• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What Soundcard is Everyone Using?

Share/Bookmark

What Soundcard is Everyone Using?

I used to have an EMU-1212 PCI before I switched computers. The newer computer has only pcie slots, so I was never been able to put the card back in. Right now I'm using onboard sound to get my compositions done. I was wondering what everyone else was using and if anyone has any recommendations on affordable soundcards preferably internal and not USB based.

Regards,

Richard

Re: What Soundcard is Everyone Using?

Hi Richard,

It's a small world isn't it?
    I'm still using my E-MU 1616m with its cardbus (PCMCIA) card in a laptop.
    (No major productions here requiring super processing powers.)

Recently I came across an Expresscard to Cardbus adapter which allows me to migrate to Windows 7 with more RAM and a faster CPU and go 64 bit, which makes some difference.

E-MU made some really great internal cards in the past, at very competitive prices.
    The reason I stick with it is because I have 2 of the cardbus cards, one is a portable recording setup.
    (Both picked up at competitive prices from eBay.

Regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Hi,

I am using a Mackie Onyx 1640 mixer with an Onyx soundcard connect via firewire to my desktop. It presents a very clean sound. Unfortunately it is expensive and getting on in years (over 5 years old) They don't make it anymore and I will dread having to replace it.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I'm using the Steinberg UR-22, a USB external interface. It works well. I use it on both my computers. I keep my music rig offline. When I'm online on my other computer, I just plug it in and I have great sound there as well. I'm running M-Audio Bx5a speakers with a Mackie subwoofer. The only thing plugged into it is my small midi keyboard (aside from the speakers).

It is a small world indeed because I have been using an Emu 1212 unit also with my old 32 bit 'puter for quite a while. I have just upgraded to a 64 bit computer and was wondering if I can somehow use the 1212 in my new computer. Are there 64 bit drivers for it? Please tell me all about it if you will. Thanks in advance.

Larry Alexander

Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm thinking I leaning towards just purchase a new compatible EMU card that will work with the PCIE slot. I was pretty happy with the EMU-1212 PCI version.

@Larry:
    They do have 64 bit drivers! I was using my old EMU-1212 with a 64-bit machine just before this new computer. You may have the same problem as me though. You may have the old PCI version which will most likely not fit in your new computer just like mine, unless your computer has a PCI slot.

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    Thanks everyone for the replies! I'm thinking I leaning towards just purchase a new compatible EMU card that will work with the PCIE slot. I was pretty happy with the EMU-1212 PCI version.

@Larry:
    They do have 64 bit drivers! I was using my old EMU-1212 with a 64-bit machine just before this new computer. You may have the same problem as me though. You may have the old PCI version which will most likely not fit in your new computer just like mine, unless your computer has a PCI slot.

Regards,

Richard
    My Emu 1212 unit requires two PCI slots because there are two cards with the system and they are hooked together with a cable. Do I really need both of the cards for proper operation? An old dude needs to know.

Thanks,

Larry

I have the exact same one as you Larry! Based on how the EMU control panel works I would recommend keeping them together to avoid any issues. It may work though, but I wouldn't recommend it IMO. What's more important is that does your new computer have PCI slots?

Regards,

Richard

Because money is an object I'm using Sound Blaster on my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    I have the exact same one as you Larry! Based on how the EMU control panel works I would recommend keeping them together to avoid any issues. It may work though, but I wouldn't recommend it IMO. What's more important is that does your new computer have PCI slots?

Regards,

Richard
    Yes, my new 'puter has two PCI slots and one PCIE slot. The Emu unit would require both PCI slots. That means that I would have no more PCI slots for other uses.

Larry

Go Back to forum