• Register
  • Help

Topic: External SSD with USB3 vs 7200RPM Drive for Sample Streaming

Share/Bookmark

External SSD with USB3 vs 7200RPM Drive for Sample Streaming

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with External SSD Drives connected via USB3. Right now I have all my sample libraries on an internal 7200RPM Drive. Does anyone know if an external ssd drive connected via usb3 would be faster for streaming?

Regards,

Richard

Re: External SSD with USB3 vs 7200RPM Drive for Sample Streaming

I would think that since the SSD is much faster than a standard disk drive, that would be the way to go. The shorter the USB cable the better.

This is semi-speculation on my part.

Keep in mind that samples require a lot of "space" so you would need a high-capacity solid-state drive.

Best,

Larry Alexander

I have an external enclosure housing a 480 GB SSD attached to a Late 2012 MacMini via USB 3. Its function is specifically for streaming samples. Works like a charm!
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Thanks a lot Larry and efiebke for the replies. I guess I will fork out for that external SSD. I didn't want to do all that internal stuff. My computer case can only hold two hard drives, and I already have two in there. So, it's good to hear that the USB3 External SSD will preform! I have some libraries on my 7200RPM which are not streaming as well as they could be.

Regards,

Richard

Go Back to forum