• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: A thought to share with all of you.

Share/Bookmark

A thought to share with all of you.

I know I\'ve been posting a lot of questions and maybe some of them are nonsense but I have to tell you.
    I regard all and I mean ALL of you in the highest respect. Hence, I wanted to share a thought with you.
    I always tell the cast of my youth theatre this;
    “Acting is living the part through your imagination”.
    If this is so, then my deepest opinion is as follows:
    “Composing is realizing your music through Garritan Personal Orchestra”.
    I don\'t know about you but Gary has made my dreams into a reality. The closest to a real orchestra I may ever experience in performing my music.
    Just thought I would share this with you.

(Hey Mugsie! I think the guy was normalized!)

Re: A thought to share with all of you.

This is the same way I feel. A whole new world of music making has opened up before me. It has completely taken over every moment of my free time. Thank you Gary Garritan!

Diddo to everything said above and more!

I started a rock opera acouple of years ago with nothing but a Casio and a SB Live! card...

Going from that to this just about sent me into hysterical shock!, luckily I had enough Pepsi and Combos on my workstation to calm me down and allow me to continue composing.

The day the rock opera is finished, and the credits read; Garritan P. Orchesta conducted by Maestro Alan Lastufka will be the happiest day of my life...

Hey Alan,
    Can I début it with my Theatre group? But you must be present for the auditions. Usually Simon is there but lately we are thinking of canning him.
    One question...
    How many Rocks are you going to need? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    No, actually, I would love to hear it!

Originally posted by Styxx:
    Hey Alan,
    Can I début it with my Theatre group? But you must be present for the auditions. Usually Simon is there but lately we are thinking of canning him.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Kidding, right? First off, I don\'t want Simon jumping me when I walk through the door... secondly I\'ve already signed with the BLUE MAN GROUP giving them exclusive rights to the opera through 2010...

[img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

How\'s \"Final Moment\" coming along?

I\'d like to add my 2 cents to this thread. I started writing using computers in 1987 with a DX 7 and an Ensonique \"Mirage\" using a midi interface to a Macintosh 500kb (second genertion all in one b&w 7 inch screen.) The program was either Deluxe Music Construction Set or Professional Composer (MOTU) These are quite ancient by now and are probably somewhat collectible. The major work I produced was a ballet named \"City Robots\" a dissonant, brash work using the two synths above, and a work entitled \"Petite Suite\"for saxophone quartet which was premiered by the Amherst Saxophone Quartet in Buffalo N.Y. At the time it was quite revolutionary to be able to produce a large scale sound with these instruments and in addition to be able to produce a score and parts. Ofcourse it was the time of the dot matrix printer so the printed output looked like golf balls in the shape of notation. The sounds on the DX 7 were very unrealistic and the samples from the Mirage were grainy, but more realistic. I thought to myself that some day with more powerful computers and more advanced software that we would be able to accurately reproduce the sound of a live orchestra using digital technology. That time is here and my wish for such technology was 17 years ago.

Ira Kraemer

One of my goals when I first started electronic music was to be able to recreate an orchestra on my own. Well, it is finally reality.

I had a similar experience to Ira’s. In the mid ‘90s I wrote some pieces over a period of a few years for a local art gallery. They HATED any string sound I came up with on my K-5. No matter how hard I tried to hide a pstring part in the back ground they always heard it and made me take it out. They hated the sample-based sounds when I bought an Ultra-Proteus even more than the synth ones. So I was never allowed to write string parts. Even though I am no longer writing for them I am now going string crazy. I expect to settle down and start using other sounds again soon, but it’s nice to have a very realistic, musical string sound.

I have orchestrated several musicals in the past with some degree of sucsess. My gear consisted of a Mac, and a keyboard back in 88. Unhappy with the blurps and beeps of the garbage they called instruments. I bought my first sound module and external sequencer. Roland SC155 and an MC50MKII. And a keyboard ofcourse. After a few years I upgraded to a PC, cakewalk 7.2 and was still unhappy with the soundcards. Bought a new Roland SC88 and MC80 and started to orchestrate the best I could and was comfortable for a while. But there was always the string and brass sounds that fell so short of realism that never let me rest. I craved for the sounds of real instruments but it worked nevertheless. Some of the musicals were (and they are all on CD) \"Annie\", \"The Sound of Music\" which I plan to reorchestrate using GPO, \"Bye Bye Birdie\", and \"Grease\". Annie is my favorite. I beleive Shazbot I played a little for you? Not bad but not GPO! Now everything has changed. I have an orchestra to play with! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    I am like a kid in a candy store. I only wish I had more time to play.

Originally posted by Styxx:
    I beleive Shazbot I played a little for you? Not bad but not GPO!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, and I thought it was an excellent job for what it was, and a lot better than some backing tracks for musicals I\'ve seen.

Now everything has changed. I have an orchestra to play with! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    I am like a kid in a candy store. I only wish I had more time to play.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s exactly how I feel! And how I wish I had GPO last year when I produced my musical. As it was, I had some pretty decent orchestral soundfonts and so the few parts that I arranged beyond the basic combo of drums, bass and piano sounded good, but I know I would have done more if I had GPO. But then again, in retrospect, there\'s probably no way I would have had time to do anything more than what I did for that. As I know you know, it was insane trying to get everything done in time! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Gosh guys [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] What can I say.

The music that you have been sharing with us, the thoughtful and giving people here, the willingness to help and to learn, the comraderie that has formed...I am honored beyond words. We merely provide some tools and all of you suppy the rest. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum