• Register
  • Help

Topic: Contredanse (J.Ph. Rameau - Les Indes Galantes)

Share/Bookmark

Contredanse (J.Ph. Rameau - Les Indes Galantes)

Dear friends,

Here's another little exercise, provided by the genius of Jean-Philippe Rameau. The strings in this Contredanse are all VSL Dimension Strings. They do a nice job here, being very direct and close mic recorded. The rest was done by the wonderful orchestration of the master. His approach of the baroque orchestra was at the very least 'unconventional', but always original.

Enjoy the listen!

Contredanse

Max

Re: Contredanse (J.Ph. Rameau - Les Indes Galantes)

Slowly it looks like we are members of mutual admiration society. It is Sunday morning in Mexico, I am ready to leave soon for a concert in Merida, including Dvorak's cello concerto(!), and listened to your creation with delight. So fresh, so vibrant and so much beauty.
    I wish to hear more of your strings, they are overwhelmed with the woods. But, I agree, the woods are so delightfully played and orchestrated, that one would like to hear them loud....
    Just loved it, thanks...

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Slowly it looks like we are members of mutual admiration society. It is Sunday morning in Mexico, I am ready to leave soon for a concert in Merida, including Dvorak's cello concerto(!), and listened to your creation with delight. So fresh, so vibrant and so much beauty.
    I wish to hear more of your strings, they are overwhelmed with the woods. But, I agree, the woods are so delightfully played and orchestrated, that one would like to hear them loud....
    Just loved it, thanks...

Ted
    Hi Ted,

You're quite right about the strings, but our friend Rameau has this strange thing about his orchestrations. Even in this baroque era, the strings are not (very often) the main section. He likes playing with all kinds of colouring wind sounds. Piccolos, flutes, oboes, bassoons and all kinds of percussion play a very distinct role. That is why I chose not to let the violins dominate. It was deliberately.
    I hope you enjoyed the cello concert!

Max

This is a nice rendition of the piece. The vsl sounds good. Thanks for posting this. Jay

Go Back to forum