• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Last Post

Share/Bookmark

The Last Post - 1918

Hi dear friends,

In 2011 I wrote a concert overture called '1918'. At that time I could only dream of the instrumental/orchestral means we dispose of today. That's why I thought it necessary to revise that composition thouroughly.
    The work is an evocation of the end of World War I (1918) and all the mixed feelings about the many losses of young lives, about the fear for modern warfare, about the joy at the end of that horrible war, about the stopping of the never ending bombings in our region. I wanted to evoke the uncertainty and doubts, the tremendous grief, the respect for the young fallen heroes, the pride of my nation and of all countries from over the world that came to help us and had so many sacrifices to bear...
    As a tribute 100 years later, the concert overture originated. Because of the narrow sounding 1918, I gave it a new title: The Last Post - 1918. Ever since the end of that war, a number of clarion players have been playing that tune (which you can hear at the end of the composition) every single day under the Menin Gate at Ypres (25 kms from where I live) without exception at 8 pm, in honour of all the fallen soldiers, named and nameless. That ritual was only interrupted during WW II and started again immediately after the war.
    Please feel free to comment.

The Last Post - 1918

Max

Re: The Last Post

Thank you, Max. On so many levels, thank you.

Tom

That's what you were doing those days. The piece is very impressive and filled with emotions. Good job.

Greetings,

Raymond

A warm Thank You from me too. It was a real musical adventure to listen to your ouverture, a continuous development where new themes and sounds continuously occurred to the pleasure for the listener. Your creativity is remarkable and to use it for making a beauty like this is impressive.

I am very interested in 1st w-war which I think is the greatest European enigma.

Kjell

I played your Last Post a few times while I did some reading up on WWl and then just listened. I sensed lot of feelings in your music for that time. Here, I guess people were much less affected by this war except for those more towards end of the war who came home as casualties, physically and mentally or didn't come home.

It was quite masterfully composed and presented.

Phil

Thanks Tom, Raymond, Kjell, Phil for having taken the time to listen to the concert overture (almost 12 min.)

It means a lot to me, but probably to all these young soldiers that fought one of the many pointless and meaningless wars of this world. The gave their young lives for our freedom. I considered it my duty to remember them in a musical way: with tears and happiness, with grief, anxiety and despair, but also with hope and good spirit for the future.
    Now we all know what happened some 30 years later, what is happening every day ever since...

The overal sound of 'The Last Post' is not so good: the normaliser (Logic Pro) raised every dynamic nuance to probably the maximum level without my intention to do so. I will give it another try and hope to bring a neater result with more detail in the dynamics.

Thanks for listening,
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    It means a lot to me, but probably to all these young soldiers that fought one of the many pointless and meaningless wars of this world. The gave their young lives for our freedom. I considered it my duty to remember them in a musical way: with tears and happiness, with grief, anxiety and despair, but also with hope and good spirit for the future.
    Dear Max,
    your work is just wonderful! I love the way you create moving melodies trying to express the emotions of the soldiers (especially starting around 4:00 and 8:49-9:30 - is this your own melody? So beautiful! ).
    But it seems you use mainly woodwinds. Wouldn't it be more balanced if you would give the strings more room to unfold in a stronger way and thus to enlarge the emotional expression?

It is painful for me to realize that my grandfather in the German fought maybe against your grandfathers (well he fought mainly in France) in the full length of the war. I wonder how he managed to survive these many battles ...

Gerd

Hi Gerd,

Thanks for your comment.
    Your remark concerning the use of the woodwinds is correct. In this piece, I wanted to make a clear contrast between peoples' emotions and the military. People are the soft side (woods) and the military gets the brass and percussion. The strings glue it all together and have a rather accompanying /accent function. The marches are something in between: joyful for the end of the war as well for the soldiers as for the highly victimised people.

All the themes are mine, except for the bugle call. That one is called 'The Last Post', played daily under the Ypres Menin Gate from 1918 until now.

PS: A new version is coming up with more detailed dynamics, balance and tempos.

Kindly,
    Max

Max, I just listened to you work again and I can only marvel on the beauty of it! The dreadfulness of the war only shortly is manifest. The music makes just such a strong emotional impression on me (7:33 ff, 8:56 ff) - it contains one of the most beautfil melodies I have ever heard from a contemporary composer! Could you also present the score to us?

Gerd

Hi Gerd,

The score was made in Notion (a rough draft), and worked out in Studio One Pro. I will finish the score and present it in due course.
    Max

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast