• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO Host Studio

Share/Bookmark

GPO Host Studio

Hi!
    Well first of all, hello everybody (as it\'s my first post)!
    I just recieved my copy of Garritan Personal Orchestra (:-)) and I noticed that the GPO Studio for Mac OS X is version 111b (noted 1.1 in the finder infos, date : 13/02/2004) and would like to know if I\'m a lucky guy or if there is a place where to find updates of GPO Studio. The last version I saw on www.personalorchestra.com is 1.0RC4.
    Gil.

Re: GPO Host Studio

Hi Gil,
    You\'ve got the very latest version [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'ll have to give Gary a remnider to put the latest up on the web site. It\'s pretty new, as you saw.

It would be wonderful to get the update. Considering the number of bugs reported by this forum for the GPO Host Mac software, it seems more than strange that even though many of the posts were after 2/13/04 that to this day an update isn\'t available. I\'m more than a little frustrated with GPO for Mac and the response from the GPO team has been almost null. I think that acknowedgement of bugs, missing features and being told things are being worked on would make many users feel that they haven\'t bought into a sample library where owning a Mac is considered 2nd class. I for one have missed deadlines and opportunities to sell music fiddling around with this software, If GPO is to treat Mac users as beta testers please say so, otherwise keep in touch about the future, and get someone onboard this forum who knows macs and can help with workarounds until there are fixes.

Originally posted by mxman1:
    It would be wonderful to get the update. Considering the number of bugs reported by this forum for the GPO Host Mac software, it seems more than strange that even though many of the posts were after 2/13/04 that to this day an update isn\'t available. I\'m more than a little frustrated with GPO for Mac and the response from the GPO team has been almost null. I think that acknowedgement of bugs, missing features and being told things are being worked on would make many users feel that they haven\'t bought into a sample library where owning a Mac is considered 2nd class. I for one have missed deadlines and opportunities to sell music fiddling around with this software, If GPO is to treat Mac users as beta testers please say so, otherwise keep in touch about the future, and get someone onboard this forum who knows macs and can help with workarounds until there are fixes.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'ve got to give Gary the benefit of the doubt here, I believe NI promised they would make their sampler Mac compatible, but due to an apparent lack of good Mac programmers have failed to make the mark. So I suggest you take this complaint where it belongs, to NI. I\'m grateful that Gary is pushing them to make GPO Mac compatible and I hope he continues applying pressure until they deliver. There is no good reason why Mac cannot kick *** with these samplers, especially the G5 dual 2x2\'s. But the problem seems to arise from a PC mind set, that is taking a PC program and translating it almost line by line into MAC code or something of that nature. That is not going to get it done. You\'ve got the first 64 bit processor, lots of untapped computing power. In order to get those benefits you need programmers who are in communication with Apple computer\'s OS developers, and you need to pretty much write the code from scratch. It can be done, but it could take a year or two before enough is actually known about this new 64 bit technology.

That\'s just my common sense point of view, I\'m not an expert! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rick

Todd,

We\'re doing the best we can. I think that part of the problem in your case has to do with the Digi hardware and possible compatibility problems. Please email Jeff or I and we will do our best.

Things are working a whole lot better on Macs since the first release. There have been two updates to the player and most of the improvements have been Mac issues. A third update is expected soon. If you haven\'t done so already, download the most recent Player updates.

I remember that until recently, many a Mac user had to go out and purchase a PC for their sampling needs. Mac users were previously left out of the sampling revolution. This is changing now thanks to the efforts made by Native Instruments and other companies. But there is still room for improvement and that is why NI is continuously updating the player. It seems that things are finally beginning to stabilize with the Mac OS and better performance can be expected across the board.

As I mentioned in another post, OSX has been difficult for everyone, not just Native Instruments. Apple has been changing the specs as they go from OS9, OSX, Jaguar to Panther. There\'s been a rewrite of the audio spec every step on the migration. Many software companies are experiencing difficulties. Even Logic which is owned by Apple has some bugs needing to be resolved. My hands are tied as I have to rely on NI and Apple and there is little I can do.

I would love nothing more than to have things work on Mac as well as they do on PC. That is what I expected when I licensed the NI Player. One of the main reasons I licensed the NI Kontakt Player is because I wanted Mac users to enjoy orchestral sampling. Believe me, I want every GPO customer to be happy with the product. I do not want Mac users to feel like they are 2nd class citizens and I share your frustration.

One option is to keep updating. I believe Apple, Native Instruments and others will eventually get their acts together. When they do, it will be a system that will be unbeatable. And perhaps it may again be the PC guys who are jealous of their Mac counterparts.

Another option is to go with another sample playback engine that works better on Mac (or develop our own). It seems, however, that all engines are having their difficulty with OSX, but this is certainly an option.

