• Register
  • Help

Topic: Attack of Bassoonosaurus X

Share/Bookmark

Attack of Bassoonosaurus X

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    I would welcome any feedback on this piece regarding composing.

I often write music for kids (a lot of rock, jazz, small brass, woodwind group stuff) and almost never for orchestra.

I have to admit, I went to Marteen\'s new site and listened to the demos and just felt inspired and challenged to try and write music like that. I guess I often think of it as film-like.

The piece is about a belligerent bassoon who rises up from years of orchestral servitude to take on the dominating instruments of oppression. Bassoonosaurus is joined by a raspy bass clarinetist who feels empathy and joins the uprising. (side note: at one point in the rehearsel, the infamous conductor stops, covers his eyes and says, \"I give you 10 seconds to change seats.\" Whereby the whole orchestra frantically picks a new seat breaking standard orchestral seating. Actually they all ran and sat on the bassoon player. But back to our story...) After several minutes of horrid slaughter, everyone has expired but the 3rd chair violinist, who forgot to take off his mute, and some percussion players, who just returned from the bar across the street.

http://happytoot.com/music/OrchDrama_demo.mp3

Thanks for any feedback.

Re: Attack of Bassoonosaurus X

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Hey, lot\'s of humor in that (story and music)! Like the sound, too. (1. violin is xsample?) Intersting piece. I love the end when everybody is dead [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] . Never thought a bassoon could cause such damage!

Great!

Marty, interesting piece and fun story. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Maybe little on the short side, but your build up was nice!

Thanks for compliments. And thanks for saying it was too short. I do indeed welcome any criticism of the piece.

Yes, Xsample violin, bassoon and bass clarinet. I love Xsample libraries. Very easy to load and keyswitches give me needed articulations.

Yes, Xsample violin, bassoon and bass clarinet. I love Xsample libraries. Very easy to load and keyswitches give me needed articulations.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah, me too I like\'em a lot. The basson and bass clarinet are very good. But why should the piece be too short? Depends on context. If it\'s a (stand alone) piece for symphonic orchestra, ok, then it\'s too short. But if it\'s a demo it\'s just the right size, I think.

Hey Steve,
    A little on the dark and morbid side for some of your younger listeners, no?.... I like that. Very nice little piece. No comments other than, I just plain enjoyed it. Your little story added a nice Tim Burton-Nightmare before Xmas imagery for me too. Always a nice way to start a new day.

christianb

A little on the dark and morbid side for some of your younger listeners, no?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] No doubt! But kids must learn about THE DARK SIDE (heavy Darth-like breath).

Markus, this is one of the few times I used X sample Contra Bassoon, too. I used it to double the Bass part and I feel it really helps to add some edge.

Hey Marty,
    this contra basson is awsome! Sounds very dark. I already wanted to suggest you to compose part two: Attack of the *contre*bassoonosaurus! Btw what do you think of the english horn and the oboe? I had the impression that they\'re of less quality than the bassoon.
    Markus.

Well, i know what you mean about the oboe and E. horn. Honestly, I use them a lot because I don\'t really have anything else and I don\'t think they are bad. The X sample oboe and e. horn are a bit flat in expression, in my opinion, but I feel they are fine for most of what I do. And again, with all articulations loaded in, I\'m happy enough to keep using them. If I need a dark tone, one of the keyswitches has a sombre, dark tone to it.

Sometimes, when I load my miroslav oboe I hear the warmth that the x sample lacks, but then again my miroslav oboe lacks other things.

The other library I bought from X samples is the percussion volume. I\'m happy with that as well. A lot of sounds to choose from. It\'s almost like having a soundeffects library of unique percussion.

double post

Go Back to forum