• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Adagio for Strings

Share/Bookmark

Adagio for Strings

Hello all!This is, as usual, a piece long in the making.. it's been a while since a last fully finished composition. But here is my 'Adagio for Strings', then.It started.. just like that, with a short phrase that ended at some point and didn't want to go anywhere. Yet it did, slowly but steadily it evolved into a 7-minute piece. This is a first draft of it, cause I do think it needs to be energized a bit, refined here and there.. I think it's fitting for an Adagio to have this sort of 'walking' pace, slow evolution. But I want the rhythmic figures to be more interesting and varied. Give me your opinions on it and everything you like/dislike about the piece Thanks for your time and happy listening!
    LINK (updated Sept 4th): https://app.box.com/s/lbwnzcilvs802imfrcoqr6mf16tulahe
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Re: Adagio for Strings

I could not locate the reference for the Adagio for Strings. It may well be a problem at my end. Could you confirm the original location?

https://app.box.com/s/8nf97t9mdot57u...7w6ajp0Brindle

Tom

I'm sorry! It should be working now.

PS. The instruments are all from Vienna Symphonic Library.

Quote Originally Posted by Brindle View Post
    I'm sorry! It should be working now.

PS. The instruments are all from Vienna Symphonic Library.
    A nice, subtle progression. Did you use a DAW program?

The over-all effect is lovely and the Vienna strings provide a nice fullness. There were a few spots (very few) where I wanted to hear more movement within the parts. These spots seemed to rhythmically stall a bit. A raised tone or suspension would be all that is needed to carry the movement forward.

On the other hand, that is one persons opinion and not at all to be considered critical.

A composition well worth hearing. Thank you for all your work.

Tom

Hi Brindle.

Your Adagio for Strings really deserves to go beyond the draft status it lies in at the moment.

Others can give you more accurate suggestions than me. I can only say that it is a good starting point
    for a good piece of orchestral music.

Which VSL library do you work with?

Best regards
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    A nice, subtle progression. Did you use a DAW program?
    Thanks! Generally I wrote it all in Finale 2014 and then tweaked the dynamics a bit in Adobe Audition CS6.. there's this 'fade envelope' that I can lay on top of the whole piece and then adjust the curve accordingly. It's not perfect and I don't know how much of the effect you can hear, but that is what I tried to do.

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati
    Your Adagio for Strings really deserves to go beyond the draft status it lies in at the moment.
    Others can give you more accurate suggestions than me. I can only say that it is a good starting point
    for a good piece of orchestral music. Which VSL library do you work with?
    I am honoured to receive such feedback I've never thought of writing a full-fledged orchestral piece.. in some respects, I feel like I'm not ready yet, but who knows? Your idea is very good and I'm definitely considering it! I use the Kontakt 5 Factory Library that comes with VSL string samples, specifically this is just a slightly configured String Ensemble patch (to have a bit more legato feeling) for all the parts in the piece.
    'Music is like this pure thing that exists for its own sake, just to make something perfect..' ~ Ephram Brown

Very beautiful, and a wonderful harmonic pallet. Perhaps, at times there could be more movement - after cadences, it often resumes just as it was before, and as a result there wasn't a strong sense of direction. But then, maybe that is what you intend - more a meditation than a journey. Regardless, this is really lovely. Thank you for posting this!

All the best,
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

It is a rainy morning in Canada, and your Adagio was fitting the mood so well.
    I just liked the piece, period. It sounds as you kind of improvised, it shows less structure than what you would expect from a finished piece, but, to me, that is the charm of it.
    The fade outs are a bit over-done, you could flatten those curves in many spots to allow more end-volume.
    I am Hungarian-Canadian, so we supposed to be relatives with Estonians, maybe that is why your piece touched me.
    I hope you'll take my comments as it is intended, and if you do nothing more to this piece, it still is touching and lovely. Thanks for posting it.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    Very beautiful, and a wonderful harmonic pallet. Perhaps, at times there could be more movement - after cadences, it often resumes just as it was before, and as a result there wasn't a strong sense of direction. But then, maybe that is what you intend - more a meditation than a journey. Regardless, this is really lovely. Thank you for posting this!
    Thank you very much for the kind words and suggestions I love what you said about the palette and harmony, because for me that is one of the main goals when I write, to keep searching for different colours and shades.
    I totally agree that it needs more direction and I intend to work on giving it the final touch. Even today I played around with it for a while, listening and playing on the piano at the same time so I have a few ideas

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya
    It is a rainy morning in Canada, and your Adagio was fitting the mood so well.
    I just liked the piece, period. It sounds as you kind of improvised, it shows less structure than what you would expect from a finished piece, but, to me, that is the charm of it.
    The fade outs are a bit over-done, you could flatten those curves in many spots to allow more end-volume.
    I am Hungarian-Canadian, so we supposed to be relatives with Estonians, maybe that is why your piece touched me.
    I hope you'll take my comments as it is intended, and if you do nothing more to this piece, it still is touching and lovely. Thanks for posting it.
    Thanks! Yes it is very much improvised.. maybe a bit Wagner-like with the ever-continuous melody flowing, but that's just how it is for me very often. I like to start somewhere and see where I'm off to with the music. I sometimes repeat musical ideas, but I feel like every repetition needs to add something, while keeping ideas from the previous phrase. There are examples of this in Adagio too. But yes, structures always restrain me And I do plan to keep working on it.. maybe giving it a bit time to settle, but definitely coming back to it soon!

I really enjoyed your Adagio For Strings.

To me it feels like an adagio in that I get a sense that this is could be part of a larger piece. Something with more tension and release, an uneasiness that precedes this.

Phil

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast