• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mike Jasper's Cannonball -- even odder than pop.

Share/Bookmark

Mike Jasper\'s Cannonball -- even odder than pop.

Where do I begin? Not sure. Guess I\'ll wing it.

A buddy of mine, Scott Ennis, emailed me and said, \"I just put a melody to a William Blake poem! I want you to produce it.\"

I wrote back and said, \"I just wrote words to Mozart! And it\'s not \'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star.\' Wanna trade?\"

Just kidding.

Anyway, he sends me this mp3 of his melody to Blake\'s words, and the melody is not half bad. Kind of traditionally Irish sounding. And so what if Blake\'s English, it\'s all good.

I tell Ennis, \"Sure, I\'ll take this on.\" Toward the end of the production, I get to thinking, \"This turned out pretty well, but I sure wish I had access to GPO, which I ordered five weeks ago. Damn you, Gary Garritan! Why would I ever trust anyone with an alliterative name? Why would I ever trust anyone whose initials sound phonetically like GiGi! Damn you, Gary Garritan! Damn you!\"

Yeah. That\'s what I thought. Bitter? Maybe a tad.

So I email Gary and say, \"Please, please, send me GPO. I swear... I won\'t use it for an Irish melody juxtaposed against a William Blake poem, I swear.\"

Look. I used to be a news reporter. Lying comes second nature to me. So much so, I could have been a lawyer. Instead, I became a song writer. Same gig, less money.

Long story shortened, I finally get GPO and add a cello/viola mix to the part (frankly, I forget the exact combo) and it\'s nothing like the lofty orchestrations I hear at this joint -- but it ain\'t bad, either. In fact, it\'s exactly how I intend to use GPO, i.e., one midi track printed to audio, and so on.

So here\'s the link to the song. Again. I did not write this, only arranged it. Scott Ennis wrote the melody, Blake the words (they\'re a bit dated) and I performed everything else except drums. I got my main man The Ric Furley® to do the kit.

As to my voice... I tried to imitate Bing Crosby. I failed miserably. Dude has round tones I\'ll never achieve. But at least, unlike many of you, I know who Der Bingo is. \"Wait! I know Bing. He\'s the guy who did the TV Christmas specials and ran the golf tournaments...\"

Shut up. Bing is the guy who recorded the most hit songs in American history, who hung out with Louis Armstrong (who?), who got so drunk during his gigs with Paul Whiteman he made Sinatra look like a Baptist, and who introduced the taperecorder to the U.S.

Yep, I\'ve got the background all right. My mom sang at Radio City Music Hall, my dad played clarinet in Glenn Miller\'s Army-Air Force band, my uncle was head of the music department at San Jose State (1960s to 70s) and my aunt was a concert pianist.

Want more? My little brother used to be the business manager of Creed, Seven Mary Three, Days of the New and other bands who sound vaguely like Pearl Jam. Me? I was the Rhesus monkey in the cage with the electric guitar who they fed every so often. But only when they donned the white lab coats -- and even then they lofted the pellets at a safe distance as I muttered, \"Hello, Clarice.\"

Anyway, here\'s how I use GPO.

http://www.deceptivesound.com/sunflower.mp3

Mike Jasper

Re: Mike Jasper\'s Cannonball -- even odder than pop.

excellent mix!

what settings do you use in voice and acoustic guitar tracks? what reverb, eq, compression,...?

btw, the voice made me think of Screaming Trees more than of Bing Crosby. Full and warm. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

What a refreshing post .. and the music is interesting too [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Malte

Wow, Sounds just like that one guy that sang with David Bowie on that one Christmas special!! Not my style but well done indeed! I really enjoyed the post itself. I think you would make a good journalist or comedy writer.

Eric W

Great song, great story! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

- m

That guy who sang with Bowie was Bing Crosby!
    Nice mix. Clean!
    Where is the Mozart though?

That was sarcasm Styxx. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Mke,

You are a riot! Loved your story and humor. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I listened to Sunflower many times today. Your voice is unique and I like it very much. Fabulous arrangement and good use GPO strings.
    Quite a musical family you have and your heritage shows.

When you first came here who can forget about the canonball:

Originally posted by deceptivesound:

Man, there are some eggheads here. I\'m just a dude interested in adding cello or whatnot to a pop song. I feel like the fat guy with the nose plug and the water wings who accidentally wanders into Olympic diving practice. While you guys are doing two and-a-half pikes and swan dives off the high board, I\'m sipping a beer and saying, \"Check out the size of this cannon ball!\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is not a cannonball but to me a very nice Olympic dive into the GPO pool!

Thanks for sharing this. I\'m going to go listen again to Sunflower.

Gary Garritan (GiGi)

PS: I would love to post this on the GPO site. Any chance of getting Scott Ennis\' permission?

eaglehvac writes:

\"I think you would make a good journalist or comedy writer.\"

Actually, I\'m both a journalist and a comedy writer. As well as a musician. But I\'m not famous at any of those, so I can understand your confusion. That said, the retorts to my original post are cracking me up way more than what I initially wrote.

Garritan writes:

\"I would love to post this on the GPO site. Any chance of getting Scott Ennis\' permission?\"

First, thanks for weighing in. You absence was making me nervous. As to Scott\'s permission, I\'m sure that\'s no problem. Let me call him up first. And thanks for reprinting my original post. It\'ll help clear up any confusion.

BTW, all y\'all, Gary and I have spoken on the phone. So he knows first hand that I\'m funny. And a stammerer. Think Bob Newhart. For both.

Still, he\'s magnanimous beyond belief for calling my cannonball a true dive. See how he is?

Guybrushthreepwood (say that three times fast) writes:

\"What settings do you use in voice and acoustic guitar tracks? What reverb, eq, compression?\"

Glad you asked. Everything recorded went through a Great River MP-2NV preamp and an 1176 compressor. The acoustic guitar was recorded with a Neumann U87 mono. I know. Not what most people would use, but it works for me. The vocals were recorded on a Shure SM7. Not 57, SM7. Bigger. Better. But not a 57. Again, not what most people would use, but it responds to my voice. I recorded very close, no windscreen. Excellent tone from a $300 mic. The $2,000 U87 doesn\'t work on my voice. Go figure.

The reverb I used all around was from a Lexicon PCM 91. EQ? None. All I have is software EQ, and it scares the hell out of me. So I try to choose the right mic. Hope that helps.

Also, I should add: \"Ah, Sunflower\" Copyright 2004 by Scott Ennis.

Jasper

Go Back to forum