• Register
  • Help

Topic: Introduction and First Recording with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Introduction and First Recording with GPO

I bought GPO a little over a month ago but haven’t had time to play with it until just recently. So far any problems are solely with the composer/performer/conductor! I’ve done “orchestrations” with pure synth sounds in the past and find it interesting that the more realistic the instruments sound the less realistic my attempts sound.

I bought a few pieces of reference materials (such as scores from everyone from Vivaldi to Stravinsky and the book by Rimsky-Korsakov) to study, but I’m most likely going to be bugging people here with questions as I learn. Hopefully I won’t wear out my welcome.

To show how far I have to go, here is the first little test song I did with GPO. It is a little quartet based on a song I sing to my parrot, Figaro (Figgy) and is very simple. Except for the melody of the main verse and chorus, the whole thing was pretty much improvised. I did a little cutting and pasting, which caused some rough transitions.
    http://trentsworld.com/music/postings/figgy-quartet-take-02.mp3
    I know, not great, but as I said, a first attempt. Comments, rude remarks, etc. welcome.

Listening to samples people have posted here I am impressed with the talent of this group and with the sound of GPO.

Re: Introduction and First Recording with GPO

Trent

Welcome to the family. Your parrot must be really happy! What I like most about the piece is that it sounds natural. I feel like I poked my head into the practice room and heard four people getting together for the first time trying to play a piece together. I don\'t mean that in a bad way. It sounds genuine, real.
    Looking forward to hearing more.

trentpmcd,

I tend to agree with kstevege that it does sound like one stumbled into a quartet rehearsal.
    Each instrument part is succinct. This is unique because it is not perfectly quantized as so much music is today.

Does Figgy sing also? If so, what a duet you could have!

Gary Garritan

Thanks.

Figgy is only happy if I sing her song to her for about 5 hours on end. She thinks my purpose in life is to entertain her. She talks a little but doesn’t sing, so no duets any time soon.

I try to avoid quantizing unless the part really calls for it. Unfortunately, I’m not very good at staying on rhythm (I tend to rush) so should use it a little more than I do.

The feedback from listening to GPO helps me get more natural phrasing. I listen to something I had recently done with another sample library and it sounds exactly like somebody playing samples on a keyboard.

Trent,

Hey, nice work. I don\'t think that your tempos are rushed, maybe just a few eighth notes here and there.

Jonny

By the way, Figgy\'s tune is going to be stuck in my head all day!! DOH!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Maybe if I knew the words, it would go away!

Ignore

High Trent,

I\'m afraid that I have to agree with the others.... this is the most realistic string quartet that I have heard on any site with any library. I don\'t listen to CDs of quartets...not my bag, but yours does sound like the quartets I\'ve encountered, however rarely, in the real world.

Interesting, for me, is the fact that I think you have accidentally hit on what seems to make a sampled quartet sound like the real thing....and that is timing inaccuracy!

I think that once you conquer piano roll editing in a sequencer you\'ll be able to make it even more realistic by adding more dynamic subtelty. However you did a great job with a score editor.

Surprisingly good.....

Frank

Go Back to forum