• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Violinists demand more pay

Share/Bookmark

OT: Violinists demand more pay

http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2004/s1073945.htm

So now is the time for GPO and GOS to come in and eliminate all of these prima donnas <g>.

Re: OT: Violinists demand more pay

Yeah .. people can be really annoying here in good ol\' germany [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Malte

I\'ve given some thought to this story and now I think I ought to get paid for how many lines of code I write.

Yep, that\'s it -- the longer (and more bloated) the program the better. Why should the guys who write optimized code (and thus perform less work) get the same money as I do?

i agree with you tremolo. I got a violin this christmas and so far i only learnd to play random harmonics [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I do not agree.

An interesting discussion indeed, and although there is something true about that I don\'t think that this would be a good idea. A band always consists of more or less sophisticated instruments. That is right. But each of the instruments is equally important to model the whole Sound. And paying the string players more than the others would disturb the peace among the musicians... so this would affect the harmony of the whole Sound again.

\"I dont think the real point should be about the number of notes played. I would say that the difficulty of learning an instrument be the factor. I bet anyone here would agree that the violin is harder to learn and perfect than percussion\"!!

I do not dispute the fact that learning to play the violin well is not a hard task and may be it is the most difficult to master. However, to say it is more difficult to master than percussion and visa versa is more or less a bias opinion. I am learning violin now and can say comfortably it is not an easy task. But, as a percussionist I must say there are aspects of playing the various instruments in the percussion family that are just as difficult to master as mastering tremelo on the violin.
    Perform on snare drum a single stroke roll at quarter = 120 evenly for the duration of a minute in time with a metronome. Do it at different dynamics and tempos and keep it as absolutely even as possible.
    No, the point isn\'t how many notes. Yes it is the difficulty of learning. I will not step any further in this dispute. I\'ve been a percussionist for years but my first love was and allways will be the violin. I was only making light of the subject. (sorry for all the spelling errors)

Somehow this all reminds me of the story of the television repairman (back when there was such a thing :>) who came to the house and opened up the back of the television and looked in at all the parts and components and then reached into his kit and got a very tiny transistor and then reached deep into the cabinet and put it in among the thousands of other parts.

The television started working and the repairman said to the homeowner \"That will be $60 please.\" \"60 dollars!\" the homeowner shouted. \"For one tiny little part? That\'s ridiculous.\"

The repairman reached in again and took the transistor out and handed it to the man. \"The part is free\", said the repairperson. \"It\'s $60 for knowing where to put it.\"

I don\'t care if there\'s only one cymbal crash in the whole score -- the money paid to the percussionist is for knowing when to sound it.

Originally posted by Styxx:
    \"The violinists claim that because they play more notes than their fellow musicians they deserve to be paid more\".
    Yeah right so percussionist should be paid more because we have to carry more and heavier equipment around right! Let\'s see, I have a couple caddy\'s of various size sticks and mallets and not to mention heads and....but wait...I play violin too! Not as well mind you but how many notes are we talking here? This could become lucrative!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Strange as it may seem, 1st violinists were traditionally paid more in top orchestras like the Philly Philharmonic. This practice wained after WWII as the union got pressured.

\"The violinists claim that because they play more notes than their fellow musicians they deserve to be paid more\".
    Yeah right so percussionist should be paid more because we have to carry more and heavier equipment around right! Let\'s see, I have a couple caddy\'s of various size sticks and mallets and not to mention heads and....but wait...I play violin too! Not as well mind you but how many notes are we talking here? This could become lucrative!

Go Back to forum