• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Thank you, Gary Garritan, and my first piece using GPO

Share/Bookmark

Thank you, Gary Garritan, and my first piece using GPO

GPO is an amazing tool! I use it only as player in conjunction with Sibelius and it works so great. Being able to hear the orchestra immediatly while writing is a creative liberation not describable in words. Thank you , Gary Garritan, for the creation of this tool!

This is the first piece I´ve written with the Sibelius/GPO combo. Recorded is the output of GPO-studio, no mixing or anything. This is layout for realisation with Opus1, but I guess I will also use some sounds of GPO. So you hear no performance, just stupid Sibelius.
    http://www.audionomio.de/mp3/OrchestralDramaNr3_GPOSib9.mp3
    (It´s 6min, 5.6MB and there are clicks in passages in which my computer isn´t fast enough.)

Comments and constructive critic for the piece is very welcome!

Again thanks, Gary and company,
    warm regards,
    - Mathis

Re: Thank you, Gary Garritan, and my first piece using GPO

I liked it a lot !
    Very moody, \"impressionist\" (sorry, I\'m french, and don\'t really know if this word has the same meaning in english) kind of music.
    This still demonstrates the big potential of GPO, which is able of a lot of things in skillfull hands.
    Did you control the -obvious- dynamic changes thanks to Sibelius ?
    I explored a little the bundled Overture SE, which is fine as a score maker, but I did not yet found how to easily vary the intensity of instruments on the score.
    And, as an owner of Opus 1 too (thanks, Garritan, for the partnership with VSL which made Opus\' price a little more acceptable for my budget), I\'d love to hear what this piece becomes with Opus\' sounds !
    So please post it somewhere when you make the Opus version !

good stuff ... sounds a bit like Ravel to me ... (or is it because Ive been listening to his piano concerto too much ? ..I dont know!)

overall the orchestration was nice. I was only wondering if you could make the attacks in the short bows better?

Johnny,

I normally go for the more melodic stuff but I also have a taste for some of the more chewy pieces too. This really suited me and had some great moments. (Tremelo I love Ravel\'s piano concerto too and only discovered it a few years ago)

It does sound surprisingly good considering it\'s so raw. I imagine its much easier to put in expression in a piano editor screen than in a score based system.

Enjoyable piece well done,

Frank

Frank, interesting to know you are a fan too..

Ravel\'s orchestration is always amazing and offers something new.

In the piano concerto for example the single slap stick note in the opening which leads to a fast piano passage is very interesting. What a long way this is from Beethovens emperor (which of course I admire too!) also the way he uses the harp and piano to complement each other....wow

And of course the scales he uses are amazing !! what a pleasure to hear!!

Actually I was so inspired by this piece that I started working on piece, it seems to be unfolding by itself into a big one, but given my limited talent and training I often feel stumped.

Maybe someone should orchestrate Ravels piano cto using GPO?...will be interesting to hear

thanks, guys! I hope you don´t mind if I take the comparison with Ravel as a compliment... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I did the dynamics in Sibelius with the C1 Midi command (p~C1,30 etc.) and articulation signs like marcato. I wish Sibelius would be able to play back hairpin dynamics, but well...
    Also I don´t know how to use string articulations other than the basic legato patch, since I don´t know if Sibelius can send Keyswitch commands. Actually of course the strings in the first part are supposed to be detache, and in the second part I need some pizz and tremolo.
    But as a layout tool this combination is simply fantastic and a great fun to work with. I really enjoy composing with it.

Bests,
    - Mathis

Mathis,

This is a nice musical journey! I really like your use instrumentation and the sonic pictures you paint. Very impressionistic and compelling!

It is hard to believe this notation based. This is some the best expression I\'ve heard from a notation program combined with GPO Studio.

I am looking forward to hearing more of your music.

Thank you very much for sharing your first piece with GPO.

Gary Garritan

Thanks Gary, for your nice words.

For everybody who is interested:
    I finished the piece, still quite a lot GPO involved.
    I posted it here:
    http://www.northernsounds.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=007614

Please comment!
    Bests,
    - Mathis

Impressive - it\'s great to hear this coming from notation. Do you have any tricks you used, or is it pretty much limited to ~C1 (mod wheel) text? Sounds good.

Mathis,

This seems to demonstrates the potential of using samples with notation programs like Sibelius, Finale and Overture. Many people here probably use sequencers and may not realize what it means to be able play from a notation program.

Thanks for sharing this.

Gary Garritan

PS: This is the first tschaikosvkian samba I\'ve heard with a wind machine at the end [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum