• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Names of some good jazz or big band groups

Share/Bookmark

Names of some good jazz or big band groups

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I\'ve been listening to the \'Big Band of Rogues\' a japanese big band group and I\'m lovin this stuff. Anybody know of some other great jazz or big band groups?

Re: Names of some good jazz or big band groups

I saw Dave Brubeck at The Hollywood Bowl in 2001. It was his 80th B-day celebration. He had a big band play with him. Their name was the Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra. I don\'t know anything about them other than the fact that they made me crap my pants because they were so good. They tend to get a little jazzy, but they might be the tightest orchestra I\'ve ever heard and I would recommend buying something from them.

yeah definetly check out the Gil Evans Big Band with Maria Snieder unbelievably cool

The Mingus Big Band

Count Basie Band, Duke Ellington

For small groups way to many but any of the Miles Davis groups especially the 60\'s line up with Herbie Hancock and Tony Williams Ron Carter
    and the John Coltrane groups

a good guide is to follow all the pianists that played with Miles and check out their groups

Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarret,Joe Zawnful, Bill Evans, Red Garland, Wynton Kelly
    etc

cheers

For some modern \"hard swing\" check out The Cherry Poppin\' Daddies, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and The Brian Selzer Orchestra.

A great resource for an historical jazz overview is Ken Burn\'s Jazz, that was aired on PBS a few years ago. I would guess that it\'s available on DVD somewhere.

Your life is incomplete until you\'ve listened to the classic Gil Evans stuff, especially Sketches of Spain and Porgy and Bess (both with Miles Davis)

I just went and saw Doc Sevreignson and that was a great big band show... fifth row!!!

Originally posted by Nick

Your life is incomplete until you\'ve listened to the classic Gil Evans stuff, especially Sketches of Spain and Porgy and Bess (both with Miles Davis)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Gil was a heck of an orchestrator and worth further study. His scores are available but I keep forgetting to order them.

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    To add to the list of the big guns...
    Stan Kenton (jaw dropping high range brass writing)
    Buddy Rich
    Woody Herman
    Thad Jones/Mel Lewis
    Rob McConnell
    Maynard Fergusson
    Bob Mintzer big band

You can\'t go wrong with any of the above.

Lee Blaske
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Great list Lee. I grew up on these bands (Mintzer came later) - especially Kenton. Bob Curnow, ex-Kenton arranger, has a fantastic CD of arrangements of Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays. Came out about two years ago or so.

I can never get enough of Keith Jarrett - solo and trio.

Originally posted by Alan Lastufka:
    I just went and saw Doc Sevreignson and that was a great big band show... fifth row!!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The Rialto in Joliet? I was there in row 13.

NO WAY!!! That\'s awesome, yeah, it was the first time I had seen a show there ever! It is a beautiful place, the saxes could have been a little louder, but everything else was nice. My step-dad took me, Doc was one of his favs. I think I was the youngest person there *LOL* but it was fun...

...and hey, Weird Al will be there the 28th so, rock on! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Nick Batzdorf:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">yeah and \"Birth of the Cool\"

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast