• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: grand symphonic marimba GSMG4 buzz

Share/Bookmark

grand symphonic marimba GSMG4 buzz

Hi,

does anyone else\'s \"G4\" sample in the Grand Symphonic Marimba buzz?

It doesn\'t matter in ensembles really but
    it does pop out in any exposed use, as I
    have just discovered.

Lee

Re: grand symphonic marimba GSMG4 buzz

Originally posted by LeeR:
    does anyone else\'s \"G4\" sample in the Grand Symphonic Marimba buzz?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Lee,

I can tell you that the Marimba G4 that I hear blends well with the surrounding Marimba notes. I don\'t get a buzz from G4.

The only thing I would suggest is to check the G4 of various other instruments. Perhaps there\'s something loose in a speaker that is vibrating sympathetically at G4. I can\'t think of anything else that would make a buzz.

there is definitly a buzz in that patch from f#3 to g#3 multisample

Yeah, I hear it too.

I have also made an MP3 that illustrates this problem.

Here is a chromatic scale from Middle C to the C above. Followed by Middle F#-G#.

http://www.classicalhorn.com/marbuzz.mp3

Yup! Played it through several monitors. I'll bet it was the center resonators sympathetic to those frequencies and gone undetected during recording. Hard to believe that the engineer would miss that though. I can hear it as well and it reminds me of just about every marimba I've played in the past. The dreaded resonator tubes vibrating sympathetic to certain ranges. Of course, there are so many parts to a marimba that an engineer would have to take it apart section by section in an attempt to reveal the problem area.
    I'll go with it is indeed in the sample and the resonators are the problem.

You know, to come to think of it, if the suspension string is too tight it will act as a spring and cause the bar to jump and buzz. The string on any marimba should be at a tension that the bar seats into the string and closest to the opening of the resonator tube. Also, getting back to the resonators. The tubes can be tuned with a plug usually pressure fitted into the tube at the bottom and painted to seal so no air passes through and also to thwart any potential buzz. In some of the older models the plug was riveted in place and through time may have come lose causing the buzz. This is a whole other ball game getting into the tuning of the resonators and should be taken care of by a qualified repairperson. Or, your local chop shop. Whatever you do don't tune your own tubes.

Anywho, just thought this may be inneresting to ya allski!

Styxx,

This is quite interesting! You're quite an expert in bars.

Gary Garritan

Hick!
    Styxx

www.outback.chi.il.us/~bonnysu/ Click on "Crafty Music Teachers" Page, click on "Make Your Own Marimba". Scroll down to "sound clips" then "Marimba with and without buzzers". Oh Gezzz what a numb nut I am. Just click on "Sound Clips" on the colorful tool bar then "Marimba with and without buzzers".
    What a marooone I am!
    Styxx

The buzz from the soundclip sounds totaly different from the one from gpo. More realistic i think and not so disturbing. Sounds like an elemental part of the instrument, not just an recording error

Go Back to forum