• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie alert

Share/Bookmark

Newbie alert

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hi all,

someone over at Sound on Sound - http://sound-on-sound2.infopop.net/ - recommended I come here for some advice about making music for film. Basically I\'m a musician who\'s really interested in starting to write for film and I\'m looking for a bit of an idiot\'s guide to getting started, that deals with technical side of things. At the moment I\'m using Cubase 5.1 as my sequencer, on a Mac running OS9.1 and have a few bits of outboard. Does anyone have any links to some useful sites that could tell me how to use Quicktime (or something else) and how to sync it up with Cubase?

Thanks a lot,
    FasterMikeyH

Re: Newbie alert

Mikey, you find lots of answers to your questions by searching through previous posts. In particular, search through the Sample Libraries forum. This Off Topic area is more of a recent addition.

I myself have asked lots of sync related questions here as well as orchestration questions, reverb, bit depths, sampling, etc, etc. Lots of knowledgeable and friendly people here.

Just briefly, Cubase SX lets you open Quicktime up inside the sequencer. I\'m not sure if older versions of Cubase do this. Also, if you don\'t already know, the way to go these days is to digitise the film clip and not bother with syncing up a vcr. Sounds like you already know this if you are talking about QT. Search on digitise and digitize for lots of information.

Also, not to be rude but try to make your questions more specific and then you can get detailed answers.

Finally, try searching at Amazon for books on composing. \"THe Reel World\" by Jeff Rona is quite good.

Cheers, Scott.

Hi Mikey,

Welcome to the forum. And yes, this is where you should be if you are intersested in any kind of composing or computer based music.

Software forum is just now addressing the issue of writing for film and has some good book references. Here\'s the link:

http://www.northernsounds.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002741

Hi Mickey,

I don\'t know how to sync Cubase and Quicktime, but I think you\'d be more likely to get a response if you nixed the humor. I ignored this thread because I\'m not interested in a Newbie Alert, apparently others feel the same way. I know there are people here who can answer your question so I\'d just suggest asking it (in your topic line). You can tell them you\'re a newbie in the body of your message. Good luck.

Steve

Originally posted by Joanne Babunovic:
    Software forum is just now addressing the issue of writing for film and has some good book references. Here\'s the link:

http://www.northernsounds.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002741
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Joanne, I\'ll check it out.

Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    try to make your questions more specific and then you can get detailed answers.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I guess the problem is that when starting out you often don\'t know the specific questions. Rest assured I\'ll come back with specific questions as new problems become apparent to me. I\'ll check out the book you mentioned and search through the sample libraries forum, thanks.

Originally posted by pantonality:
    but I think you\'d be more likely to get a response if you nixed the humor
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">LOL. OK, no more humour [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

FasterMikeyH

Go Back to forum