• Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: OT - NEWS: Hans Zimmer sued by longtime business partner

Share/Bookmark

OT - NEWS: Hans Zimmer sued by longtime business partner

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/7425347.htm

What the hell??! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Ed

Re: OT - NEWS: Hans Zimmer sued by longtime business partner

Yeah it\'ll be interesting. Bye bye MV possibly. But Zimmer will just set up a new company.

\"Jay Rifkin contends in his lawsuit that he helped build their company, Media Ventures Entertainment, into a \"well-oiled machine,\" with advanced facilities and numerous resident composers who wrote parts of scores for Zimmer, freeing the lauded composer to handle multiple projects.\"

----rant-----

One of my friends was an orchestrator for a big composer in Hollywood. What does that mean? The guy would hum a melodic line to my friend and he would make an orchestral score for it, and get maybe 2-3% of the \"composers\" pay.

It makes me wonder who actually wrote the score for Gladiator.

I asked some time ago what was happening on Media Ventures and I received no reply. That´s the answer [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] !!!

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes , only for orquestrate the Gladiatort score , there was 4 guys. In spite of that I still love Zimmer´s works [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ...

Actually 6 guys [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

One of my friends was an orchestrator for a big composer in Hollywood. What does that mean? The guy would hum a melodic line to my friend and he would make an orchestral score for it, and get maybe 2-3% of the \"composers\" pay.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m sure this has happened along the way but I think it would be almost unheard of these days.

I mean, how could a composer get a cue approved by a director if all he did was hum a few bars?

Also, if the orchestrator overtly changed or coloured the cue, it wouldnt be what the director signed off on in the first place.

I know I\'ll cop flak for this, but I think that orchestrators sometimes get too much credit. Don\'t get me wrong, I have a great respect for their knowledge, but they are not the \"ideas man\" or the creator of the emotion for a piece.

They make suggestions and corrections - not creations.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard. Jeff Rona wrote a \"marketplace\" cue, Heitor Pereira played some guitar, Djivan Gasparyan played Duduk and I think Klaus Badelt wrote a cue that didnt make it into the film.

Despite the things said about Media Ventures being a composers sweat shop or whatever, I think Hans has earned (and deserves) some respect.

I\'ll get off my soapbox now.

\"This is not a sad day for Hans - it\'s Hans\' day of freedom.\"

I hope this is right! I hope everything works out for the best. Either way Hans will still bless us with great music.

Yes, Hans was not the only composer on Gadiator. There is actually 4 according to the CD book. Only 5 out of the 17 where not written or co-written by Zimmer at all. However don\'t forget he co-produced the soundtrack. So it\'s not like he didn\'t have the final word on the other songs that he didn\'t write. Anyway, Hans has my full respect! He is one of the greats IMO.

Originally posted by WayneSim:
    \"This is not a sad day for Hans - it\'s Hans\' day of freedom.\"

I hope this is right! I hope everything works out for the best. Either way Hans will still bless us with great music.

Yes, Hans was not the only composer on Gadiator. There is actually 4 according to the CD book. Only 5 out of the 17 where not written or co-written by Zimmer at all. However don\'t forget he co-produced the soundtrack. So it\'s not like he didn\'t have the final word on the other songs that he didn\'t write. Anyway, Hans has my full respect! He is one of the greats IMO.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well in the same token Gladiator would not be near as good without the participation of Lisa Gerrard. Shes makes the whole soundtrack.

And just on a completely pointless side-note, Your quoting WayneSim from Melbourne, Australia - and Lisa is from...

Melbourne, Australia. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast