• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Helpful hint for Cubase SX users

Share/Bookmark

Re: Helpful hint for Cubase SX users

Eric, to save even more time you can show more than one table at the bottom, one showing Mod wheel, one showing velocity and one showing sustain data while working with GPO, makes editing after the fact very easy!

Yes, that\'s exactely how I set up my piano roll in Cubase SX! Works fantastic and you can paint very real sounding curves with a little patience.

Peter

Thanks Alan but I think I need to make the upgrade to SX2 for that. I\'m still stuck back here in SX 1.06. Finding this is making all the difference. I hope to post my first GPO demo soon.
    Eric W

Originally posted by eaglehvac:
    Thanks Alan but I think I need to make the upgrade to SX2 for that. I\'m still stuck back here in SX 1.06. Finding this is making all the difference. I hope to post my first GPO demo soon.
    Eric W
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You should upgrade when you get a chance, definetly worth the small fee... Until then, I look forward to hearing some of your work! Nice to see another Illinoiser on here [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

I have cubase sl 1 and you can do it, it\'s not necessary to upgrade. If you look in the manual you can figure out how to do it. Now I\'m going out for a week but if you need help when i\'ll be back I can give you more details

In SX 2 you simply right click in the bottom portion of the window and the option is something like \"Open New Contoller Pane\" or something close. I thought it might work on SX 1 but I wasn\'t sure. Give it a shot Eric and let us know, it helps speed things up greatly when you can controll your attach (via velocity) and your expression (via mod) at the same time...

Yeah the midi editor is really useful. I like using the parable instead of the pencil or line tool.

Helpful hint for Cubase SX users

Ok, after toying around all morning I finally found what I was looking for to make the modwheel expression workable for me. The main problem I was having was going from one take to the next on a single track without the modwheel values lining up from the end of one take to the begining of the next. I usually only write and record one or two measures at a time for orchestral stuff. So anyway, I just realized that you can show the modwheel movements graphically in the key editor. Yeah! (Triumph trumpets here) So from one section to the next, you can draw a nice smooth line and also adjust any of the performances you already recorded just by tugging the values up or down or drawing a new line through it. Sorry if this was obvious to everyone else but this is the deal maker between GPO and I. Now on to it!

Eric W

Parable? Heard the one about the tortoise and the hare?

There\'s also a paintbrush tool that I\'ve enjoyed from time to time. The \"piano roll\" editor can be very useful for \"tweaking\" notes and even copying lines (or portions of lines that you want to repeat in a different time area. (The only thing missing is a \"lasso\" type tool, so you could grab portions of a string of notes -- omitting a bass line without having to simple \"shelf it out\" at C3 or something. I\'ll take that up in the Cubase forum, I guess.)

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] kev

The way I work in Cubase SX quite often is to play chords into just one instrument; say the Violas or Cellos or Bassoons, then separate the parts into other instruments. I do this by first correcting and adding mod values to the one track that has the chords. Then, in the main track view, I hold the Alt key and copy that track onto other instruments just as it is. Say it was on a Viola track, I\'ll put the same track onto the 2nd Violins and the 1st Violins; renaming each track section as I go so I don\'t get confused. Then in track editor, I squeeze the timeline a bit (bottom-right corner) and draw a marquee around the notes that don\'t belong for that instrument. On the Viola track, I would erase all but the bottom notes in the chords. You can hold the shift key to keep selecting, then delete the notes all at once. For the 2nd Violin track, I would erase both the bottom notes and the top notes, and so on.

Doing it this way, my dynamics I initially set with the mod wheel are preserved and now the chords are played by a section of instruments all with the same dynamics.

Go Back to forum