• Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Topic: Pierlala Again... Tribute to a free mind

Share/Bookmark

Re: Pierlala Again... Tribute to a free mind

Thanks Phil,

It's a good thing to have read something about the history of Belgian/Flanders. Pierlala represents in some way the course of events (i.e. occupations, oppression, inquisition, wars, political games by the ruling classes...). Belgium is a rather young country (since 1830) and had a turbulent history. The last episode is depicted here by an excerpt from the French opera "La Muette de Portici" by D. Aubert. A particular air in that opera unchained the revolution for independence in 1830. The power of music! The irony is, that it was a French opera and we had a French occupation shortly before... At the time of the revolution, it was the Dutch king (Willem I) who was the ruler here (1815-1830).
    Maybe that revolution was a historical mistake after all. Belgium and the Netherlands could have been a great country together. But as in so many cases religion decided otherwise. (Belgium was mainly catholic whereas the Netherlands were almost exclusively protestant (= reformed)).

Thank you for listening, commenting and interest for our history.
    Max

Max, this is great! All of it: the composition, the traditional/historical background, the render....
    It depicts so nicely so many feelings being sometimes dramatic, sometimes heroic or sarcastic (as you say Pierlala used to be), but you manage to keep everything so homogeneous and bond together.
    I am a 'strings guy' and particularly enjoyed that short string section right in the middle... kind of middle way between folk and baroque... but this is really well done throughout.
    The render is flawless, too. What did you use? I remember you used Notion and Vsl... is it still so?

This should be performed, yes... but it is also not bad at all as it is right now!

Congratulations.

Fab

Quote Originally Posted by sec2 View Post
    Max, this is great! All of it: the composition, the traditional/historical background, the render....
    It depicts so nicely so many feelings being sometimes dramatic, sometimes heroic or sarcastic (as you say Pierlala used to be), but you manage to keep everything so homogeneous and bond together.
    I am a 'strings guy' and particularly enjoyed that short string section right in the middle... kind of middle way between folk and baroque... but this is really well done throughout.
    The render is flawless, too. What did you use? I remember you used Notion and Vsl... is it still so?

This should be performed, yes... but it is also not bad at all as it is right now!

Congratulations.

Fab
    Thanks Fab, the middle section as you call it is a little Fuga in the old art. It represents the bourgeois way of thinking at the end of the 18th century, shortly before the French and Belgian Revolutions... That the fugue is not complete has an obvious reason: It is interrupted by the fierce comment of Pierlala, referring to the upcoming revolutions where the upper class were set apart (at least in the minds of the people)...

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Thanks Fab, the middle section as you call it is a little Fuga in the old art. It represents the bourgeois way of thinking at the end of the 18th century, shortly before the French and Belgian Revolutions... That the fugue is not complete has an obvious reason: It is interrupted by the fierce comment of Pierlala, referring to the upcoming revolutions where the upper class were set apart (at least in the minds of the people)...

Max

... BRILLIANT!

Fabry

Your music is well put together and your orchestration is very good. Everything is nicely done. Excellent!

Best,

Larry Alexander

Go Back to forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12