• Register
  • Help

Topic: SHip #8

Share/Bookmark

SHip #8

USS Merrimac arriving with pomp and glory, settling in with a firm and quiet demeanor.

https://app.box.com/s/065k2puggvmdlbgf6ygi6m089i5co6fb

Tom

Re: SHip #8

It is interesting to follow your space project, Tom, and one day we will see the movie too?
    This part really sounds like movie music (soundtrack) as it was done in the past, nonetheless a great composition. I think I would prefer a lower pitch brass in the introduction to make it even more majestic.
    Keep it going

Kjell

Quote Originally Posted by kjelleman View Post
    It is interesting to follow your space project, Tom, and one day we will see the movie too?
    This part really sounds like movie music (soundtrack) as it was done in the past, nonetheless a great composition. I think I would prefer a lower pitch brass in the introduction to make it even more majestic.
    Keep it going

Kjell
    I had originally had in the lower range, but the director wanted it "upped" to better match the ice crystals the ship is flying through. He makes the movie, I just make the little black dots.

Tom

I liked how you used the pre synth mellotron type sounds for helping to portray the Merrimack Tom. They, along with even older tech samples, are kindly referred to as lo-fI in electronic music.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    I liked how you used the pre synth mellotron type sounds for helping to portray the Merrimack Tom. They, along with even older tech samples, are kindly referred to as lo-fI in electronic music.

Phil
    Thank you, Phil. I keep searching for sounds that are (at for me) new and mainly that I can hybrid in with orchestral instruments. Sometimes it works, a lot of times it doesn't.

Tom

I had not the chance to listen to the last couple of your themes so ... quick catch up... I liked #7 but #8 is definitely my favourite one. I enjoyed the contrast between the rather pompous, glorious brass entrance (watch out for the clipping!) and the sophisticated chords and dissonances of the sustained section. This is like the first submission: absolutely nailed!
    Great job but please, please! remove that violin portamento asap! It is like a dagger right into the heart. I know it is not your fault, those Garritan strings just can't properly slide....

Fab

Go Back to forum