• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pro Tools 002 troubleshoot anyone?

Share/Bookmark

Pro Tools 002 troubleshoot anyone?

I have a question for anyone who has MORE experience with Pro Tools 002 6.1 le.
    Things were working fine up until last night. None of the midi tracks will record GPO. (This is not my unit but my partners home unit). There is a procedure here I may have inadvertently screwed up. But I can\'t seem to find it. At first we have to arm an audio track with GPO then a midi track. We then arm the corresponding Kontakt player channel to the track. Track 1, Kontakt frame 1. And it recorded fine. When we went to arm a second midi track, nothing recorded. No sound from GPO only from the soundcard itself. Have any insight as to what I may be or had done wrong?

I keep adding suspenders to my strings but they continue to descend into the basses!

Re: Pro Tools 002 troubleshoot anyone?

I am sending your questions to one of our customers. Nikki, with Digi Design. Standby.

OK my friend. I can wait. But I am leaving, on a jet plane. Don\'t know when I\'ll be back again. Hold me now and never let me go ---!
    I am officially on standby.

Hi!
    Ooops- sorry, not with Digidesign, just an enthusiastic user [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

OK- first thing is to create a stereo Aux track (I suggest using a stereo Aux track; Audio tracks in LE are only wasting a *voice,* and a second Audio track would have to be created and used to render/record the final performance anyway), insert GPO (you stated you are using the \"default\" Kontakt Player with GPO). I am assuming you are using the RTAS version, correct? (I ask because I personally use the FXpansion VST-RTAS wrapper. Two benfits: all MIDI channels become available for any Kontakt/Kontakt Player instance, and considerably lower latency {about 300+ samples better}).
    Be sure to have an Input for the Aux track assigned; no Input assigned=no sound from inserted intruments. Use an Input with no source (ie, empty Buss, 002 connection with nothing connected to it, etc)

Assuming RTAS ver, with Win XP, 002, and LE 6.1 (why not upgrade to 6.1.1 if on Win XP?)

In the stereo Aux track, choose GPO from insert menu. Load up an instrument.
    With the NI RTAS stuff, they only have MIDI channel 1 available. No idea why they screwed the pooch on this one...
    Anyway. be sure that any instrument(s) you have now loaded into GPO (Kontakt Player) is(are) assigned to MIDI channel 1. Anything assigned to channels 2-16 will NOT be addressed (play, respond, etc).
    Once you load an instrument, play the keyboard in the GUI with your mouse to be sure you have output on the track you inserted upon.
    If yes, move to next paragraph.
    If no- check fader, track output assignment, raise mod wheel temporarily in GUI (some GPO instruments use this for \"volume\", some dont), etc.

Create a MIDI track.
    Set input to \"All\" or to the specific MIDI port/channel(s) you have the controller hooked to. This step is not necessary to hear anything initially. (I will use \"All\" most of the time, especially when troubleshooting)
    Set output for the MIDI track to \"Garritan Personal Orchestra - 1(no channels activated).\"
    note: the \"no channels activated\" means nothing- ignore it.

Goto the Edit Window.
    Look for the MIDI track, hold Ctrl, and click on the little keyboard on the MIDI track with your mouse.
    If no sound, check the audio or aux track GPO was inserted upon, raise mod wheel in GPO GUI, etc.
    Once you have sound doing this, any notes playing back from that MIDI track should play correctly.

Goto MIDI menu, and verify that \"MIDI Thru\" is checked.
    Rec enable MIDI track.
    Play keyboard controller.
    You should have sound now.

If not, then with MIDI track rec enabled still, hit Record (or, Ctrl+Spacebar, 3 on numpad, etc).
    Play a bit on your keyboard controller while recording.
    Stop, and check MIDI track in Edit Window to see if anything was recorded.
    If yes, and hitting play after does NOT result in GPO outputting sound, review all of the above, and if still nothing, post a step-by-step, or email me.
    If nothing was recorded, then post- there is a problem with the controller getting data into PT, which will require a different set of steps to troubleshoot.

Once all is playing fine, go ahead and record a passage into the MIDI track. When done, un-rec enable the MIDI track (don\'t want to overwrite it by accident!)

