• Register
  • Help

Topic: Problem creating multi-timbral in Logic Pro X

Share/Bookmark

Problem creating multi-timbral in Logic Pro X

There's a tutorial on creating a multi-timbral in Logic using ARIA at the Garritan website, but it really seems to be wrong.
    I can create a multi-timbral in Logic Pro X using the ARIA player, but what happens is all the channels are connected to each other. So, if I press S (the solo button) on one track all the solo buttons on all the tracks light up. This shouldn't be. Only one track should be solo at a time if that's that's the only one I choose. Also, when I play my keyboard for anyone of the tracks the level meter only lights up on the first track and all the instruments sound the same.
    I've created an ARIA set up for each individual instrument and this works, but supposedly this way uses up a lot of CPU.
    I hoped I've explained myself clearly.
    Has anyone ever done this and can they help?
    Thanks.

Re: Problem creating multi-timbral in Logic Pro X

I can sympathize since I just spent the better part of a week working out the ARIA Multi on my computer and Sonar X3.

My only suggestion (since I don't use your DAW setup) is to make sure the ARIA Multi is set to use all 32 channels. You have to do this manually. In ARIA Player for each of the 16 assignable tracks are some thins listed in the bottom of each triangle. (Tune 0 Def 32 1/2 01). If you click on 1/2 you get a list of outputs to select from 1/2 to 31/32. Assign each track to a different set of outputs and (theoretically) you should be good to go.

If you have already done that and it is not working than I suggest putting this question to Logic Pro's forum because the problem would be something someone there may have a solution for you.

Regards,
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

sus4,

You are experiencing the Apple Logic Pro X conundrum. Apple had also planned on sandboxing Logic Pro X but backed off when some large developers threatened to abandoned the AU plugin standard. At least that’s the story going around.

Heres an article by Jay Asher from EastWest, I believe, about Apple’s war against multi timbral hosts.

http://www.askaudiomag.com/articles/...in-logic-pro-x

Here’s a couple of videos by a poster on Gearslutz that says they have a work-a-round at least for some of it.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/eHh92y4eWJY?rel=0

https://www.youtube.com/embed/-RKDJG-P94w?rel=0

Some people use VE Pro 5 with Logic Pro X but I don’t think that gets around the problem of independent control of the mute and solo buttons for each instrument per instance. It might make it more CPU efficient.

Maybe the easiest compromise would be to use four instruments per Aria instance and do the mute and solo controlling in Aria. This will also spread the CPU load to all the cores and not just load one up if you had all sixteen Aria midi channels filled.

Set up your ARIA so that each instrument on the ARIA goes to a different channel on the mixer.

Then you can control solo and mute for individual instruments using the buttons on the mixer — the buttons on the Tracks still don't work properly though.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

I've been using single instances of Aria (and Kontakt) almost exclusively when using Logic Pro X. I know how to create and use the multitimbral function. But my experience is that I don't need to. I have a 55+ instrument orchestral templet using 55+ single instances of both Aria and Kontakt and CPU usage seems evenly distributed across all cores/threads of my aging (yet still dependable) Early 2009 (2.26 GHz 8-Core) Mac Pro. I am happy to say that my current computer set-up, including the use of Garritan's Aria player, is quite stable. All software, including Apple's operating system, are up to date with the latest versions. With this said, it seems that experiencing a stable and well distributed CPU usage, using many single instances of Aria (and other sample players), varies from user to user, all dependant on computer, software and audio device configuration. I've read on other music forums that some users experience stable and well-distributed CPU usage when using multi-timbral instances of Aria (and other sample players). It seems that experimentation is needed to see which way works best, single instances verses multi-timbral instances, when using many virtual instruments as what is found in an orchestral templet. Me?? I'll be sticking to the "many single instances" of the Aria and Kontakt players for as long as my aging Early 2009 computer lasts.

An aside - I also own VEPro 5. I don't need it for Logic Pro X. Logic Pro X handles things well without it. However, I do need VEPro 5 when I use the DP 8 DAW (which I love, by the way). I can not configure DP 8 to handle the SAME 55+ orchestral templet all within that program without CPU spikes and crashes. When I offload the SAME 55+ orchestral templet onto VEPro 5, and let IT handle CPU usage, DP 8 shines brightly!
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Ted

I've been trying out Logic Pro X and have come to the same conclusion about just using one instrument per instance of a multitimbral host such as Aria. The only limitation I see with this approach is if you are using a library like LASS that allows you to set up key switches in Kontakt that can switch between it's different instruments not just the articulations of a single instrument, cutting down on the number of instrument tracks and speeding up work flow for composers on tight schedules.

