• Register
  • Help

Topic: 'Nuther Stravinsky mockup

Share/Bookmark

\'Nuther Stravinsky mockup

This is one of my \"desert island\" pieces. It\'s from Stravinsky\'s own arrangement of his Cinq Doigts beginners\' pieces for piano, and these days it\'s kind of hard to find on CD. I went by the score and by my memory of a vinyl recording I had about 20 years ago. My realization, done entirely with GPO, is far from perfect, but I\'m ready to stop fooling with it for the moment:

http://www.stanford.edu/~gmsmith/mp3/stravinsky_larghetto.mp3

Greg

Re: \'Nuther Stravinsky mockup

Sounds cool Greg [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'d never heard that piece before just now.

Thanks, Jeff. I just now put up a slightly tweaked version that fixes a couple of things that were bugging me.

Maybe I should mention that S. scored the string parts in this piece for only two violins and two violas, so if the strings sound a bit astringent, don\'t blame it on GPO, blame it on my perhaps lame attempt to follow his directions.

Greg

Well done! I love the light treatment. There\'s lots of breathing room in the piece, and the way you phrased it out sounds very natural. I\'d imagine that his is one of Stravinsky\'s earlier pieces?

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:
    Well done! I love the light treatment. There\'s lots of breathing room in the piece, and the way you phrased it out sounds very natural. I\'d imagine that his is one of Stravinsky\'s earlier pieces?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks, Houston. I played in all the parts in realtime, in a piecemeal, leapfrog fashion, and I know the timing isn\'t as tight as it could be, but at some point tweaking the timing got to be like trying to reshape a cake that has already cooled off. I submitted it to Gary before posting, because I didn\'t want to invite scorn for GPO if it was really subpar, and he very kindly gave me an impulse to use to try to fatten the sound. In spite of his kindness I managed, with his impulse, to get the sound back to roughly the same degree of austerity I had been getting previously with Cakewalk\'s FX3. You can lead a horse to water, etc.

I wish this were one of S\'s early pieces; then I wouldn\'t be sweating the permission-to-post issue. First he wrote a suite of \"five-finger\" beginners\' piano pieces around 1918 or so -- at any rate, well after his Sacre period -- and then in his old age, in 1962 or thereabouts, he orchestrated them for fifteen players. Only eight are called for in this movement, though. In the piano version (one of the first pieces I wanted to learn to play, when I was first learning piano), there\'s nothing like the second oboe part or the tomfoolery of the flutes near the end.

Thanks again for the generous comment.

Greg

Greg,

Very nice. Good to hear the delicate side of GPO. You struck a fine balance and each line seems to sing and dance. Quite an improvement over the first draft and I\'m glad you stuck with it. This is one of my favorites.

Thanks for posting this!

Gary Garritan

Greg,

Would you mind sending me the MIDI file.

Thanks,

Gary

Go Back to forum