The final option is to abandon the Mac platform altogether and just make PC products in the future. 90% of my support calls are Mac related. Most of our development costs go towards the Mac but the vast majority of our sales are for the PC. Recent posts make me want to withdraw making Mac products in the future. With so much support, cost, effort, the reliance on NI and Apple, you can see why this would be an attractive option. I don\'t want a single unhappy user. But I often feel a little helpless.

In the meantime, what do users think? Be patient and work though it? Go with another Player? Should we forget about future Mac products altogether?

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Gary Garritan

I really hate the fact that this will be by first post but...

Abandon Mac support? You have to be kidding me. After I spent $250 and had to wait nearly 4 months (I purchased it from Audiomidi.com) for it to ship? Am I correct in assuming that there would be a refund?

This does not sit well with me. I just received my copy last night. I haven\'t even had a chance to send out an email regarding issues I was having. I thought it might be a good idea come here first to see if there were any posts that might help me, and to my shock I see a post from Mr. Garritan himself stating that one of his options is to drop Mac support on top of making us (Mac users) seem like a burden. Nice! I can\'t believe that right after your product starts to ship to the dealers that you start to get cold feet about Mac support. A little late I think!

The more I think about it the more upset I feel.

A very bad first experience indeed.

Let me thoroughly reassure everyone on Mac! It\'s probably easy to misunderstand the original post as well as Gary\'s later post. The date on the newest GPO Studio shows when it was compiled in development - this is not the same thing as the date of release. Nevertheless, it\'s been available in new purchases for about a week, and I have to apologize that I didn\'t put it up on the web for present users at an exactly equal date. The primary change to GPO Studio is that it is now a true release version because it has sorely needed help files. If you\'re having any problems with GPO Studio in old or new version, let me know and I\'ll work to fix it.

As for Gary\'s message, I haven\'t talked to him yet today, but still feel more than confident to give you reassurances you need with regard to GPO. We will certainly continue support for GPO on Mac, and also work very actively to improve this support, both internally and with NI. I believe Gary was speaking of future projects, not GPO.

Gary- Thank you for your post. I can assure you that if GPO communicates to it\'s mac users, as you have just done, that the frustration level will go way down and the patience level will go way up. The most damaging situation is if one is trying to figure out how to work a program and gets stuck on a bug...not knowing it\'s a bug.
    As far as to support or not to support.....from my standpoint, Mac has and is the platform of choice for midi and audio editing. To abandon it would be financially foolish (although at this point in time probably a lot easier).
    One of the problems I see is that GPO is locked to NI and it\'s player (am I wrong on this?) The copywrite scheme seems to prevent any easy porting to other available programs-Mach 5, Ex24, or even full kontact players. Again I may be wrong and if I am I apologize. It would be great to know the facts.
    Finally- I can\'t tell you the thrill I had when I did find a workaround for the digi hardware (using it thru DP without the vst host) and then opening sibelius and writing some woodwind parts (monitoring thru DP). It sounded so amazingly great- my hat\'s off to you.

Originally posted by 7Jason7:
    I really hate the fact that this will be by first post but...

Abandon Mac support? You have to be kidding me.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You read this the wrong way. I will not abandon Mac support for GPO. Abandoning FUTURE Mac products is just one of the options to consider and I want to get an idea of what current and prospective users think about this option. I invited people\'s opinions and listed other options as well.

Gary Garritan

Gary, first off, I must apologize for the misunderstanding.

I do however have to express some of my concerns. I feel that a more proactive and positive attitude could be used here. Being a customer I want reassurance that the issues facing the product I purchased will be addressed and in a reasonable timeframe. I don\'t think that\'s too much to ask. Comments like \"OSX has been difficult for everyone, not just Native Instruments. Apple has been changing the specs as they go from OS9, OSX, Jaguar to Panther. There\'s been a rewrite of the audio spec every step on the migration\" are in my opinion passing the blame and do not promote confidence in the end user.

I understand that developing for a new OS is difficult, and I understand that any software you buy today will have some sort of issues right out of the gate, especially if the software goes in new directions, breaks new ground, such as your product does. I understand it also takes time to fix those issues. I have no problem with this. I do however have a problem with not taking responsibility. I understand that you do not make the software, but to take the \"my hands are tied\" approach, is in my opinion, probably not the best way to go.

Gary, I purchased this amazing library mostly based on your reputation. I had no problems giving out my money to a developer of your stature, in fact I decided I was going to buy this library as soon as it was announced, before I heard one note. When I read your comments today I was disappointed to say the least. I understand that I took some of them out of context, to which I apologize again. It\'s the explanation or excuses I could live without. Again reassurance is the key here. Reassurance that the issues will be addressed. That, I feel is what everyone really wants. They just want to feel that the company to which they have given their money to understands their situation and is taking care of the issues. This is what I expect from Garritan, especially based on the reputation of the company. Nothing but the best.

Gary, I have nothing but the highest respect and appreciation for you and what you have created. I hope that you do not find any of my comments posted here offensive. The feedback I give is intended to be positive and honest.

Jason

Go Back to forum