My real issue with Logic Pro X and all other DAWs is the limitations of the piano roll. I've been using Metro 7 which allows you to display up to 16 MIDI/Piano Roll tracks in it's Graphic Editor window. You can copy and past between the tracks and fully edit each one. I know in Logic Pro X you can select multiple tracks and they will be displayed in the Piano Roll window but they will be one on top of another if the instruments are playing the same notes. Isn't it like if you were composing with notation and only being able to see and work with one or two staves at a time?

My issue with Metro 7 is it doesn't handle very large MIDI track counts. I do have my hosts within VE Pro 5 which helps and Metro 7 does have the old Freeze MIDI Tracks feature for saving resources which is a little outdated but I probably need to be using it.

Also about your 2009 Mac Pro. I recently purchased an upgraded 2009 Mac Pro from a seller on ebay for $2400 including S/H. I'm not certain what the original configuration was but it came with dual 3.46 six core processors, 16GB of 1333 GHz memory and a 2 TB HD. You already have dual processors so you just need to flash the firmware from a 4.1 to 5.1/2010-2012. You can then replace the 2.26 four core CPUs with up to 3.46 six core CPUs available on eBay and other places and use 1333 GHz memory. A computer tech should easily be able do this for you as many users have done it themselves. I believe the 3.46 processors can be had for about $250 each. De-lidding them before installation might be a good idea from what I've read. Replacing a HDD boot drive and sample drive with SSD is good also if you haven't already done this. You'll end up with a Mac that scores up to over 30,000 on the Geekbench 64-bit multi-core benchmarks. A $6500 2013 base model 12-core Mac Pro scores 32,091.

Check out this YouTube Video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU8p86qHnek

Metro Graphic Editor

Hi Phil -

I know about the CPU upgrade for my happy and aging Early 2009 Mac Pro. Ain't it a beautiful thing? I've read on the MOTUNATION forum how several other members did the upgrade.

It's tempting. . . really tempting! LOL! My MacPro already has 100% SSDs residing in it. The computer also has 32 GBs RAM. Doing these things have helped speed things up tremendously, especially for my modest video editing (using either Final Cut Pro X or Adobe's Premiere). But to have those 3.46 GHz CPUs (TWO OF THEM)???? That would be heavenly!

At present, I'm too chicken to attempt it myself (although others have after watching the YouTube videos). I need to see if there is someone locally with a proven record of safely doing the upgrade. I just haven't made the time to do this, yet.

In the meanwhile, my happy and aging Early 2009 Mac Pro is humming along just fine. Hope to keep it for the next couple of years. . . longer if I upgrade the CPUs.

Regarding Kontakt. . . I've been using Kontakt for years (obviously), and I did not know that one can create keyswitching within it! LOL! I keep my use of Kontakt, and Aria for that matter, as simple as possible and do any special anything within the DAW itself. For Logic Pro X, I just load up one instrument per single instance and cope with the many instruments found within the DAW. LOL! My orchestral templet involves only 55+ instruments. As you probably know, others have 200+ instruments and/or different articulations of each instruments as part of their orchestral templet.

Regarding coping and pasting. . . I do those functions on the main window (forgot what the window is called). I edit one instrument at a time using the piano roll window, usually to adjust controller information and note placement.
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Regarding Kontakt. . . I've been using Kontakt for years (obviously), and I did not know that one can create keyswitching within it! LOL!
    It's a function that only the LASS ARC (Audiobro Remote Control) has and it takes a bit of doing to set it up.

Regarding coping and pasting. . . I do those functions on the main window (forgot what the window is called). I edit one instrument at a time using the piano roll window, usually to adjust controller information and note placement.
    Yes, I see that you need to do the copying and pasting(option drag) of groups of notes via track regions that are probably sliced up with the scissor tool and then do the editing of one or more notes of a track in the Piano Roll. I'm use to doing both tasks simutaniously in Metro's graphic editor although it does lack the tracks regions overview which can makes things a little confusing when working with larger track numbers.

Metro 7 (Mac) is still 32-bit and still supports pre OSX PPC Macs so it's limited usable track number, 8 aux busses and such, while it's pretty slick for smaller projects, it can be creatively confining for a user that starts with something smaller and wants to expand on it instrumentally.

I started a project in Metro and have moved the 20 + midi tracks over to Logic Pro X. No pain no gain.

Check out this composer's orchestral template! lol

Go Back to forum