• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gary has left MakeMusic???

Share/Bookmark

Question Gary has left MakeMusic???

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Due to Gary Garritan's departure from MakeMusic, there have been significant changes and a few hurdles to manage. I've spent the past couple of months working to secure the future of our project.

I've been in contact with Gary, Dan and MakeMusic and am pleased to say that the way is now clear for us to continue our beautiful Christmas Music tradition for this 12th year without MakeMusic's involvement.

Gary is giving us his full support and Dan has kindly agreed to continue mastering the project. Also, I have written confirmation from MakeMusic that they have no issues with us continuing without them.

Gary has left MakeMusic??? Shock!

This was skated over in your request for entries for the Christmas CD.
    (Excellent that you are arranging it again, Michael. Good for you.)

When did that happen?
    What's the story behind it, I wonder.
    No press release to be seen anywhere that I can find.
    Why is it being kept so quiet?

Whatever you decide to do Gary, I wish you all the very best.
    I do so hope that it leads to more of your wonderful sample libraries for us, the punters!

Regards,
    John.
    Author of MIDI tutorials at http://midi-tutor.proboards.com/index.cgi

Re: Gary has left MakeMusic???

Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post

When did that happen?

I do so hope that it leads to more of your wonderful sample libraries for us, the punters!

Regards,
    John.
    I am concerned about this as well, John. On Make Music's web page they still list all of the Garritan's libraries. Makes me wonder if Gary has lost control of his own libraries, especially after he asked on the Make Music forum what everyone would like to see in GPO5. Will there be a GPO5 now? Hopefully Gary himself can come back here and answer some of our questions about what's going on.

Gary A.
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post
    I am concerned about this as well, John. On Make Music's web page they still list all of the Garritan's libraries. Makes me wonder if Gary has lost control of his own libraries, especially after he asked on the Make Music forum what everyone would like to see in GPO5. Will there be a GPO5 now? Hopefully Gary himself can come back here and answer some of our questions about what's going on.

Gary A.
    Hi Gary,

Of course, MakeMusic bought out the Garritan libraries and brand name, so they still own them all I suspect.
    There was probably an agreement that he stay on for a period of time to manage the integration.

There was an article I read a while back about another (secret) project going on in another room when the CFX grand was being created at Abbey Road. I wonder whether that was privately (Garritan) or MM funded? I hope it was GPO5 and there are a few more baroque instruments included this time.

I suspect he cannot use his own name to start anything new, I would hazard a guess that was part of what MM purchased. It reminds me a bit of Dave Smith and Sequential Circuits being bought by Yamaha. Incidentally, he now owns the brand name Sequential again.

I hope Gary hasn't given up on the idea of bringing quality, small footprint libraries to the market, and also that he'll continue with the ARIA player.

Wouldn't it be great to see a resurgence of Gary's presence here again (even though it was before my time)?

Only time will tell I suspect.
    Regards,
    John.

Question Re: Gary has left MakeMusic???

Of course, MakeMusic bought out the Garritan libraries and brand name, so they still own them all I suspect.
    There was probably an agreement that he stay on for a period of time to manage the integration...
    That's the way acquisitions work, usually. I'm curious as you are to know what's coming next.

Make Music shows to be in serious trouble, with poor software development and poor customer service, (and fast turnover of young managers) in the last couple of years: now the new owners are professional managers, but are they understanding Music industry?

Was Garritan tired and looking for some rest, capitalizing a bit on past success or will he be back at work with new projects? For sure the past is gone and an age is closed. No reason to keep it alive or try to repeat what was working 10 years ago, and has no longer the same value today: but what can be repeated is the challenge to rules and habits, the quest for something new.

Good luck, old friends.
    Fabio

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
    That's the way acquisitions work, usually. I'm curious as you are to know what's coming next.

Make Music shows to be in serious trouble, with poor software development and poor customer service, (and fast turnover of young managers) in the last couple of years: now the new owners are professional managers, but are they understanding Music industry?

Was Garritan tired and looking for some rest, capitalizing a bit on past success or will he be back at work with new projects? For sure the past is gone and an age is closed. No reason to keep it alive or try to repeat what was working 10 years ago, and has no longer the same value today: but what can be repeated is the challenge to rules and habits, the quest for something new.

Good luck, old friends.
    Fabio
    Makemusic also recently moved to another HQ. One wonders whether Gary wasn't happy with that.
    There seems to be more corporate publicity around the Finale name too, never that much around the 'sounds'.
    Maybe the funding just isn't there for another library from Gary if the company is struggling.

On the 'official' forum, a little while back, Gary requested input for what people would like to see in a GPO5, with a reasonable amount of feedback from users.
    And there was this article towards the end of last year Garry Garritan Interview - The Man Who Can - MusicTech | MusicTech so it would seem he is still interested in sample libraries. Only 6 months ago.

A GPO5 with more 'expressive' strings a la JABB3 instruments would be welcome, and I would have thought that there's space in the market sector in which he has traditionally been successful, IMHO.

Hmm!

John.

When did that happen?

Regards,
    John.
    Hello John,

Thank you for your support with our new project. It's much appreciated. I hope folk will call in on the new list just to give support even if they don't nominate a song.

Regarding Gary, my guess is that he parted with MakeMusic when they did their major reorganisation and relocation to Boulder in January (I think). I don't know if anything was put out about it or if there is any hushing-up of things.

Gary did give me permission to mention it as I couldn't start the new list with the changes needed without letting folk know of Gary's departure from MM. I can also say categorically that we have Gary's full support with the new project and that he is pleased we are trying to keep it going.

Thanks again John for your support.

Michael
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by serenitymusician View Post

Gary A.
    Hello Gary,

Yes, MakeMusic still own the exisiting Garritan libraries. I don't know if Gary will go on to form a new company. My hope is that he will.

Wouldn't it be great if Gary did call in!

Michael
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Fabio View Post

Good luck, old friends.
    Fabio
    Hello Fabio,

Well, as a long-term user of Finale it did seem for a while with the 2012 releases that MakeMusic was in some kind of trouble with some terrible, inexplicable software decisions.

However, there does seem now to be attempts at turning around things. The last couple of update releases have definitely restored some of the appalling decisions and they do appear committed.

There are quite a few of us hoping so. We can only wait and see.

Michael
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk View Post
    Hello John,

Thank you for your support with our new project. It's much appreciated. I hope folk will call in on the new list just to give support even if they don't nominate a song.

Regarding Gary, my guess is that he parted with MakeMusic when they did their major reorganisation and relocation to Boulder in January (I think). I don't know if anything was put out about it or if there is any hushing-up of things.

Gary did give me permission to mention it as I couldn't start the new list with the changes needed without letting folk know of Gary's departure from MM. I can also say categorically that we have Gary's full support with the new project and that he is pleased we are trying to keep it going.

Thanks again John for your support.

Michael
    Thanks for the info., Michael.

I've been searching the inter-web for any news items and can find 'nary a word'.

What you say makes some sort of sense. I can't imagine everybody wanting to relocate.
    So pleased to hear you have his support.
    Wouldn't it be great if he dropped in occasionally?
    I suspect he's busy sorting out what he's gonna do next, or maybe recruiting the people he needs and setting up.
    I really hope he continues with a GPO5 or some such.

I found this article from last September Garry Garritan Interview - The Man Who Can - MusicTech | MusicTech and wondered what the secret project was.

Regards,
    John.

Go Back to forum