• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius demo and expression signs

Share/Bookmark

Re: Sibelius demo and expression signs

Hi

I use an older version of Sibelius, so I don’t know if these things apply to the newer versions.

With my version (1.4), dynamics are changed by changing the velocity. The preset dynamics will automatically change the velocity when inserted. The other way is to insert a midi command. Example (C7,100), which restores the channel after the cress./dim. Plug-in has been used. Again, I can only speak for 1.4, but the problem with inserting midi messages is that it affects all the instruments on the same channel. In other words, if the Flutes and Horns are on channel 4, and you insert the C7 midi message to change the dynamics of the flute, the horns will in like manner be affected. I’m pretty sure GPO handles changes in dynamics differently, which is too bad because it makes Sibelius and GPO that much more incompatible. A standard across the board would make life so much easier for everyone, and would naturally bring the products closer to one another.

Not sure what the bracketed question was all about. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

So I can\'t controll the \"volume\" of a \"mf\" or a \"f\"?
    In finale this is possible and you can select the palyback effect.
    About the bracketed question my problem is that i can\'t find how to make them. I can\'t find a sybol or something to put them.
    thanks
    Michael

GPO-Studio easily solves the problems between Sibelius and GPO. Just try searching this forum a bit, there are about 200 topics on it.

And for the \"<>\" stuff, try looking in your Sibelius manual under \"hairpins\". It\'s the best written manual I ever read and every aspect of Sibelius is exactely described in it.

Sorry if this was not too helpful.

In Sibelius ppp->fff controls velocity. This works fine with most soundsets, but not with GPO. (GPO uses the mod-wheel, rather than velocity. There exists a MIDI converter that changes velocity to the mod-wheel, but I haven\'t tried it yet.

Sibelius has a \"hairpin plugin\" for the > and < markings. I tried it sometime ago, but didn\'t like the results. I prefer to export the MIDI from Sibelius into a sequencer and edit the dynamics there. For most soundsets that means editing cc-11 to control the intra-note expression, leaving the inter-note dynamics from the velocity maps. For GPO it means editing the mod-wheel for all of your dynamics.

There are two methods for editing the mod-wheel in the sequencer - \"paint\" it in with the mouse, or record yourself \"playing\" the mod wheel. With skill this is fast, as it\'s real time.

If your goal is to simply \"proof\" your score then this is a bit of a cheat. If your goal is to get the best performance out of notated music, then this works well. The only way to improve it is to manually play in the notes as well as the mod-wheel, but this depends on your sight-reading and performance skills.

thanks, my problem is that with the demo version there is no manual and there isn\'t the possibility to post a question in the sibelius forum if you aren\'t a sibelius customer.
    I\'ll try your suggestions.
    thanks
    Michael

Hi

I\'m pretty sure you can adjust the definition of the FF globally under \"dictonary\". Ypo can also type in midi messages and hide them in the score. But as good as it is I always find I have to import it into a sequencer at some stage.

ed

Originally posted by ed buller:
    Hi

I\'m pretty sure you can adjust the definition of the FF globally under \"dictonary\". Ypo can also type in midi messages and hide them in the score. But as good as it is I always find I have to import it into a sequencer at some stage.

ed
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, you can edit the dictionary, but it only allows certain adjustments (program change, velocity setting, I forget what else). It doesn\'t let ppp-fff control the mod-wheel.

To control the mod-wheel directly in Sibelius, select a note and type \"Ctrl-T ~C1,127\", where \"127\" would be the maximum value. That note and all that follow would have the mod-wheel at max. Use other values for other dynamic levels.

This still won\'t give continuously moving dynamics though. You will still want to go to the sequencer for that.

Well, crr, then try selecting a note and pressing \"h\" or \"shift+h\". Sibelius can\'t playback the actual crescendo but the note veliocities will be different before and after the hairpin.

For all other Sibelius problems I suggest browsing a bit through this forum, there are plenty of threads on this topic which might help you.

But if you want your music to sound really good, save your work in Sibelius as a midi-file when done and edit it in Cubasis. It sounds like lots of work and a little bit awkward, but even I got used to it after the 2nd piece. This process simply improves your music 100%.

Sibelius demo and expression signs

Hi,
    someone probably remembered the post I started about Sibelius, Finale and Overture. I\'m now trying the demo versions of Sibelius and Finale to understand how they works and their potentiality.
    Because I know that here there are a lot pf Sibelius user and because I cna\'t post a question in the Sibelius forum because I can\'t register I post my question here.
    I\'m trying to understand how the expression signs works in Sibelius but I can\'t find how I can decide the playback effect of them. For exemple how can I decide the volume of a \"f\" or a \"mp\", and so on.
    And another thing: I can\'t find how to make a \"<\" or a \">\".
    Thanks
    Michael

Go Back to forum