• Register
  • Help

Topic: My piano's soundboard cracked. Help!

Share/Bookmark

My piano\'s soundboard cracked. Help!

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Oops, my piano\'s (old Bechstein 1875) soundboard has cracked (twice). Probably due to dry air. Is this bad? Should and can it be fixed? Any info is very much appreciated.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Re: My piano\'s soundboard cracked. Help!

Hi Alex,

I wish I could diagnose piano technical queries over the internet, but I am not a piano technician. I suspect I couldn\'t even if I was. Do you know a capable competent piano technician? I\'d start with whoever regularly tunes the instrument.

I\'m curious, how does it sound? I\'ve heard of a number of pianos with cracked sound boards. Generally if it doesn\'t sound cracked it\'s OK. If it sounds cracked (and I\'m not sure how that\'s manifested) then it should be repaired or replaced. Sound boards can usually be replaced, the question is whether the instrument is worth it. Good luck.

Steve
    http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler

Alex. Where are you locateD? I know some piano technicians in NYC, LA, and upstate NY. I would call around to local universities and ask who they use. Sometimes they have someone on staff who is very, very good.

-dev

Steve, yeah my piano tuner is also a technician and I will talk with him soon but sometimes I get the feeling he\'s too anxious to give my piano the full loving treatment and charge me big time. You never know that someone on this board might say that fixing a soundboard is like throwing your money away. Also, at first glance, the cracks don\'t seem to affect the sound.

Devin, what a nice gesture. Your offer almost makes me wish I did but there\'s this whole Atlantic Ocean seperating us. Thanks though.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Bleh!

Atlantic, Slantic. Jus\' strap a engen on \'dat pianer \'ou got \'der an\' rid\'em on ovar!

Why don eye jus do tha ol\' Russ.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Hi Alex,

I\'m aware that some technicians seem only too pleased to offer assistance (and a quote). Replacing the soundboard may (probably will) alter the instrument\'s sound significantly. As for repairing the soundboard the feasibililty of that is something only someone who\'s inspected it thoroughly could do. I guess the real question is to inquire from several piano techs what a rebuild might cost. That\'ll at least give you an idea of what the budget will need to be. It\'s not worth investing a lot of thought into if there\'s no way you could afford it.

At 128 years old it must be a very interesting instrument. So what\'s it sound and play like?

Steve Chandler
    http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler

Steve,

Thanks for the advice. I will do a proper inquiry.
    Well, the piano sounds a bit like the Steinway B from East West (but mine has a better attack and I can make it sound brighter, though not metallic, if I want. For a piano that old it preserved an equal and balanced, direct tone (the hammers need to be injected, I\'m afraid). The attack goes into a sustain with a long smooth decay and without the level drop ( after 1 sec.) that some other pianos have. That\'s why I bought it for. It also has a surprisingly fast action.
    Actually, I should produce a sampled piano from this instrument. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

------------
    Alex Cremers

Go Back to forum