• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What are You Using as Your Main Solo Violin?

Share/Bookmark

What are You Using as Your Main Solo Violin?

If there is one instrument that I have been trying to find the most it has to be the solo violin. I have been through so many different libraries it's enough to drive one "BONKAS!" Right now I have found my comfort zone with Kirk Hunter's Romantic Violin, for the time being.

Here is my list of Solo Violins:
    - EWQLSO Silver Edition Solo Violin
    - GPO Solo Violins
    - Vienna SE Solo Violin (1,2,3)
    - Aria Solo Violin
    - Friedlander Solo Violin
    - Spitfire Solo Violin
    - Kirk Hunter Solo Violins (Romantic, 1st Violin, 2nd Violin)

It's been a long road for violins for me, lol! So, what do you guys use as your primary solo violin?

Regards,

Richard

Re: What are You Using as Your Main Solo Violin?

I mostly use the EWQL Gold Sample Library violin. As a matter of fact, all of the strings in this particular sample library, whether sections or single solo instruments, are very good IMO.

Regards,

Larry Alexander

I just recently bought EastWest's Solo Violin as it's at half price of $49.50, which is a steal! I've only started working with it, but it has a nice sound. I do own Garritan's Stradivari which I also use frequently. I just dislike using Kontakt, but I only have myself to blame as I just never spent a lot of time delving into the intricacies of the player and I have avoided buying the full version because of the cost.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Thanks Larry and Garry for the replies.

@Larry:
    I have the EWQLSO Silver Edition Violin, it does have a nice texture. I personally like the expressive patch.

@Gary:
    I personally hate kontakt... It's always crashing or freezing on me. I got it because I needed to use it for some of my main libraries, but if I could I would make everything work with the Vienna Player which I have yet to experience any problem. Even ARIA player much more stable than Kontakt. I haven't had any problems with ARIA besides the hassle of importing custom libraries. I want to get more EWQLSO stuff, but I don't want to get a new dongle... I got the eLicenser for Vienna which isn't compatible with EW, I regret no getting iLok which would ave been compatible with both.

Regards,

Richard

Well, haven't done a whole lot of violin stuff, but the one I've used the most is the EWQL Gypsy violin.

Have the EWQL Solo Violin and ARIA Violin as well (and the violins that come with GPO of course, and EWQLSO's), but have been eying the Friedlander violin though...

Edit: What are your throughts on the Friedlander violin?
    -- Matt Wong

Hey Matt,

The Friedlander Violin isn't bad at all, but the problem I have is that notes stick after I stop play back which becomes a real big hassle for me. I compose by ear with a few tricks I have learned over the years because I don't know how to read music, so I am constantly playing and stopping. Every time I stop and if the whole note isn't finished playing it will stick for the Friedlander Violin and then I will have to click the sticking note on the piano in PRV to make it stop. So, I just gave up and searched for violin that would work. This may be a Sonar 8.5 issue though, for I am using Sonar 8.5. It's shame because the Friedlander Violin is the most flexible violin that I own or have seen in regards to vibrato, portamento, etc. It's a shame that those notes stick or else I would use it.

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    Well, haven't done a whole lot of violin stuff, but the one I've used the most is the EWQL Gypsy violin.

Have the EWQL Solo Violin and ARIA Violin as well (and the violins that come with GPO of course, and EWQLSO's), but have been eying the Friedlander violin though...

Edit: What are your throughts on the Friedlander violin?

I have started playing with Audiobro's LASS. I have recently switched to Sonar Platinum, the just-released version and so far it feels a little flaky. But partly due to my ineptitude I think.

I like the LASS library. Kontakt might be the cause of at least some of the flakiness too.

I'm considering to buy the new Spitfire Artisan solo violin (and cello). I'm in overall very satisfied with spitfire strings in Albion.

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post
    If there is one instrument that I have been trying to find the most it has to be the solo violin. I have been through so many different libraries it's enough to drive one "BONKAS!" Right now I have found my comfort zone with Kirk Hunter's Romantic Violin, for the time being.

Here is my list of Solo Violins:
    - EWQLSO Silver Edition Solo Violin
    - GPO Solo Violins
    - Vienna SE Solo Violin (1,2,3)
    - Aria Solo Violin
    - Friedlander Solo Violin
    - Spitfire Solo Violin
    - Kirk Hunter Solo Violins (Romantic, 1st Violin, 2nd Violin)

It's been a long road for violins for me, lol! So, what do you guys use as your primary solo violin?

Regards,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by sururick View Post

I personally hate kontakt... It's always crashing or freezing on me.
    Richard

That shouldn't be happening. You need to report your issue to NI for help or gets some tips on the boards such as Gearslutz and VI.

@artmuz:
    I just saw that the other day, and I was thinking of buying it too, but decided to hold off and get the Vienna Single Instruments Alto Flute instead. I figured what's the point of adding yet another violin when I don't have a high quality alto flute. I have the basic woodwinds that came with the Vienna Special Edition Woodwinds 1 (Flute, Piccolo, Etc). I'm glad, I got the alto flute through, it's a beauty. However, I am still interested in this new Artison Violin. If you decide to get it, please let me know how it compares with the other libraries. It seems decent, but you never know until you get your own experience using it.

@AlanPerkins:
    Hey Alan, I just gotta quick question in regards to the new Sonar. Is the midi editing similar to Sonar 8.5 or is it still the same as the rest of the X series. I upgrades to Sonar X3 and I am struggling to like the midi editing, so I still so most of my work in Sonar 8.5.

@fastlane:
    Probably a good idea. I have just been putting up with it since I got it. The worst is the sticking notes for some of my other libraries. It always happens with the Friedlander Violin library.

Regards,

Richard

Go Back to forum