To render/record the MIDI performance to an Audio track:
    Create a stereo Audio track.
    Set it\'s input to an unsed buss (say, Buss 1&2).
    Rec enable this track.
    Goto the Aux track that has GPO inserted upon it, set output to the same buss you just assigned to the output on the new Audio track (Buss 1&2 in this example).
    Double check MIDI track to be sure it isn\'t rec enabled.
    Record!

Upon finishing, mute the MIDI track and Aux track with GPO, and hit play. You should now have a \"rendered\" version of the MIDI performance, using GPO as the \"instrument.\"
    You can now disable the GPO plugin (freeing resources) and then mute and hide the MIDI channel used (unless you want it to render the same performance with a different instrument).

Due to the RTAS MIDI channe limitation (I call it a bug [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ) with all of NI\'s current product line with Win XP, gaining access to more than MIDI Channel 1 is not possible (unless using the VST-RTAS wrapper with the VSTi version of GPO).
    Thankfully, Kontakt, Kontakt Player, and Kompakt when empty are almost invisible resource-wise. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Due to this, using multiple instances on multiple tracks vs one instance on one track with multiple instruments loaded yields negligible resource draw difference.
    Besides, with multiple instances, each intruments gets it\'s own track, which I prefer.

Whew!
    Long post, but I think I covered as much as is needed to get things going. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    If I missed something, or you are experiencing trouble at any step, please post what you did (more detail=easier to help [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ), or email me, and I will do my best to help ya get up and going.
    With email, it is easier to exchange screenshots for troubleshooting, and my email client is open most of the day. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sorry Nikki! I thought you worked for Digi Design... seen your name in the credits in Pro Tools.

Your stil digi-girl though [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

------------------

There ya go MS.

Nikki (aka digi-girl),

Thanks you for sharing your knowledge about Digi. This will be of help to many ProTools users.

Would you mind if this serves as the basis for a tutorial? If you, or someone with Protools, can provide some screenshots to go along with your instructions; I think we have an excellent tutorial.

What amazes me are the people who come here. The storys of some people\'s lives are extraordinary and an inspiration. For those who don\'t know Nikki, she is one of those extraordinary and inspiring people. I am so glad you dropped by Nikki!

Gary Garritan

Hi Nikki,
    First of all many thanks for taking the time to help us here. I am fairly new to the 002 system but have plans for taking the certification course in June. I took the liberty to copy and save your information so as to take to my partners home studio where the unit is in use. Here,in my studio,I have a Tascam FW-1884 that is totally useless. Would it be a burdon to you if I were to call upon your help if needed again with this subject? Regardless, Thank you so much!
    Team Bela D! Class A Team! Very thoughtful and helpful! You guys are great!

Gary,
    I still can\'t get over what you have done here! I am genuinely choked.
    All I want to do is make my music sing from within me and you have made it so!
    No joking here tonight.

I\'ll have to study this closer. There are admitably proceedures I fail to understand. Like the kontakt player. Are you saying the kontact that comes with GPO is not compatable? I am a little confused on this piont. Let me read your reply more closely. I am a slow but determined learner! I will master this.

Hi!
    No problem!

I went ahead and created a better tutorial for using GPO with Pro Tools, using the \"default\" Kontakt Player GUI and all.
    GPO & PT Tutorial

I also have a version for Gary to incorporate into his site if he wishes, and will edit this post to reflect that should he opt to do so.
    For now tho, the tutorial is there. Hope it helps someone [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

aka DigiGirl (lol!)

Ahhh Florida! The area I so do want to live!
    Thanks again Nikki for all the help and you can be sure I will be watching for you tutorials when Gary decides to post them.
    (What I really want to know is...where does Gator aid come from) Really, no...really!
    Very informative link and tutorial!
    Thanks again.

Nikki,
    We followed your instructions to the letter. One issue we noticed was there is no way to insert the GPO into the midi track. Yes, into the master, but no path for the midi track. If I could have had more time I would have sent you a pic of what I am trying to relay here. Best of my abilities - the series of little black arrows in the upper pane of the track? Not in the midi track. I\'m sorry if this makes no sense to you. I am trying the best I can without a pic.

Go Back to forum