• Register
  • Help

Topic: How to have 3GB RAM avail with win xp pro ...

Share/Bookmark

How to have 3GB RAM avail with win xp pro ...

I found this interesting tweak for those of you
    willing to spend some $$$ on ram and to load more samples [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] :

Here we run a CAD application on Win XP-PRO,
    which at one moment needs to alocate about 2.5GB .
    The problem was that ALWAYS when the 1.91 GB limit is reached a message about \"Memory Manager - out of storeage..\' appears.

We bought more RAM (initial was 1.5GB, now is 2G),
    nothing change.

Finally we find that in fac was a SO limitation.
    By default Windows XP/2k/NT set a limit for the maximum alocated memory per process - 2G.

On Win XP_Pro/2k we can increase taht limit, maximum 3G.
    all you have to do is to add a \"/3GB\" switch in your boot.ini file (off course you have to have the admin rights).

Now my boot.ini looke like:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\\WINDO WS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\\WINDOWS=\"Mic rosoft Windows XP Professional\" /fastdetect /3GB

Re: How to have 3GB RAM avail with win xp pro ...

an app has to be specifically coded to address the 3GB extension, I doubt Giga can currently do this, but it\'s worth a test.

This has been discussed in a thread on the VSL forum recently. There are some problems that make this unusable for Giga.

1. The application has to be built with 3GB support. AFAIK Giga isn\'t.

2. The aim of the 3GB switch is to up the amount of user mode process memory while keeping system memory low. The extra switch \"userva\" which controls the relation between user and system can only be set so that the user part is between 2GB and 3GB. The default value cuts the system memory part from 2GB to 1GB and up the user mode from 2GB to 3GB. Problem is...the msg32 runs in kernel mode and allocates from kernel level memory (according to Tascam in the VSL thread).

The result of the above mentioned points is that GS will see less memory with the 3GB switch than without. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

/Mattias

I wonder if /2.5GB or other settings work as well?

It would be great if somebody with more than 2GB would try this with Giga. I\'ve got 1.5, so I can\'t run the test.

Go Back to forum