• Register
  • Help

Topic: To update to Kontakt 5 or not?

Share/Bookmark

To update to Kontakt 5 or not?

I have Kontakt 2 and at one time was using BelaD's Giovani children's choir library. Then I stopped using it for a while. I've become heavily involved with Vienna Symphonic Libraries and own most of their products, but I still thought it might be nice to use the Giovani library.
    I order to use the Giovani library now, you need the full version of Kontakt 5. I'm able to get an update price which isn't too bad, but I can't figure out if its a good buy or not. It claims to include many instruments, but doesn't list what they are. I use my samples when writing and orchestrating a wide variety of musical styles: chamber music of all kinds, jazz, orchestral music. I'm not into the cliche ridden film, video game music with loads of percussion, huge choir, triplet harmonies, bombastic sounds....you know, the kind of music that makes money these days.

So the question can anyone offer advice? Should I pony up the $99 for Kontakt 5 update?

Thanks
    Mac Pro 2X2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xenon, 10Gb 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM, OS10.6.4, Finale 2011, Digital Performer 7.1, Altiverb 6, Yamaha S90, Built-in audio, GPO, JABB, Garritan Authorized Steinway (Pro), Reason 3, M-Audio Ozone, Giovani, Symphonic Choirs, Kontakt 2, Vienna Symphonic Library. Website:http://www.paulread.ca

Re: To update to Kontakt 5 or not?

Every so often Komplete ultimate goes on sale for $400. I bought Komplete 10 best deal I ever got but you have to just check with the site around easter or Christmas they give a discount. It comes with many Orchestral libraries because it's not just buying Kontakt you want the libraries that are made for it. They're great.

There is also a program that interests me called UVI Falcon I will be getting that at the end of the year. It is a sampler, synth. There is also Omnisphere which is a high-end synth which has so many unusual sounds on it. It is fabulous for soundtracks and string machines and comes with 12,600 patches.

Re: To update to Kontakt 5 or not?

I bought the UVI Falcon and it is great, you can easily 'get under the hood', and modify the sounds, add effects, scripts, etc. I feel it also has a superior sound engine to Kontakt (although that is subjective)..

I have almost all of their libraries. Only a couple of synth emulation instruments are a bit misleading. Because the GUI has pictures of controls which don't actually work. But not a big deal. Some of them are quite clever. You can really get seriously into the technical aspect of it, by writing scripts etc, but that is too deep for me.

If you're really into orchestral scoring, Kontakt still has the most libraries.. UVI's libraries, are generally very good. And when a new one comes out, and periodically they offer good discounts on individual instruments. Their Bohemiam Cello and Violin are very expressive, although perhaps limited in the scope of use..

UVI's stuff works very well, installation is very clearcut. Sounds are very hi fidelity. The company responds quickly to tech support. I am VERY pleased with Falcon..

The main issue would be as mentioned before. The Falcon is great at creating new, and different virtual instrument sounds. They also have some nice 'world instruments'.. Well sampled esoteric exotic instruments. If you want the top sounding orchestral libraries, still need Kontakt.

Go Back to forum