• Register
  • Help

Topic: GOS Legato and EXS

Share/Bookmark

GOS Legato and EXS

For anyone using GOS in EXS with the Maestro Tools environment: The sustain pedal legato works beautifully when playing live, but when Maestro Tools is active it doesn\'t allow the sustain pedal messages through to the sequencer. This means the legato functions can\'t be recorded for playback. Adding the sustain pedal to the sequence manually doesn\'t work either. In studying the incredible maze that is the Maestro Tools environment, it does appear that the cables terminate at the sequencer input, but something is happening in between. What am I missing here?

Re: GOS Legato and EXS

Stuart Warren of the EXS Users Group was kind enough to clear this up for me, improving my insight into the whole methodology behind Maestro Tools as well.

For anyone who might not yet understand it, activating Maestro Tools Legato mode and hitting the sustain pedal while playing/recording simply tells the GOS patch to play (trigger) the appropriate combination of samples to create the legato phrase. Releasing the pedal causes GOS to only play the \"master\" sample with none of the \"in-between\" samples.

So it isn\'t necessary to record the sustain pedal into the sequence since all the proper notes have been recorded, which also means Maestro Tools can be de-activated during playback. Pretty ingenious, and quite a bit different from the VSL method.

Sorry if this is painfully redundant information for all you GOS veterans!

Re: GOS Legato and EXS

seanmccoy

Glad Stuart explained this. He\'s right that isn\'t necessary to record the sustain pedal into the sequence since all the proper notes have been recorded. Kudos goes to Roam Beilharz who figured this out.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum