• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO: some proposals for improvments

Share/Bookmark

GPO: some proposals for improvments

After having waited for so long for that library I am really enjoying it, it has big strenghts but unfortunately also some disproportional big disadvantages:

1. The vibrato on the solo strings is much too intrusive. An automated vibrato is absolutely not convincing. I would like to see one of the controler buttons to control it in real time. Would this be possible in a fellowing update?

2. The C5-C6 range of the violins sounds really bad because too less samples are used. I have bought an orchestral library and get an 500 MB piano...but in the high string ranges you have been saving: too less samples are spread over too much keys. Would it be possible to get that fixed, please?

3. Every new loaded instrument has a zero volume. Wouldn\'t it be more comfortable if it would start with a standard value...let\'s say 100?

Thanks for your answer!

Re: GPO: some proposals for improvments

bump

Hey Gigalove,

I\'m glad you\'ve been enjoying the library.

>1. The vibrato on the solo strings is much too
    >intrusive. ..Would this be possible in a
    >fellowing update?

The easiest option may be to try one of the other violins, cellos, etc - there are three solo violins you could choose from, and multiples of the other instruments also.

You may find that none suit your taste for vibrato, which would be unfortunate but probably only something we could address with different samples, since the recordings with vibrato were played by musician with vibrato.

We\'re defintely considering adding more instruments in the future, but his isn\'t something that would come tomorrow for you.

>2. The C5-C6 range of the violins sounds really
    >bad because too less samples are used.

We\'ll be looking into recording more instruments in the future and perhaps some of them will be more to your taste. Also I\'ll look at the high range to see if there\'s a way we could improve it.

I\'ll explain really quickly one the design criteria that went into the library; we would purposefully stretch over a sample at times if we felt it improved the overall quality (smoothness, consistency etc). It\'s possible there\'s a bug of sorts in the choices we made in the C5-C6, but also possible that it\'s the best we felt possible. If that\'s the case, then a different recording would probably be the only way to get something more to your liking. You might also check out some of the various dedicated solo string libraries available, if solo strings are really important to you. They will tend to provide quite an extensive collection for you within that range of instruments.

>3. Every new loaded instrument has a zero
    >volume. Wouldn\'t it be more comfortable if it
    >would start with a standard value...let\'s say
    >100?

This is a great suggestion and something we\'ve been trying to get from NI for months. I wish this were possible immediately. I won\'t give up on it, but NI has given technical reasons (many times) why their engine won\'t allow an initial value [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I\'m not sure how to solve the problem other than make more crazy suggestions to NI, and maybe one will be accepted. It\'s a bit frustrating.

Thanks for the feedback.

3. Just a tip [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I make templates in cubase SE where i use midi -> insert -> control and there i choose a proper modulationvalue for every instrument. It works great for me.

@Jeff Hurchalla

With the bad C5-C6 range I meant the violin ensembles, not the solo violins. The solo violins sound better in the high range.

Please give us a few more samples that this region becomes playable.

Thanks

PS: Thanks for your detailed reply. That\'s what I call professional support. But my proposals have nothing to do with my personal taste as you say it.

To use so less samples in the region C5-C6 as it is shown here in the lush string section:

http://home.arcor.de/captor/GPO.JPG

is simply crap. So please fix it. Thank you.

I\'ll look into the violin ensembles today. Are there any string patches in addition to the lush violins that you thought should be better in upper range?

Yup...thanks for your fast response. All of the string ensembles are built in the same way. The lush strings were just an example.

Giga... crap? Hmmm...

Go Back to forum