• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Legato and Overture

Share/Bookmark

Legato and Overture

Hi,
    is there a way to add legato (sustain pedal) in Overture ?
    I mean without a recording a pedal depressure.

I\'ve read somewhere that using the slur in Group Palette and then \"enabling playback\" in Edit menu will do the job.
    I\'ve tried this approach but unfortunately it doesn\'t work.

I\'ve also tried to manually insert the cc64 value 127 in the piano roll window, but despite the complexity to add it via mouse, still no luck.

I\'ve also checked the players setup in GPO Studio and they are in No Sustain/sostenuto midicc mode.

I\'m using a Violin 1 Lush Section patch
    Any idea ?

Thank in advance

Re: Legato and Overture

2 steps: first, select the notes you want to legato. (Don\'t select the last note of the phrase or it will legato up to the next one). Press Ctrl+Y. Go to Duration, select Legato and click OK.

That only takes care of the duration!

To enable the GPO legato, I use an \"expression\" to enable it. You can choose not to print it in the final score, but I find its the fastest way to do it and I can keep track of it without going back into the graphics menu.

To do this:
    Enter any expression right after the first note in the phrase. Double click it, rename it \"legato\" or \"leg.\" and change the cc sustain value to 127. To turn legato off, just enter an expression there and change the cc sustain value back to 0.

As a bonus for GPO users, I am hoping Geniesoft makes this automatic when using slurs and dotted slurs. Don Williams, lead programmer of Geniesoft, if you are listening. It would be easy enough to have the beginning point and endpoint of slurs trigger pedal on/off. (just make sure it gets triggered just after the beginning point so we can still hear the attack at the beginning of the phrase!)

If you still have trouble, try choosing \"play as recorded\" rather than \"play as written\". I think one of them might disable playback of some cc data. I don\'t remember.

Thanks for the answers.
    I\'m running Overture SE 3.5.1 and trying your procedure (select the slur and enable playing) seems not working. In fact I can\'t hear any difference (using Section Violin I Lush).

Is there any way to check if the \"enabled\" legato produce sustain on and off ?

I\'ve tried to check the graphic windows but I can\'t see CC64 events anywhere.

Thx
    GF

Jesse,

I\'m pretty sure that the latest version of Overture DOES enable legato mode in GPO when you use a slur, select it and choose Edit/Enable playback. At least it works for me.

-- Martin

I found the following in the help files for Overture SE Personal Orchestra Edition for Windows 3.5.1:

\"MIDI Playback is unaffected by slurs.\"

(I guess that is pretty clear that slurs do not insert CC64 into a score.)

I\'ve tried to enter CC64 controller data in the Graphics Window but I can\'t find a way to enter CC64 = 127 or 0! I can enter a maximum 126 and minimum 2 but not 127 or 0.

Has anyone got a tip on how to enter a 127 or 0 value in the Graphics Window for a controller?

Adam,
    as for the zero, you can try to expand the area below the lower limit (dragging the lower line). Than you can add the event below the line and the system translate it automatically to 0.
    For 127 you should try and try.
    I\'ve been able to insert it but it\'s really tricky.
    I hope in the future they will link the CC64 to \"Ped\" and \"*\" in the score edit.
    This would be really helpful.

Bye
    GF

PatS

Until Don enables MIDI playback of the pedal symbols, the best method is to rename and modify an existing \"expression\" (from the Expressions [Expr] palette), as Jesse has already suggested.

Insert any expression (e.g., a tempo) into the score, then double-click it. Under the Playback section, click the radio button next to \"Controller,\" then select \"Sustain Pedal\" in the drop-down menu. Finally, set the value to 127 (pedal on) or 0 (pedal off).

I recommend creating two expressions--Pedal On and Pedal Off. Then copy and paste them to any place in the score where you need to turn on or off the pedal function (I set the text to bold so that it stands out). Also, deselect \"Print Text\" in the Expressions window so that the extra text won\'t appear in your printed score.

Pat

Originally posted by GF:
    as for the zero, you can try to expand the area below the lower limit (dragging the lower line)... For 127 you should try and try.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">GF,

Thanks, the 0 is quite easy now with that tip, and as for 127 I kept at it and sure enough I can get it. While moving the pencil around I watch the number in the upper left change to 127 and I immediately click.

Originally posted by PatS:
    Insert any expression (e.g., a tempo) into the score, then double-click it. Under the Playback section, click the radio button next to \"Controller,\" then select \"Sustain Pedal\" in the drop-down menu. Finally, set the value to 127 (pedal on) or 0 (pedal off).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Pat,

This would be great for me, but when I set the expression in the score, double-click it, up pops the expression window, and in this window I see the radio button for controller -- but it is greyed-out. I can\'t click it.

Do you know why this is so? I\'m using the Overture that came with GPO, and I updated it from the Garritan site (version Overture SE - Personal Orchestra Edition, 3.5.1).

PatS

Sorry about that! I use the full version. I didn\'t realize Don disabled that feature in the SE version. If it\'s any consolation, GF\'s technique for setting the value to 0 works like a charm. And I was able to set the value to 127 easily by dragging the cursor from the lower pane into the upper pane.

Pat

Go Back to forum