 'Last One'. As you mention, without the actual pictures, the music doesn't speak fully, but is very enjoyable and impressive, majestic. It's not so hard to imagine what the images could be: the music IS the image. Very well done. And to my ears, nothing sounds exaggerated.

Max

wow, really classy, Tom. I do not need the video.. I feel like floating along with your space ship!
    Wonderful chords, very sophisticated melody with an interesting rhythmical behaviour and incredibly well judged change of moods. The interaction between the melodic/harmonic structure and the percussion lines is pure genius, it is 'unsettling' in a very positive way.
    It is also sonically remarkable, in particular the brass. Which libraries are you using? Hollywood brass maybe?

What to say... you must feel very proud of yourself.

Fabry

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    wow, really classy, Tom. I do not need the video.. I feel like floating along with your space ship!
    Wonderful chords, very sophisticated melody with an interesting rhythmical behaviour and incredibly well judged change of moods. The interaction between the melodic/harmonic structure and the percussion lines is pure genius, it is 'unsettling' in a very positive way.
    It is also sonically remarkable, in particular the brass. Which libraries are you using? Hollywood brass maybe?

What to say... you must feel very proud of yourself.

Fabry
    Thank, you kindly. The score is all GPO5 except for the brass and three of the 17 electronic sounds. The GPO5 strings are much nicer for this piece than the EWQL strings in my opinion.

Also, I am using Finale without a DAW and I have no way on controlling the HP, dynamics or articulations of the EWQL instruments, so I have to use them sparingly and carefully. It took 5 tracks for each of the brass to use them here.

Tom

Go Back to forum