• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Hey youz guyz & galz! Feedback?

Share/Bookmark

Hey youz guyz & galz! Feedback?

I crave Feedback for \"Final Moment\" on the Demo page if you will. Feeeedbaaack! FEEEEDBAAACK! If you give me feedback I will grow big and strong! Seriously though folks. Every composer needs to know. Please?
    Thanks
    BE HONEST!

(quite frankly mugsie I think the guy is one fry short of a happy meal) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Hey youz guyz & galz! Feedback?

Very Nice Styxx. It\'s about time you joined the ranks of the posted! Here a couple things I noticed. The snare roll seems really static and I wish it had a bit more dynamics to it. Unfortunatly the type of dynamics it needs arent so much your fault as it is the nature of the sample. I wonder if you couldnt fade in a few midi derived snare rolls of your own here and there so you would here it more like a drum occasionally than just that roll sound. I also wish I could here the back ground strings just a bit more. Otherwise, as my twelve year old would say,\"Sounds Tight!\",(this is supposed to be a compliment). I look forward to more. Good Luck!

Eric W

Originally posted by eaglehvac:
    The snare roll seems really static and I wish it had a bit more dynamics to it. Unfortunatly the type of dynamics it needs arent so much your fault as it is the nature of the sample. I wonder if you couldnt fade in a few midi derived snare rolls of your own here and there so you would here it more like a drum occasionally than just that roll sound. I also wish I could here the back ground strings just a bit more.
    Eric W
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Eric. I was going to play the snare in live using an audio track but decided to keep it all GPO at first.
    The piece was written the night my father passed away. For some reason all the turmoil of his life came to mind.
    I playing live on an audio track have since replaced the GPO snare drum. It was intended to be in the background like the stress of life waiting and then suddenly jumps out! Hence the crescendo into the basses. I can\'t get into the rest of the explanation of the piece right now.
    The strings, I agree with you, I have given them more presence in the mix. I also lessen the reverb on the total mix. This is my first piece with GPO and with your feedback (and hopefully more) I will learn to be a better composer and arranger. One aspect of the sample on the posting is an audio track that was lost somehow at the end. It\'s no big deal though. The strings at the end fade to an almost inaudible state purposely. I was trying to put across the \"Final Moment\" and also that mysterious aspect of life that is allways there but seems to be out of reach. But yeah, after listening to it again on the post you are absolutely right. I\'ve since made the overall mix hotter and it seemed to alleviate that annoying digital dirt during the end.
    I am excited about yours and anyone’s comments on this piece! I value everyone’s input as constructive to the learning process! Cool! Thanks so much Eric!!

Boy, I could swear I\'ve heard the first part of this somewhere recently... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Very nice! Mournful, as it should be, considering the inspiration, but beautifully so. I love the soft bassoon (or is it an oboe? I always get those confused!) that plays after the drum roll build up (which is a bit too sharp of a crescendo, IMO). I think the whole first part could have been a little louder, including the snare roll, which would have made for a smoother and less abrupt sounding crescendo. And I know you wanted that tubular bell really quiet in the beginning part, but I would have liked to hear it a little better. Some soft string chords underneath the bassoon part underscoring some of its melody might be nice, too. I\'m curious to know what that pulsing bass sound is after the drum roll build up. Is that a GPO instrument? It sounds almost like a synth bass. I like the sound a lot, but I\'m just curious what it is.

Good job, Mike!

I fired the bassoon player (or was it a buffoon)?
    Yeah, Shazbot I took your advise and up the gain on some of the instruments. The snare I completely re did playing live. Much better. Not to say GPO is bad it’s just that I have to learn to control the sounds as if I were playing them on a real instument. But believe it or not I was having a hard time getting the effect I wanted from the real snare! The build up was intended to be like fingernails on a chalkboard. Irritating to say the least. The bass drum\'s final hit represents the final pulse (get my drift). But with all this help coming in I am learning.
    Thanks Shaz!

Originally posted by Shazbot:
    I\'m curious to know what that pulsing bass sound is after the drum roll build up. Is that a GPO instrument? It sounds almost like a synth bass. I like the sound a lot, but I\'m just curious what it is.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sorry, I did see that question and you deserve an answer. It\'s the bass drum as light as you can strike the key and hold it there for its duration in sound. We percussionist in a live setting would take the softest bass drum beater and lightly strike the head so only the rumble of the head would sound with as minimal of attack as possible. Cool effect huh? I was wondering if anyone could hear that at all in this demo.
    Thanks. Now where\'s the rest of the Saga!!!
    Ah...wait a minute. Are we talking about the pizz bass eigth note pulse or the underlaying rumble in the background? I\'m sooo confused!

Styxx,

You did a splendid job with this. Extraordinary for your first time with GPO. The composition is inspired and takes the listener on a reflective journey. That final sound at the end is unexpected and lends to realism.

Here\'s a link for those who want to hear: http://www.garritan.com/mp3/FinalMoment.mp3

Well done!
    Grow big and strong little grasshopper,

Gary Garritan
    -------------------------------------------------
    Dead composers get more respect and attention than living ones - Styxx [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Gary,
    Thank you so much for posting the link to hear that guy at the end sighing. He just walked into my studio out of no where and grabbed the mic. He looked a little like Frank. You know...FRANK!
    No really, I can\'t imagine my world without GPO. Many thanks for being you and sharing your brain child with the world!
    Ward...
    Yes June?
    Don\'t you think you where a little hard on the Beaver last night?
    Why, no June. What makes you say that?

I keep adding suspenders to my strings but they continue to descend into the basses!

Amazing M. S!!

Aren\'t musical variations infinite! Hmmmmm! Really intriguing piece this. Mmmmmmmm, have to think more about this one.....

Well done,

Frank

Originally posted by Hardy Heern:
    Amazing M. S!!

Aren\'t musical variations infinite! Hmmmmm! Really intriguing piece this. Mmmmmmmm, have to think more about this one.....

Well done,

Frank
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Why thank you Frank. I just wish I had made the mix hotter. Hey, there\'s always Betty Crocker!

Go Back to forum