• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Patriotic/Military/March type rhythm with GPO?

Share/Bookmark

Patriotic/Military/March type rhythm with GPO?

How do I get that rhythm with GPO that is played during army/march/patriotic themes? That shuffly drill type of beat, I dont know whats the exact term for it.

I would appreciate it if anyone can give a midi of such a beat with GPO (if its possible with GPO).

Re: Patriotic/Military/March type rhythm with GPO?

Hi Neole,
    I\'m a percussionist. I use a Roland SPD-20 percussion pad midi to an interface and thus can control the type of \"strokes\" entered. I haven\'t tried it yet with GPO but will tonight and send you the result for your inspection as an mp3? As for the name of the \"shuffly drill type of beat\". There are normally 25 rudiments in drumming. All of them are involved one way or another in marching. Are you looking for the John Philip Suza type of march? A \"Stars and Stripes Forever\" type of march?

hey cool, I didn\'t know march had 25 sets of preset beats.. (if that\'s what you meant) care to shed some light on details?

Probably a Stars and Stripes Forever type of beat. Im not sure its a march beat, its plaeyd in movie scores whenever there\'s a military type of scene or patriotic one, maybe armies gathering or tanks showing up or maybe flag saluting etc.

Sort of like the Star Spangled Banner midi on this page -
    http://www.laurasmidiheaven.com/Patriotic.shtml

Only the beat would be continuous, and with GPO samples hopefully.

Sort of like this too, but the beat should be more shuffly sounding (I mean in sound, not in \'shuffle feel\') -
    http://www.discoverynet.com/~ajsnead/patriotic/midi/yankee_doodle_bt.mid

The Yankee Doodle midi is the 2nd last on this page if it doesnt open directly -
    http://www.discoverynet.com/~ajsnead/patriotic/usasongs.html

Neole, kensuguro.
    www.studydrums.com
    Here you can find the list of \"26\" rudiments of drumming (I stand corrected) and a good in depth explanation. Click on \"rudiments\" for a listing as well as a written rhythmic notation of each. Bare in mind that these are the \"foundational\" rudiments and each have variations and or inversions.
    It would be nice to have each of them sampled into a percussion library to use in any combination. I will try to send you a sample of what they sound like on a real snare drum. (hope my chops are up to pare)

Originally posted by Styxx:
    Neole, kensuguro.
    www.studydrums.com
    Here you can find the list of \"26\" rudiments of drumming (I stand corrected) and a good in depth explanation. Click on \"rudiments\" for a listing as well as a written rhythmic notation of each. Bare in mind that these are the \"foundational\" rudiments and each have variations and or inversions.
    It would be nice to have each of them sampled into a percussion library to use in any combination. I will try to send you a sample of what they sound like on a real snare drum. (hope my chops are up to pare)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Styxx,

Can some of these \"26\" rudiments of drumming be made into MIDI files from the Roland SPD-20 percussion pad so that users can copy and paste them into their sequences? It would be nice to offer a \"Rudiments of Drumming\" packet similar to the Harp glissandi packets. Do you think such a packet would be helpful?

Gary Garritan

Heh. Rudiments shmudiments. I think drummers and their silly PAS (Percussive Arts Society) sit around and make up these \"rudiments\" all day to feel like musicians.

\"Oh, yeah, uh...that\'s uhhhh, a triple rat-a-ma fla-flah. Yep.\"

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

--Eric
    (high school band director, assisted by a percussionist) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Garritan:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Styxx:
    Neole, kensuguro.
    www.studydrums.com
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Styxx,

Can some of these \"26\" rudiments of drumming be made into MIDI files from the Roland SPD-20 percussion pad so that users can copy and paste them into their sequences? It would be nice to offer a \"Rudiments of Drumming\" packet similar to the Harp glissandi packets. Do you think such a packet would be helpful?

Gary Garritan
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Out of context, the rudiments may not be a construction kit, per se, but if they were \"sticked in\" that would definitely give some real flavor.

One issue I see which might be of help if you guys are seriously going to construct this...you\'ll need to play them in various tempo \"zones,\" since the sticking pattern of each rudiment changes flavors depending upon the tempo. Played slowly, everything is a single hit. As you speed up, the repeated hands tend to become doubles, and the accent pattern shifts accordingly.

Of course, the goal of rudimentary playing is uniformity, but that uniformity is relative to tempo.

Seems there would also be a need for some straight quarters, eighths, and sixteenths to glue the rudiments together. A part made solely of rudiments would likely be very busy.

Hmmmm....interesting. I am working on some samples right now. This brings about many questions concerning meter, tempo, feel, and the overall construction of drum riffs, turnarounds, and fills.
    I have never ever used (in the past except GPO) preset drums from a sequence. I allways used the pad and would \"stick\" my drums and percussion in. Especially timpani! I have a whole library of midi files with timpani rolls sounding like a Tommy gun! It\'s late. Wheels are turning.

Go Back to forum