• Register
  • Help

Topic: Guru sought: Aardvark 24-96/NForce 2/Sonar 3 Prod....

Share/Bookmark

Guru sought: Aardvark 24-96/NForce 2/Sonar 3 Prod....

Back to square one: In the interest of getting the ball rolling and reducing personal stress, I\'ve decided to ditch Gigastudio once and for all. I want to use ONLY Sonar 3 (well, maybe adding SoundForge 7).
    Can I get the quality samples integrated into my music that gigastudio promised (but, unfortunately couldn\'t deliver on my system) with Sonar 3 alone? (do I HAVE to get Kontakt/Halion or is Sonar 3 Producer sufficient?)

Here\'s my rig:
    Athlon XP 2500+
    512 MB PC2700 SDRAM
    80 GB SEagate Barracuda IV ATA 133 7200 RPM
    80 GB Maxtor Diamondplus 9 ATA 100 7200 RPM
    AOPen AK79D-400VN NForce 2 Motherboard
    NVidia 5200 AGP video card, 128 MB SDRAM
    Onboard sound NForce Audio (software based?)
    MPU-401 Comapitble MIDI Device
    Aardvark 24/96
    Asus CD RW Drive slave 1
    Asus DVD drive slave 2
    Windows 2000, System Pack 4

Even though I\'ve RTFM, the Aardvark Configuration panel\'s a bit of a head-scratcher. While I underSTAND it when I read through, being able to work out how to CONFIGURE it for various scenarios is the bitch. I need to configure it to:

1. Record vocals with a \"wet reverb\" headphone mix (playing MIDI and audio back) and a \"dry\" Input into Sonar.
    2. Record guitars while monitoring it along with backing tracks through studio monitors
    3. Input MIDI from a kawai keyboard while monitoring backing tracks -- configuring the MIDI to play samples of a quality on par with Gigastudio\'s (I bought some Akai libraries I thought I could use with Gigastudio)

So my questions are (and they\'re big ones, I know):

1. What should the settings be for the Aardvark\'s control panel to achieve those ends?

2. With only my Aardvark, Sonar 3 Producer and the onboard sound to choose from, what should I be choosing to output quality MIDI?

3. CAN I obtain top quality MIDI performance with just what I have?

4. What should the MIDI settings be in Sonar 3 Producer with the Aardvark and onboard NForce chip?

5. How do I install Sonar 3 to use my \"D\" drive for soundfiles?

I must sound like a total dolt, but, comparatively, my rig with Cakewalk 9, a Delta 44 and Soundblaster was a frigging SNAP to configure and use. If somebody can help me with these 4 hurdles, I swear I will get busy and hassle no one for a significant length of time.

Thanks for your time, one and all....

Re: Guru sought: Aardvark 24-96/NForce 2/Sonar 3 Prod....

2. With only my Aardvark, Sonar 3 Producer and the onboard sound to choose from, what should I be choosing to output quality MIDI?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sonar3 Producer comes with a DXi version of a soft synth called \"VSampler 3\" (http://www.vsampler.com). That sampler supports Akai and Giga format libraries for import. There\'s some issue with their disk streaming, but as long as you have enough memory you can load samples into RAM until they figure out whatever the problem is.

If you aren\'t already aware of what DXi (DirectX instrument) and VSTi (VST instrument) plugin technologies are then I\'d start there, since that\'s what you\'re dealing with VSampler, Halion, Kontakt, etc.

- Keith

Thanks, friend. Every little piece of knowledge is making the picture gradually clearer.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

\"3. CAN I obtain top quality MIDI performance with just what I have?\"

If you\'re looking at straight MIDI, then of course. MIDI doesn\'t take a whole lot of horsepower to push through, unlike digital audio.

\"4. What should the MIDI settings be in Sonar 3 Producer with the Aardvark and onboard NForce chip?\"

I would just use the Aardvark\'s inputs & outputs, and would not use the onboard sound at all if possible. Onboard sound is not known for being high-quality stuff. Also, what do you mean by MIDI settings other than inputs & outputs?

\"5. How do I install Sonar 3 to use my \"D\" drive for soundfiles?\"

Within Sonar 3 go to Options->Global, then click on the tab marked Audio Data. There you can set the folders you use for saving the actual audio data and the waveform displays separately.

That\'s what I can help you with. Good luck with the rest. FWIW, sometimes just experimenting with the routing options can get you where you want to go.
    O.

Thanks, brother. Most appreciated.

And I meant the routing in the Aardvark control panel.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My sympathies about the Aardvark control panel. It\'s just designed to mess with your mind, that\'s all there is to it. Keep fiddleing with it until you have it figured out. Then next week you\'ll go back to it and say, \"how did I do that???....\" [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Wow. I\'ve never had problems with the aardvark control panel. Sorry to hear that you\'re having difficulties.

You can turn the reverb on for monitoring purposes by raising the reverb knob on the mixer panel for the input of the pre-amp you are using. The only time it will record is if the Record FX box is highlighlighted for your specific preamp.

The only time it will record is if the Record FX box is highlighlighted for your specific preamp.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I thought the EQ and compression only get recorded with the FX button and that reverb was only recorded via \'record the monitor signal\' using inputs 5,6.

OT:
    the 24/96 is a very nice card in certain areas.
    Only wish this card was available as PCMCIA or firewire version. The DSP part would be very handy for on the road.

Go Back to forum