Is there any one else that would like
    to see a Platinum version in 16bit???

thanks,
    Dave

Re: Platinum 16bit version Wanted!

Originally posted by ddk:
    Is there any one else that would like
    to see a Platinum version in 16bit???
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes - everyone, but it ain\'t gonna happen. Its been discussed many times here.

If it´s free [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] ...

Why do you want a 16bit format ?

Because it eats less of RAM.... i.e. you can have more instruments loaded on one system but got all mic positions.

What I really want is 16 bit version of platinum Far mics only - something like Gold edition but with Far mics and 16bits- more expensive than GOLD but still cheaper than Platinum.

I think it would be great for people
    who don\'t have 3 computers to be
    able to buy Gold and then pay extra
    for the 16bit hall mics to complete the
    library in 16bit!!

The hall mics are more important than 24-bit (IMHO), so this would unfortunately be a Platinum killer.

Hi,

Originally posted by ed buller:
    You need all the mics. Close, Stage and Hall. It is such a shame they went 24bit but I figure they won\'t change tack now.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">In a couple of years when it may be more feasible to run Platinum on a single computer, you\'ll be thanking Nick and Doug that they decided to go with 24-bit.

I think that because computers are now getting to the point where they can realistically deal with 24-bit libraries, this will become the standard. The shame here, I guess is that most of the libraries are becoming a little bit more closed. If the individual wave files were accessible, you could probably take a batch converter to the waves to bring them down to 16-bit in order to slim down on CPU requirements.

I suspect that it is quite a bit of work for EW to convert it for 16-bit Platinum version (ie convert the files, adjust and test programming of the instruments, create new Kompakt player for Platinum/16, create new packaging, etc.

Anyway, I\'m a little indifferent to it since I don\'t own Platinum (currently with Silver and soon to upgrade to Gold). I was not trying to argue against either option just trying to point out that the computers won\'t be choking on Platinum forever.

FV

Originally posted by MarcDerell:
    Because it eats less of RAM.... i.e. you can have more instruments loaded on one system but got all mic positions.
    "Platinum" owners can get "Gold" for $199, then you can compose in "Gold" and render everything with multiple passes in "Platinum" to your audio sequencer and mix there. You end up with the efficiency of composing 16-bit with the sonic superiority of the 24-bit samples and multiple mic positions of "Platinum".

Computers are getting faster and faster, and soon this won't tax even modest systems. Then we will release the 24-bit/88.2k version we have completed, which has an even better sound!

- Doug

Go Back to forum