• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Lullaby - using DIVAX (beta), GPO and Ozone 3

Share/Bookmark

Lullaby - using DIVAX (beta), GPO and Ozone 3

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    This is a spec cue I had created with other instruments, and decided to go back and re-arrange it for a beta of DIVA Extended and Garritan Personal Orchestra.

The DIVA voice (one out of more than 50 [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] )uses a straight tone to vibrato cross-fade that I converted directly from Giga format into HALion 2.0.2, which uses the mod wheel to control the amount of vibrato. For the instruments I used GPO\'s Celesta, Harp 1, solo Violins 2 & 3, solo Viola, Cello and Double Bass, as well as a bit of the cymbal roll from the Cymbals patch.

The GPO instruments were loaded into the full version of Kontakt 1.5.1 (running the DFD engine 1.2.4), just for fun - to see how the two samplers played togther while streaming on the same machine with a small mix. It seemed to go without a hitch - even with the voice count above 60 (including the gliss in the harp) in Kontakt alone, the VSTi performance meter didn\'t go above 15%. Nice.

As usual, I mixed everything down with iZotope\'s Ozone 3 pre-mastering plugin. And for a change of pace, I opted to use their room reverb. For most of my other mock-ups, the ensembles have been a bit larger and the Ernest Cholakis impulses from GOS piped through Nuendo\'s Acoustic Stamp seemed to be a better fit. But here I decided to craft something smaller and make a reverb sound that would be more along the lines of \"conspicuous by its absense\".

I think iZotope should be doing more with reverb, especially since I think that they are relatively unknown in that space. Their room model is something special to work with - the controls are intuitive and the result is silky smooth.

Originally, this cue was designed to sit \"around\" a deep mail voice over, so I used Ozone\'s multi-band compressor to hold back the low mids a bit in the swell, but then I inched up the entire mix before I cut myself off and declared \"enough\".

Anyway, it was a nice break from Respighi to put this together and finally feel like I have some closure with one of the things on my to-do list. The Screenblast project linked below contains both audio (MP3) and video (Quicktime) files for your perusal. Enjoy.

Lullaby

Re: Lullaby - using DIVAX (beta), GPO and Ozone 3

Yeah, but did you use the space continuum, cereberal palsy, particle regenerator? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Diva sounds very nice.

Very nice H3!

If I remember correctly, DIVA X is just the 1st DIVA, have you tried blending her straight tones with DIVA #2, how does it sound... I think it might produce some very groovy FX...?

Hey Sharmy,

Try Control-Click and select \"Download Link to Disk\".

SWL

Originally posted by Alan Lastufka:
    Very nice H3!

If I remember correctly, DIVA X is just the 1st DIVA, have you tried blending her straight tones with DIVA #2, how does it sound... I think it might produce some very groovy FX...?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have a few film spec cues where I plan to use both DIVA and DIVAX, but I\'m still getting those together. I\'m not really sure how the immediate vibrato will flow with something that uses a straight tone. I guess it would be something like a string section where everyone starts their vibrato a bit differently. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Sharmy, if you can\'t use the instructions above to get the file locally and play it, let me know. I\'ll go into our lab (my only access to a Mac) and see what the issue might be. If it\'s a Flash incompatibility issue (or some other problem that can\'t be surmounted), I\'ll find another way to get the file to you.

Hi Sharmy,

I had no problems on my Powerbook last night (Panther with Safari). I clicked on the play icon from the link and it played back the audio fine for me. Sorry I can\'t be of more help than that.

FV

Don\'t worry Sharmy. You didn\'t miss much. Talk about cluttering up the forum. I think Diva sounds great. We\'ve heard a bunch of demos recently and inspite of the jokes that got out of hand, the response was very good. But what is the point in posting some 20 second non descript piece of music and going on and on about how you produced some sonically average and musically challenged piece of music. I want to hear Simon, Thomas, Maarten, Marsdy, Joanne, Kuno and everyone else who has something musical to offer. And there are many. So here\'s what I\'m saying. \"If you suck, lay low and maybe only post music once a week.\" And don\'t worry, if you are new to midi orchestration and you want some feedback, people are generally very cordial, as long as you don\'t come off like a blockhead.

Is this lullaby intended to make you sea sick? -- cause I felt the urge to vomit after hearing this one -- and I\'ve already earned my sea legs...

It sounds like this blockhead thought that paying for and completing the \'acquire perfect pitch in 14 days or you money-back-guaranteed!!\' ad in the back of guitar player magazine would solve any musical inadequacies ... trust me -- i\'ve already tried that one out and we both know we\'re not fooling anyone ... a pair of bad ears are a pair of bad ears ...

I think we should all be nicer to Houston. I think he played that with his swollen toe.

I wish I\'d have actually fallen asleep right at the beginning and wake up again when it was finished.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast