• Register
  • Help

Topic: cubasis channels - maybe silly question!

Share/Bookmark

cubasis channels - maybe silly question!

Hi everyone,

Am new to gpo - experienced musician but not experienced at the recording side of things, so there is maybe an obvious answer to this.

Am using the version of cubasis that came with gpo, and seem to be finding that I can only use 8 channels with gpo. The Kontakt player has 8 slots for instruments, and they seem to have to map to output channels 1-8. If I load a second, third or fourth gpo in the vst instruments panel, they still will only work on output channels 1-8.

I know there\'s gpo-studio, but I can\'t get that to work with cubasis, and the documentation would seem to say that gpo-studio only works with notation programs. I can specify gpo-studio as output in cubasis, but it\'s not one of the possible choices in the vst instruments panel, and if gpo-studio is the output and gpo selected in the vst instruments panel, I don\'t hear a thing.

Either there\'s something very obvious that I\'m missing, or that is a genuine limitation of the system. If it is, presumably it\'s possible to get round it by doing preliminary mix-downs.

Good luck to everyone with their projects,

Regards,

Sheila

Re: cubasis channels - maybe silly question!

Originally posted by sheilagraham:
    ...Am using the version of cubasis that came with gpo, and seem to be finding that I can only use 8 channels with gpo.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sleila,

I\'ve got Windows XP, so my keys and mouse clicks assume that...

Now, in Cubasis, I\'ll assume that you\'ve got at least 2 versions of Personal Orchestra loaded up in the \"VST Instruments\" window.

Take a look at your \"arrangement\" window. I assume you see your midi file in this \"arrangment\" window.

In the \"Out\" column of the \"arrangement\" window click left and hold, for one of the tracks. Up pops a menu of all possible devices. I think you\'ll see the 2 Personal Orchestra instruments that you had loaded earlier in the VST Instruments window. Select PersonalOrchestra (V2). That gets you the channels associated with a 2nd instance of Personal Orchestra VST.

Still in the arrangement window, same track, left click and hold in the \"Chn\" column. Up pops the channel numbers. Select the channel number associated with the 2nd version of Personal Orchestra VST.

In the GPO Kontakt Player-->

You can set the channel number associated with each instrument. By default when you loaded your instruments into the Player you got channel 1 in slot 1, channel 2 in slot 2, ... channel 8 in slot 8. You can change these -- click and hold on the number next to the picture of a little midi port.

Back in Cubasis-->

Channel 1, Personal Orchestra (V1) will go to channel 1 of the first GPO Kontakt Player, which is by default is the first slot in this Player.

Channel 1, Personal Orchestra (V2) will go to channel 1 of the second GPO Kontakt Player, which by default is the first slot in this Player.

If you like, you could load an instrument into Kontakt Player and use channel 13, and then in Cubasis set your channel number to 13. But you really don\'t need any channel number other than 1 through 8 becuase you only have 8 slots per Player.

Re: cubasis channels - maybe silly question!

Hi Adam,

Thanks very much. What I hadn\'t worked out was that I could change the channel number in the Kontakt player. As a very non-visual person, I hadn\'t recognised that that funny little squiggly thing was a picture of a midi port.

Onwards and upwards!

Thank you so much,

Regards,

Sheila

Go Back to forum