• Register
  • Help

Topic: New work for Harp and String Quartet using GPO

Share/Bookmark

New work for Harp and String Quartet using GPO

Greetings to all GPO users

Just finished \"Homage to Albert Roussel\" for harp and string quartet. This is a concept work to be made performable by live musicians (as it is now the harp part would not be possible for one player, it will be reworked for 2 harps and string quartet. This is the first movement of a multi movement work.

Tech info: GPO, MacG4 running OS 10.3,800 mhz, 1.756 gig ram.

Composed with Sibelius 3.

http://www.digitalphilharmonic.com/ibkharpstrqt.html

This is a 5 or 6 minute download for non broadband. There are a few minor \"audio glitches\" which I couldn\'t correct. Any advice is welcome.

After 35 years of composing music, I find the current technology available to composers is very exciting and adds a whole dimension to musical composition.

hope you enjoy it.

Ira Kraemer

Re: New work for Harp and String Quartet using GPO

Nice work. It\'s good to hear someone else doing contemporary classical. Did you do the strings with GPO too? Sounds like you\'ve worked hard to get some realism there. I\'m only listening on my tiny PC speakers at work at the moment... not sure if that\'s helping or hurting the case. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

- Jamie Kowalski

Hi Jamie;

Yes, everything was done with GPO in Sibelius 3. I had to wait for about a month before starting this work as I was finishing a Viola Sonata as performers were waiting for the parts. What you hear is about 3 weeks of work, 1 or 2 hours each day.
    Glad you enjoyed the piece

Ira Kraemer

Originally posted by Ira Kraemer:

After 35 years of composing music, I find the current technology available to composers is very exciting and adds a whole dimension to musical composition.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I listened to your recording and although I dont\' have a high quality setup I was thinking that the harp sounded pretty good.

I suspect that hiring two harpists will be pretty expensive. Do you think it more economically feasible to play the \"harp\" part with a MIDI Keyboard controller playing your harp music with GPO?

Setup would be a laptop, high quality speakers, keyboard controller, and the pedal controls the damping on the harp. One less performer than with two harps and a lot less space is needed.

Hi

The direct link is:

www.digitalphilharmonic.com/harpstrqt.mp3

For Adam;

Actually the piece works great in GPO because one does not have to worry about harp pedaling issues. For a live performance there are some chromatic glissando sequences in \"Homage to Albert Roussel\" which are not possible on one harp. I am contnet to leave the work as it is, however there is a certain lift you get when having your own composition played live, as we all know, that human element. I found the best way to have your works played live is to seek out students who are up for the challenge of learning a new work. They even love it when you prsent a computer generated mock up.

Regards
    Ira Kraemer

Originally posted by Ira Kraemer:
    Hi

The direct link is:

www.digitalphilharmonic.com/harpstrqt.mp3

For Adam;

Actually the piece works great in GPO because one does not have to worry about harp pedaling issues. For a live performance there are some chromatic glissando sequences in \"Homage to Albert Roussel\" which are not possible on one harp. I am contnet to leave the work as it is, however there is a certain lift you get when having your own composition played live, as we all know, that human element. I found the best way to have your works played live is to seek out students who are up for the challenge of learning a new work. They even love it when you prsent a computer generated mock up.

Regards
    Ira Kraemer
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ira,

Really good post-impressionistic piece. As a harpist I couldn\'t imagine playing this. Although it may be possible with special tuning or with a chromatic cross-strung harp.

The mix seems to be mono and you may want to mix with a greater stereo spread with ambience (could be my speakers though). Some glitching could be polyphony or the buffers. Try setting the polyphony higher and raising the buffers and see if that helps. Also, try lowering the quality settings on Ambience in GPO Studio.

Excellent composition! Its fabulous you did this with notation. Please post some more of your work!

Gary Garritan

This is absolutely great! Please let us hear some more of your work.

Couldn´t you post the direct link? My Internet explorer crashes when opening your page.

Go Back to forum