• Register
  • Help

Topic: Mod Wheel strategy/practice

Share/Bookmark

Mod Wheel strategy/practice

Okay. I\'m cool with the Mod Wheel being the main dynamics controller for most of the voices in GPO, but I\'m darned confused about initial stuff.

On p. 7 of the GPO Guide in the \"Get to Know Your Mod Wheel!\" box, it says \"\"In the case of a sequencer, make sure to record a nudge of the Mod Wheel at the beginning of every MIDI track so that GPO instruments will start with the correct initial volume upon playback.\" Sounds simple and straightforward enough.

But what is the relationship between the Mod Wheel on my MIDI instrument and the Mod While display on the GPO VST display? What if I just want to start a part with (say) a value of 84 and play at that level until I hit the Mod Wheel up or down?

On a related note, is there any \"Preferences\" setting for default the Mod Wheel to the middle of the range?

thanks, in advance ... i love this package -- it\'s WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY under-priced!

kev [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Mod Wheel strategy/practice

NO IDEAS?

I\'m drawing a serious blank here ... sorry if this appears to be a dumb question!

Kev,

\"But what is the relationship between the Mod Wheel on my MIDI instrument and the Mod While display on the GPO VST display?\"

The graphic display of the mod wheel in the player really has only one practical purpose: If you happen to be in the player and want to bring up the level on a loaded instrument without grabbing the wheel on your keyboard you can use the graphic one to do that temporarily. But it is an internal convenience of the player and of little practical value beyond that. Use the mod wheel on your keyboard or draw cc#1 controller data into your tracks for all normal applications.

\"What if I just want to start a part with (say) a value of 84 and play at that level until I hit the Mod Wheel up or down?\"

\"On a related note, is there any \"Preferences\" setting for default the Mod Wheel to the middle of the range?\"

This is not presently possible with the Kontakt player due to its internal structure. The best course of action is to build sequencer templates that place cc#1 data at the beginning of the tracks to establish a moderate value (like 84) at the outset. Depending upon your sequencer you will probably need to briefly hit the \"play\" button to send the initial values when you first load the song.

Sonar 3 has a nice feature that allows you to have levels set automatically upon loading a song file. No need to place data in the track or start playback to send those values – instrument levels are up (at your specified value) and ready to play as soon as you load the song. Pretty nice.

Tom

[del *.*]
    [edit]
    Sorry I completely misunderstood everything in this question. Original answer was deleted [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Malte
    [/edit]

Thanks, Tom.

To me this is a matter of convenience and a small annoyance. It\'s not very natural to play a two-handed instrument (harp, organ or piano) with the left hand on your mod wheel. Sure, it works mostly find for most single-line instruments, but even section stuff (for me at least) is a two-handed affair.

I wonder if others have substituted a good \"expression pedal\" for the Mod Wheel and what, if any, are the ramifications of that? I am using Cubase SX 2.0.1 as my sequencer.

tia ... kev

Kev,

I believe you\'ve misunderstood one thing: Piano, harp, pizz, drums, and any other instruments that are essentially percussive in nature don\'t use the mod wheel - you have both hands free for those instruments. Organ is a little different and if I were using that instrument regularly I\'d recommend a continuous controller foot pedal sending cc#1.

Mod wheel is used for instruments requiring continuous expressive control like strings, woodwinds, brass and a few others. These are intended to be played with the right hand on the keyboard and the left on the mod wheel. The technique I described can set initial levels for these instruments.

Tom

and anyway...I would think it would be about a zillion times easier to play your parts in first and then come back in a second pass to record crescendos and descrescendos. In fact, even more controllable to draw them in as controller curves I reckon...

Go Back to forum