• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How come GPO sounds so good???

Share/Bookmark

How come GPO sounds so good???

So I am looking into getting an orchestra library. I been looking at the big boys like VSL and EWQLSO than I stumbled across GPO. I been listening to demos and do notice a slighty more dynamic sound with the other too but the difference is not huge. GPO is only 2GB right? Well most of these other librarys are between 15 and 280GB. Does GPO have velocity layered samples? Why does it sound so good? thanks

Re: How come GPO sounds so good???

aleatoric,

What sets GPO apart is its ability to create sections and ensembles from individual expressive instruments. With GPO you can make your orchestrations any way you want. If you want solos, duos, quartets, divisi lines or separate lines you have them. When each instrument plays its own line, and each line is musical and expressive, the combined result is, as you write, \"more dynamic sound\" - even with a smaller footprint.

Current libraries offer recordings of predetermined sections. They offer, say, six horns playing in unison, or 3 clarinets playing the same note, or 3 flutes playing in unison, and so on. A section is usually fixed and there is little or no ability to do separate parts or divisi. Those six horns are recorded together, or hard-wired together; every time you play a note you get all six horns blaring in unison. Therefore, if your composition should happen to include a chord for horns, you get stuck with 18 horn players. Beethoven may score for only two horns, Tchaikovsky for 4 horns, John Williams may score for 5, Mahler for 8, etc. Then there may also be separate or divisi parts. But if you have a library with only 6 horns playing in lockstep unison, you are out of luck.

The Garritan Personal Orchestra provides (for example) eight separately programmed horn players. This means you can have eight note unisons, or triads with one to eight players in any combination. This is the scheme employed throughout the library with brass, stringed and woodwinds.

Also, we sampled high-quality instruments - Stradivari, Guarnieri, Gagliano to name a few. We have a simple control system that lets you shape many of the articulations in real-time. When each instrument plays its own part in a musical and expressive fashion, the combined result is realism. No other library takes this approach. The ability to build your own instrumentation with individual expressive instruments is what sets GPO apart.

Gary Garritan

I was hoping you would respond [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

That really cleared alot up for me and made alot of sense. Like I said I have been looking heavily into all the available orchestra librarys and kinda been overlooking GPO because I actaully have been saving cash for a more expensive library and GPO is only 2GB.....now I have a fender rhodes patch I play in EXS that is 1.5GB! So 2GB seemed rather small to capture realistic orchestra sounds. However it is pretty funny the difference in sound and realism I noticed with the GPO demo of beethoven 5th and EWQLSO demo of the same. Now the EWQLSO did sound a little better....but not 2,600 dollars better! I am going to keep looking around but I am a strong believer in less is more and I am liking the idea of really limiting myself a bit and really getting to know my library and seeing what I can do with that....as opposed to having say 68GB on my hard drive I wont use to the fullest.

It should be said that besides HALion String Edition and Culture I am new to the whole Orchestral sequencing thing. See like alot of vets out here. I am hoping to get a job in the line of film scoring or sound for tv and want to get into orchestral instruments, kinda in an ambient way not so much classical. I am going to keep thinking about a smart purchase. thanks for info.

by the way that picture of the guy with a laptop by the ocean is classic. It sticks in your head! Now if that was VSL you\'d see like 3 G5\'s and a bunch of FireWire 800 drives! I guess that is what is so appealing about GPO.

Originally posted by Garritan:
    aleatoric,

What sets GPO apart is its ability to create sections and ensembles from individual expressive instruments. With GPO you can make your orchestrations any way you want. If you want solos, duos, quartets, divisi lines or separate lines you have them. When each instrument plays its own line, and each line is musical and expressive, the combined result is, as you write, \"more dynamic sound\" - even with a smaller footprint.

Gary Garritan
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yep, no doubt about it, this, more than anything else, is what intrigued me about the GPO set-up.

I\'m hoping to see this idea taken even further and certainly hope you don\'t abandon the Mac platform.

Fwiw, I did do a cue for \"As the World Turns\" using 4 cellos on individual channels (played one at a time slightly \"off\" from one another) another 4 violas the same way and four violins (before my infamous \"problems\" stated in the OSX thread).

I eventually had to copy each part to an audio track to get it to work, but the overall result was fantastic.

I think what many of us composers would ultimately like to see is a library of individual instruments, eiither in giga or native format.

This would be the \"bees knees\"!!

Ed

aleatoric, listen to Ed -- he is, after all, an Emmy winning composer.

Ed, I\'m curious to know if the piece you did was specifically for As the World Turns or simply a sketch made prior to the actual final recording.

Some folks on these forums have said that you can\'t use GPO for anything but a sketchbook and I personally think that\'s elitist hogwash. I can imagine many pros using GPO for the final product simply because a) it sounds great; b) it\'s so expressive; and c) it\'s so easy and intuitive to use.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Ed I went to your website and listened to some of your cues. VERY NICE STUFF!

Hi Ed. Nice to see you here. Haven\'t seen anything from you since Midiforum disappeared.

-- Martin

Originally posted by robgb:
    r.

Ed, I\'m curious to know if the piece you did was specifically for As the World Turns or simply a sketch made prior to the actual final recording.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Rob,

I do a sketch with my Triton rack, usually by simply laying out 5 midi channels with either a synth string on each or a mix of pizz and strings when needed.

I then scratch that and do a final mix with either GOS (on the PC), GPO or Kirk Hunter\'s Virtuoso Strings (and sometimes a mix of all those).

I\'ve got no problem using GPO as a final for strings, although I\'d probably stick with the Dan Dean stuff for woodwinds. The idea of creating my own string groupings is what drew me to GPO.

For the piano, guitars, electric bass and much of the percussion I use real instruments.

Thanks for the compliments on my MP3\'s. I\'m about to put up a new website with new samples in the coming week. I\'ll be putting up the piece with the GPO strings I discussed earlier.

Thanks again!!

Ed

Originally posted by mschiff:
    Hi Ed. Nice to see you here. Haven\'t seen anything from you since Midiforum disappeared.

-- Martin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Martin,

Are you referring to the old Compuserve days? If so, those were simpler times weren\'t they? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ed

why GPO sounds so good?
    because it\'s not a matter of \"how large are the samlpes\", but the matter is \"how you are using the samples\"!!
    if you have good quality recording, even looped, and you add massive expressive controls like legato, accents, various attacks time, expression, you will get a first class performance, more realistic that loading a 100 MB violin patch, and play a note without controlling any playing/performance parameter!

Go Back to forum