• Register
  • Help

Topic: Instrument limitation of Kontakt Player

Share/Bookmark

Instrument limitation of Kontakt Player

Why only 8 instruments per instance of the Kontakt Player? This may have been asked before, but I just started wondering about this today. Go figure. Anyway, you have 16 midi channel choices per instance, but only 8 instruments, why is that? Is this a software imposed limitation or is this a design choice?

Thanks.

Re: Instrument limitation of Kontakt Player

Joseph,

This is a design choice by Native Instruments. It is one of the contrasting differences with the full version of Kontakt (which has 16 slots).

Tom

Tom and Joe, with the next GPO skin, I\'ll put in 32 instrument slots... think we could get NI to program that one! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I wish, but 16 would be good! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Well considering that Kontakt IS NOT Kompakt, and that even my Edirol has 16 slots, then I think NI has unecessarily crippled GPO (but not too severely). I don\'t blame Gary for this at all, but I think NI should be pressured to lift this limitation which has no technical basis and will not really significantly increase sales of Kontakt.

You just open another instance of the plugin and that\'s it. I suppose it involves more CPU than having more instruments in a single instance, but it\'s not really too much of a problem

The limitation of 8 slots is essentially irrelevant. It makes no practical difference whether the user loads 2 instances of 16 slots each or 4 instances of 8 slots each. There is no loss of routing flexibility and both are limited primarily by the power of the computer being used. It just looks like you are getting less. You aren’t really.

Tom

Well, it is a slight issue considering that you can only have 4 instances of 8 instruments in the included Cubasis. I was just wondering, but since Studio is out there for free and maybe one day it will have a \'capture to wav\' feature, it really is a mute point.

Originally posted by Tom Hopkins:
    ...both are limited primarily by the power of the computer being used.
    Tom
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">True, but I have found that fewer instances uses less memory, even when the total number of loaded instruments is the same. In other words, eight instances with one instrument each takes much more memory than one instance with eight instruments loaded.

Go Back to forum