• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: My 2 cents

Share/Bookmark

My 2 cents

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I am pretty new to northernsounds and I am here because I was directed to East West\'s forum when I bought EWQLSO. So maybe that makes me bias, but I don\'t think so. I love the sounds. I own the vast majority of orchestra samples and find EWQLSO to be my favorite ones. I am a little suprised to see Nick\'s reaction to some of the posts. I thought he would be more classy than that. But, it seems to me like he is the only developer who is directly posting things. I was very suprised to find out that Mr. Z6 is on Gary Garritan\'s team. To me, it is the same if Gary Garritan comes on here and says bad things, or one of his employees. It looked like Mr. Garritan sent out his troops to attack east West, to me. I earn a living as a composer in Los Angeles and don\'t pretend to know everything, but I have noticed that often times viewpoints here are somewhat surrealistic. No one, that I know, likes Garritan\'s strings, probably because they don\'t have any vibrato or pizazz. We all use SI and now EWQLSO. But at northernsounds, he seems to be king. It\'s interesting to me.
    A while ago, I got really angry when I forked out $1000 for GOS and heard that it was not recorded at the Lincoln Center. I\'m also a little peaved that East West is releasing cheap versions. I thought they weren\'t going to do that. So maybe they are all a bunch of rip off artists? But I guess I should just be grateful for the tools.

Re: My 2 cents

I never liked GOS either.

Originally posted by delfburg:
    I was very suprised to find out that Mr. Z6 is on Gary Garritan\'s team.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You\'ll be amazed to find out who is involved where here if you ever can...

PatS

Z6 is a member of the GPO beta team; he is not one Gary\'s employees. For the record, Gary did not ask any of us on the beta team to go after EWQL. We did that of our own volition (and I have since retracted my posts). Gary is one of the kindest people I know, and he has never spoken ill of anyone to me either in person or over the phone. Yes, he has expressed his fear and frustration regarding recent events. But he is not orchestrating an attack on EWQL (no pun intended).

What\'s done is done, and now it\'s time to move on. Let\'s stop fanning the flames.

Pat

I have no allegence to either camp, but I highly doubt that Gary Garritan has sent anyone to these forums to speak for him. Frankly, it kind of ticks me off that anyone would suggest that.

I\'m sure Gary can speak quite well for himself, but chooses to remain quiet as he readies GPO for release. Why should he bother jumping into the fray anyway? Nothing good could come of it.

Those who have served on his beta team are obviously going to be a little biased. After all, they\'ve had a chance to work with GPO, just as those who work with/have purchased EWQLSO will be biased in favor of Silver.

The bottom line is that they are probably both excellent products. So why the sniping and bitterness?

I\'ve said this before, I\'ll say it again: we\'re all here because of a common bond -- the love of music. Why don\'t we celebrate that fact rather than tear each other down.

GPO sounds great. EWQLSO sounds great. VSL sounds great. Same flavor ice cream, three different brands. Let\'s enjoy them all.

I agree. I posted that we should all wait until the actual products ship before we evaluate them, and almost got my head bit off here. What\'s up with this? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

No one, that I know, likes Garritan\'s strings, probably because they don\'t have any vibrato or pizazz. We all use SI and now EWQLSO.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No vibrato? HUH? To whit: ARTICULATIONS

</font><ul type=\"square\">[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sustain Vibrato Normalé</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sustain Vibrato Normalé with Release Triggers</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sustain Vibrato Normalé with Expression Control</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sustain with Vibrato Control (with Mod Wheel)</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sustain Legato Vibrato with MaestroTools™ Legato Mode feature</font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sustain Legato Vibrato with Legato Mode & Expression Control</font>[/list]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">...just to name a few...

Check your facts - especially since you claim to own the library... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Also, check - Gary\'s endorsements

John Keene uses Orchestral Strings in the Award-Winning Television series \'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation\'“I love the Garritan strings! I use them everyday”.

Mark Isham \"I\'m very impressed. It truly is an excellent collection of superb samples. The most important aspect of it to me is the expression tool. This truly brings a new level of control and expression to sampled instruments.\"

Jeff Rona \"The Garritan are amazing!\" \"It is a magnificent achievement, that is for certain. It is far and away the most well thought out and programmed library I have ever seen.

Question: who exactly to you mean with you say \"we\"? I\'m a member of the Society of Composers and Lyricists, and I live in Los Angeles, and you certainly don\'t seem to speak for those quoted on Gary\'s site or for me.

A while ago, I got really angry when I forked out $1000 for GOS and heard that it was not recorded at the Lincoln Center.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You heard wrong - or were the pictures published in the London Times doctored? Someone owes you an apology for the attempted smear - and they probably owe one to Gary, too.

I earn a living as a composer in Los Angeles and don\'t pretend to know everything,
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Just curious, delfburg... first name wouldn\'t be Danny, would it? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

- Keith

I have no problem with GOS, I use it all the time. But I don\'t live in Los Angeles so I guess it doesn\'t count. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Yes, also I thought that GOS are worst than SISS .GOS sounds death, artificial. I don´t like them. I don´t know why so many people prefering them...

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast