• Register
  • Help

Topic: The natural major and minor triads?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation The natural major and minor triads?

Clearly chord substitutions make the need to stick to the natural major or minor triads irrelevant, but do they serve any other compositional role?

Re: The natural major and minor triads?

Heads up, Steve, everyone else on this forum blocked your name so they cannot see your post. So you might as well leave now.

Only 8 or 10, huh? Well, there's me.

Anyone else?
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    Only 8 or 10, huh? Well, there's me.

Anyone else?
    Pretty soon, you might be the only one who can see his post.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve614 View Post
    Clearly chord substitutions make the need to stick to the natural major or minor triads irrelevant, but do they serve any other compositional role?

I am not sure what you are actually asking here. By "Natural Triads" are you referring to diatonic triads? Or could you be referring to the natural, harmonic and melodic minor SCALES?

Is your question: do you need to use triads in your music? The quick answer is no. You can write monophonic music, that is music of a single line that only has melody and rhythm. You can write music that only uses rhythm, id est a drum solo, or for a Japanese Taiko ensemble. You can use vertical structures based on some other interval rather than the third that traditional triads are based on.

While your question may make sense to you, for us who have studied theory and have years of experience with both composition and performance, your question does not make a lot of sense. Perhaps if you reworded or expanded on what it is you are trying to understand then we could give you a more complete answer.

I believe that you indicated that you where going to pick up the "Composing Music" by William Russo. Have you done so and have you started working your way through it?

Ed
    //
    // Ars longa, vita brevis
    // http://edosbear.blogspot.com/
    //

I am here too.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum