• Register
  • Help

Topic: Irish spring

Share/Bookmark

Irish spring

Spring is earlier in the Green Isle, the deep freeze in the North East , prompted this short piece (while quite warm in Mexico), for strings,flute and harp, all GPO4.

Ted
    https://app.box.com/s/sizu7a9a9zcgdg7hykbte9fjm8w91g63

Re: Irish spring

[QUOTE=tedvanya;782242]Spring is earlier in the Green Isle, the deep freeze in the North East , prompted this short piece (while quite warm in Mexico), for strings,flute and harp, all GPO4.

Ted
    https://app.box.com/s/sizu7a9a9zcgdg7hykbte9fjm8w91g63[/QUOTSome

Sometimes music excites, relaxes, motivates, and even frightens. But best of all it can cause the brain to dream and to reflect. Irish Spring is a splendid example of reflection and dreams. Very well conceived and executed.

Tom

Thanks Tom, very kind of you.
    A trio, violin, flute and piano, will perform this soon, which makes me quite happy.
    I often dream of Ireland where I spent almost a year on the generosity of the Irish Red Cross after my escape from Hungary.
    Thanks again

Ted

That must have been a major life changing experience. Having been adopted at the age of 3 months, it was a mere 2 years ago that I learned my natal ancestry. It seems I was born Melvin Leonard McClure. That may help explain my attraction to Scottish and Irish music. I would love to visit both countries - especially, for reasons I cannot fathom, the northern sea coast.

Ted! This is a very effective tune. It sounds so much like spring. Well done. Jay

Hi Ted,

Nice piece! Very meditative and relaxing.

A few suggestions I have should you chose to bother with them:

1. Would be really nice to hear some bass notes come in. Perhaps a few pizzicato double bass notes and celli?

2. An oboe coming in later on and playing a counter melody/harmony with the flute would really elevate the piece to a new level. I think I do hear some celli, but they're completely overwhelmed by the other instruments!

3. A french horn playing 4 quarter notes on the measure (sort of a bum, bum, bum, bum) at certain moments would be delightful.
    Warning: clicking on these links may result in spontaneous combustion.

Twitter

Soundcloud

Dear Ted,

You surprised me again with this delightful tune. Escaping from the Mexican heat and landing in the - for you so emotional - Ireland in a Spring atmosphere. This is actually enough inspiration for a whole oratorium. You bundled all these feelings/emotions in that small gem. And of course orchestration can be object of taste, technique, preferences. But you chose the (Irish) flute as main instrument and you're right about that. Maybe you had the tin whistle in mind or the gliding Irish traverso... In fact, your Hungarian melancholic soul sings again in this piece.

Kindly,

Max

Go Back to forum