• Register
  • Help

Topic: Overture SE Slurs & Playback for GPO

Share/Bookmark

Overture SE Slurs & Playback for GPO

I wrote GenieSoft support that I thought slurs where not being implemented correctly for GPO playback.

I just received word from GenieSoft Support that the Overture SE Update was changed to correct the implementation of slurs for GPO playback.

I downloaded and installed this new update, and I am delighted to tell you that Slurs now sound great in GPO. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Technically, this is what I see in the MIDI file:

A CC#64=127 is inserted immediately following the first note of the slur.
    A CC#64=0 is inserted immediately following the last note of the slur.

GenieSoft requested that I inform everyone here if I found that it worked, and I can honestly say that it couldn\'t be better. What a time saver this feature is.

I note that although this is a change to Overture SE 3.6.0 update, the update file name has \"360\" and the about box still shows version \"3.6.0\"

I got the update by going to the GenieSoft site and clicking the link to the Overture SE update page.

Re: Overture SE Slurs & Playback for GPO

Adam,
    The news are great, but ... it does not seem to work with me. I successfully downloaded the updates including Overture SE 3.6.0 from GenieSoft.
    When including slurs in the score, I do not see any change in the graphic interface for cc64. The audition is going in the same way. However when playing on the keyboard I am able to hear clearly the effect of legato so that I think Overture is not playing the requested legato. Am I missing something? Do I have to change my self the length of each note entered in Overture (directly on the score with the mouse)? For now, the system puts automatically the length of all notes to 90% of its theoretical length. In any case, nothing shows on the graphic interface.
    I am using a Mac G4, 1.42 GHz, OSX 10.2.
    Any help is welcomed.

[ QUOTE ]
    Adam,
    ...When including slurs in the score, I do not see any change in the graphic interface for cc64. The audition is going in the same way. However when playing on the keyboard I am able to hear clearly the effect of legato so that I think Overture is not playing the requested legato. Am I missing something? Do I have to change my self the length of each note entered in Overture (directly on the score with the mouse)? ...

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color=\"brown\"> I\'m working with Cubasis SE 3.6.0, Windows version, updated from GenieSoft site. </font>

You need to Enable Playback on every slur that you want to generate the CC64 messages on.

Click on a slur to select it.
    Click Edit.
    Click Enable Playback.

(I know you\'ve got a MAC, but the shortcut key combination in Windows is \"Alt,E,N\".)

Unfortunately I don\'t believe there is any way (at least in this SE vesion) to find out if any slur is \"enabled\" or \"disabled\" just by looking at it. I have been successful in just being methodical, like doing all of one track then doing the next, and so forth.

The CC64 values don\'t show up in my graphic interface either even with the slur enabled. I verify that the values have been inserted by looking at the MIDI file in a MIDI editor or bringing the MIDI file into Cubasis and having a look for Sustain Pedal controller values.

Of course, the ideal way to verify it is if you can hear the results by playing a track with GPO Studio up and running. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I have to lengthen the notes, too. I do this by selecting everything then setting the \"Legato\" duration of the Notes to 100%. After that I shorten individual notes to whatever I want. I actually shorten all notes except those subsumed under slurs and tenuto articulations. I of course give staccato notes shorter durations depending upon tempo and style.

Adam,
    Many thanks for the explanation. It works! Personnally, I prefer to highlight (select) the specific notes I want to put under the slur and give them a 100% duration value (legato) in place of selecting everything. Most of my music is not legato so it is easier for me. Anyway, the sequence \"legato duration 100slur-enabling\" gives the right result and gives realism and freshness to the work. Who would think that a notation program and a basic library would bring so much realism! I hope that GenieSoft will be able to improve the program and show the cc64 modification in the graphic interface.
    Thanks again.

[ QUOTE ]
    ... Who would think that a notation program and a basic library would bring so much realism! I hope that GenieSoft will be able to improve the program and show the cc64 modification in the graphic interface.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts, too! I believe they\'ve got something excellent with their sequencer-like Graphic Window. Given that GPO Studio saves to WAV files now, I may not need Cubasis ever again for my needs.

PatS

[ QUOTE ]
    I hope that GenieSoft will be able to improve the program and show the cc64 modification in the graphic interface.
    Thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I received an e-mail message from Don about this last week. He said he\'ll do what he can in the next major release (Overture 4) to link the MIDI data in the score window to the graphic window. At the very least, the request is on his \"wish list,\" too.

Pat

Go Back to forum