• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Idea For Forum

Share/Bookmark

Idea For Forum

I hope I am not stepping on any toes here. I am wondering if something might be done to rejuvenite this forum. I used to be very active here, but since expanding my libraries to East West, Vienna and Cinematic Strings, I have been spending time elsewhere. As the tendency to become 'forumed-out' increases with each new forum you join, I have not been around as much. I see that Randy is essentially gone and apparently now holding forth on the MakeMusic forum.

Lately, I have been returning here as I have left or decreased my presence in other forums. It's the place where I first reached out for help, and I got a lot of it. So coming back here is something like coming home. There are other places I could spend my time, but none of them feel right. My Sonar forum is 99% about technical stuff, as it should be. but it's target audience is guitarists and electronic musicians. (Sonar/Cakewalk is now owned by Gibson). The Ning Composers' forum is too political. v.i. Control has a nice new sheen to it since their site upgrade, but their members seem more interested in film music, and which new hard drive is worth adding to their (already massive) toolkit; or if 64 GB of RAM is enough to run Hollywood Orchestra; etc. So that the classically-oriented composer feels like an outsider. Which brings me to my point:

Why not transform this forum into one with an emphasis on the classical composer? More than any other forum, Northern Sounds has been that kind of place. All it would take is a shift in emphasis. Instead of the focus being on Garritan libraries, have it be a place where classically oriented composers, using Garritan as well as other libraries, share their work and knowledge?

There is already a base here to build on. Changing the focus as I have suggested would differentiate from Make Music. People would go to Make Music for the technical help, and use Northern Sounds more for showcasing their work, as well as getting feedback on their compositional technique.

It's just an idea. If you can't find the right place to hang out, maybe it needs to be created, or created anew. So, is this a good idea? What do people think?

Re: Idea For Forum

Well, this place has been a bit dull for some time. Any solution, however, must take into consideration that it is sponsored by Gary, who obviously and understandably has a strong interest in protecting his investment. My feeling is that if he were to return to active participation here, there would be great improvement. He has, or is, leaving Make Music, so I am expecting some change, hopefully, soon.

Richard

I would gladly go along with anything that would enhance participation. I more than appreciate the desire to use only Garritan libraries here - after all, were it not for Garritan I would probably have never turned to the computer. My only observation is that with prices for a full EW Diamond Hollywood Symphony library down to just $600, we may have difficulty restricting participation to only Garritan samples. I presented a selection here not long ago that used a combination of Garritan PO and EW Symphonic Choirs and received considerable flack for it.

I believe there are two possible solutions. One would be to allow a variety of sample libraries to be used. The second would be the introduction of new or expanded Garritan libraries to attract new composers.

Tom

I think I fit the description as a classical oriented "composer",so I applaud your suggestions.
    We do not need to set new rules, since if you survey the still active members here, you will see ( as you do yourself) the libraries used is already a mixture of Garritan and others, and that includes me too. Garritan, supporting this forum has no actual presence of him for many years now. So, I wonder how much He cares about this Forum. His wondering around locations which is I am sure directed by business directives, makes one to come to conclusions that apart from wishing to sell his creation to more people, he is not willing to participate in our Forum. And, no one's creation was rejected because it is not 100% Garritan. And, that is how it should be, as we know the strong and weak points of all the libraries we use. The technology we have now allows us to use several libraries in the same piece, and it would be foolish to not allow this great opportunity.
    After this rambling of mine, yes, we should revive this great forum. As you said, it feels like home. It is too bad that Randy abandoned us, in gratefulness to his services to us, we should respect his decisions and stop hoping that he will show up here again, but we do need a leading force, and that can only evolve by us.
    So, I am all for your suggestions but have no idea how we individually can help in the revival. Let us at least keep this conversation going.

Ted

In the end, I suppose, the solution lies with us all; individually and collectively. If we keep writing and sharing our work here and telling others where we are others will come.

As for using other libraries here, I had one piece removed and received several negative comments because I had incorporated a non-Garritan library. Since then, however, that issue seems to have subsided. In fairness, several others came to my defense. So let's put that issue aside.

If in fact the old guard has gone on to other interests, then we have a fairly clean slate to play on. Let's respectively surrender the past to the past and build on what so many have begun.

I spent quite a while recently browsing among the hundreds of wonderful compositions already here. Many of them years old. Putting the tech issues aside, there is a wealth of creativity to enjoy from which a person may learn. Most of the composers have been gone from this forum for a long time but their genius remains.

What better testimony could there be to Gary than to have his original forum live on for the sake of creative composers who continue to use his samples and continue to be actively adding to a repository of works - many of which his genius and products made possible?

Tom

Great input, Richard, Tom and Ted. I agree that there is a good base here to continue and rebuild on. I certainly wanted to tread carefully, lest anyone think I did not have great respect for Gary and all he has done. Before GPO, I used a GM set on my Ensoniq soundcard. Pretty good sounds actually, but when GPO came out, I jumped at the chance to obtain a quality, affordable library. and for years that's all I used as I learned how to deal with midi. (Still learning!). The point about using different libraries, in light of their different strengths and weaknesses, is well taken. I still love the GPO woodwinds. I still use some brass, and percussion. The strings only occasionally. you do need to spend more to get better strings. I will probably also buy more Garritan libraries, like the jazz or band collections, to get hold of more of those wonderful woods. But most people do use a combination of libraries these days.

So let's try to pump some energy into this place! I did just sign up for the VI control forum, because of the degree of technical help available there. I will put this place on my personal info page there, hopefully some folks will be pointed in this direction. Ditto for other forums I frequent.

Let's keep the conversation going!

Tom_Davis
    I would gladly go along with anything that would enhance participation. I more than appreciate the desire to use only Garritan libraries here - after all, were it not for Garritan I would probably have never turned to the computer. My only observation is that with prices for a full EW Diamond Hollywood Symphony library down to just $600, we may have difficulty restricting participation to only Garritan samples. I presented a selection here not long ago that used a combination of Garritan PO and EW Symphonic Choirs and received considerable flack for it.

I believe there are two possible solutions. One would be to allow a variety of sample libraries to be used. The second would be the introduction of new or expanded Garritan libraries to attract new composers.

Tom

Tom:
    What kind of flack you had and from whom? It would have been totally unfair, since we are mixing libraries for years here.
    Since you are mentioning EW Symphonic Choirs, I have a hell of a time to get it working with the WB. If I would ask on a separate post, describing my problem, would you kindly tell me how you are using it?

Ted

Ted,

The person who was the most aggressive about using the EW Symphonic Choirs is no longer participating in the forum so his identity is moot. No good ever comes from opening old wounds.

As to the EW Symphonic Choirs, I am currently using them directly in Finale 2014. I have never used a DAW. However that may change soon. I have been reading up on Cubase Pro 8 and Artist 8. They seem straight forward and may actually be something I can grasp. A couple of years ago I was told that by not using DAW I would never be able to get a piece of music in the Christmas album. I found out later that wasn't true either. One must live and learn.

But I will do my best to answer any questions you may have about the choirs. I have been working mightily to get the words to sound good enough. That in itself is a major hurdle. But I am beginning to win the battle.

On the up side, my music continues to sell - mainly to churches and indy film makers. So life is good.

Tom

My questions to this forum, and the answers I have received, largely concern the art of orchestration and arranging -- which is what makes them so valuable. They could be applied to any sample libraries.

Allegro Data Solutions

There are a number of forums that address composition and arranging issues, but here we have people with the knowledge and willingness to help in an atmosphere of historic friendships and sharing. That's pretty special.

Tom

Go Back to forum