• Register
  • Help

Topic: Aaahh Please help! Dual Display AND TV out...

Share/Bookmark

Aaahh Please help! Dual Display AND TV out...

sponsored links

***Advertisments***
    Hi all, I know some of you guys must be doing this so please spill the beans....

I run my main DAW dual screen on two 19\" screens. I want to output fullscreen video to a TV but I DONT want to sacrifice a monitor display in the process. What is the best way to do this?

I know all about the Matrox Parhelia giving you Dual Display plus TV out but at the price they are going for I could pretty much build a third DAW and dedicate that to video playback on its own. (In fact, is that a viable idea?? I dont have any expensive time clocks or anything I use midioverlan)

THe way I wanted to do it was to install a PCI capture card with TV out but I believe that once I am in my sequencer (Cubase SX) it will automatically output any video to one of the monitors. I cant actually specify where to send the video footage.

I thought I could direct the captured video stream out to the capture cards TV out but I am told that this will only happen whilst I am in the capturing environment.

I have already bought the TV but have held off on buying the capture card or any other video card until I cant sort this out.

Does anyone have any suggestions? BTW, I am running a PC not a Mac.

Re: Aaahh Please help! Dual Display AND TV out...

Scott,
    Personally, I gave up the second display for TV out on my DAW. I use a lot of screensets instead of dual screen.
    As you\'ve found the cards that give 2xVGA +TV are expensive [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] You could :-

Use your G400\'s second out for video and add a G450 PCI graphics for your second display but I\'m not sure how this will affect your audio performance (graphics on PCI buss [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ) or

You could use a Miro DC30 (I wouldn\'t) which is the only capture card currently fully supported by Steinberg. But the DC30 is an old card which was discontinued a while back and I\'m not sure of the status of drivers for XP. OR

Just use the Video window in Cubase, put it on your second screen and ignore the TV bit for now?
    Not the best set of choices but that\'s about it for Cubase.
    About the directing your pics to a particular card, the second display of the G400 / G450 only act as a TV out if DVDMAX is enabled. So, if you add a capture card, it will be your TV out (simply turn off DVDMAX)

I think most Cubase / Nuendo users are really hoping Steinberg will implement support for more capture cards in the future, but for now there isn\'t much choice.
    Finally, when Nuendo 2 comes out I am considering building a PC (using Nuendo 1.6) purely for video and linking it to my main DAW by Systemlink. I\'ve tested this a little and so far it\'s OK except that you can\'t scrub over systemlink???
    The way I do things ATM (G450) is a stop gap until Steinberg sort out their capture card support.

Hope this helps

Brian

Hi Brian, thanks for taking the time to help me out here. I\'ve just gone and given you a rating. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

One thing I was curious about;
    About the directing your pics to a particular card, the second display of the G400 / G450 only act as a TV out if DVDMAX is enabled. So, if you add a capture card, it will be your TV out (simply turn off DVDMAX)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- This sounds like what I want to do! Leave DVDMax off, run both computer monitors as a dual display, and let the capture card run the tv out. Is this not possible?

ALso, do you know anything about the Studio DC10 plus capture card? It seems to offer everything I want.

Sorry, just one more question, In Cubase are you using Quicktime, Direct Show or Video for Windows? Have you found any advantage using one format over another?

Thanks again, Scott.

Scott,
    Sorry, I\'m not being very clear.
    You\'re right, ideally what you want to do is run your G400 / G450 with 2 monitors and add a capture card as a pci card.
    The problem is you want TV output. The only cards that will give you this in Cubase / Nuendo are Miro DC30, Matrox G400 / G450 (losing your 2nd monitor) or maybe firewire DV but I don\'t know if that works on PC.
    The reason I keep putting you off the DC30 is that last time I looked you could only get Win98 drivers for it and SX will only run under 2K / XP.

Do you really need TV out?

Before you go any further, I\'d suggest you try this....
    Get a video file (there\'s a video demo song with SX or download one of the net) and try putting the SX video window on your second monitor. The window comes in 3 sizes none of which are that big BUT if you right click on the video window, it becomes full screen [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] So if your second pc monitor is a reasonable size, you\'ll still get a good picture and retain the flexibility of a 2 monitor setup and you can buy a good capture card to give proper TV out once Steinberg have sorted out the compatability issues.
    Bear in mind, Steinberg were recently bought by Pinnacle so I would hope that they would be able to at least support Pinnacle cards in the near future, but nothing has been anounced.

If you think this is OK, any capture card should be able to capture video to then show on this inbuilt screen.

I\'ve heard of the DC10 but never used one.

I use Directshow as it\'s the only one I get a TV output with.

Thanks for the rating, does this mean I get some stars [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Brian

Hi Brian, thanks again for your help.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">- yeah I kinda do as I already went and bought the TV. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Oh well...

I had heard of Pinnacle\'s acquisition of Steiny so hopefully your\'e right - better support should be forthcoming.

Thanks for the rating, does this mean I get some stars
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t know mate but I\'ll see if I can vote for you again!!

Regards, Scott.

Scott,
    Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    [QB] Hi Brian, thanks again for your help.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No problem,

- yeah I kinda do as I already went and bought the TV. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] Oh well...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Only thing I can suggest is to ask on the Cubase or Nuendo boards about the Canopus, it\'s a firewire DV interface, a lot of people seem to use it on Mac but I don\'t know if it works on PC?

Brian

Hi Brian, I am now exploring the option of Syncing Cubase (master) to Vegas (slave) via MTC on the same machine.

Vegas has an option to output video to an external display.

Cheers, Scott.

Scott,
    In case your still trying to figure out which way to go with video, this was recently posted on the Nuendo board

\"Firewire DV on PC is not supported and won\'t most likely be supported in Nuendo 2.0 as well. Sorry.\"

So don\'t buy a firewire interface for PC [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Brian

Hi Brian, it\'s too late now but thanks anyway! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I have posted what I have done here

Thanks again though for all of your help advice.

Cheers, Scott.

Go Back to forum