• Register
  • Help

Topic: Saving setup in GPO

Share/Bookmark

Saving setup in GPO

Okay, this may have been discussed already, but I did a search and couldn\'t find anything. And it may be in the documentation, but I read it through and didn\'t see anything either. It seems like it ought to be a basic, simple thing. But I\'m lost.

Is there a way to save my setup in GPO? I sure can\'t figure out how. It will really limit its usability if I have to reload all the instruments and configure all the volumes and settings every time I boot my laptop up. But, for the life of me, I can\'t find a \'save\' option anywhere.

Thanks

Re: Saving setup in GPO

if you save a setup in Kontakt, can you load that into the Kontakt player? The reason this would be handy is I have set up Kontakt player for Strings, WW etc that use Legato function with the sus. pedal and I\'m using the full blown kontakt set up for traditional sustain mode.

J-

I can\'t believe there\'s no way to save it. That\'s just silly. It really lowers my opinion of the product. What if a person doesn\'t have Kontakt?

How can you make a supposedly portable sound library and not have a way for people to save all the hard work they do setting up a session? That\'s just ridiculous.

I\'m very frustrated.

What sequencer are you using? I know that in Cubase you can save instances of the VST, but I don\'t know what data gets transmitted with the save. On the VST Instrument windows you\'d just click save or load depending on the situation.

You should be able to save your settings in the host sequencer you are using. Not knowing your setup, I can only tell you how I do it on a Mac using Digital Performer. Maybe however, it will give you something to work with.

If I think I might be using my setup within the same piece, but I want to try out different instruments or settings, DP lets you save right in the top of the Kontakt window. Then I can make all the changes I want and still return to my original settings.

If I want to save them globally, thus use them in any piece I might be working on in the future, there is an extra step. I do this using the clippings feature. In DP’s mixing board, the effects and plug-ins are all shown at the top of each track. DP shows the instance of Kontakt at the top of the track you have created for it. I make a clipping by opening a clippings window, save the window as “My best strings” or something, Drag the name from the mixing board to this window. Save and close your file. When you open up a new piece, your clippings will be visible. Make a new track for GPO and drag the clipping back to the same place from whence it came on your mixing board. Bingo! You have your strings. I would think that most DAWs would have something similar. It probably didn’t help, but I’m sure there must be a way to do this for you.

Best of luck,

In addition to the suggestions above let me emphasize that saving sequencer templates can be one of the best answers and it has many advantages over just saving setups in the player. Sequencer templates can save everything in the GPO player(s) plus all routing/configuration information like reverb plugin settings, send and return levels, balance information, track labeling, etc. In other words, it is possible to have a “highlight a track, ready to record” system with any configuration of instruments/plugins/mixing setups. Just create song files with everything you need for various commonly used instrumental combinations and save them under generic names (e.g. Chamber string ensemble). Creating custom templates for frequently used configurations is more than worth the effort.

Tom

Mr. Prophet,

If you use GPO Studio, you can save setups, but then you have to deal with the extra memory usage issues. Anyway, that what I do.

Jonny
    www.jonnylostinc.com

Originally posted by folk prophet:
    I can\'t believe there\'s no way to save it. That\'s just silly. It really lowers my opinion of the product. What if a person doesn\'t have Kontakt? How can you make a supposedly portable sound library and not have a way for people to save all the hard work they do setting up a session? That\'s just ridiculous.

I\'m very frustrated.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">folk prophet,

No reason to be frustrated. It\'s easy to save settings. The ability to save settings is one of the reasons we developed GPO Studio. Since saving settings was not possible with the Player in standalone mode, we went through the trouble of making GPO Studio. Not only can you save your settings but you can run multiple instances as well. Native Instruments may provide the ability to save settings within the standalone player in the future. In the meantime, if you don;t have the full version of Kontakt, you can save your setting by using in any sequencer as a plug-in or using using GPO Studio. Also, GPO Studio is free to all GPO users. Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan

Unfortunately, there is no save function. There are a couple workarounds though.

1. Load GPO into Kontakt and save a multi.

2. Setup templates in your sequencer.

Originally posted by Garritan:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by folk prophet:
    I can\'t believe there\'s no way to save it. That\'s just silly. It really lowers my opinion of the product. What if a person doesn\'t have Kontakt? How can you make a supposedly portable sound library and not have a way for people to save all the hard work they do setting up a session? That\'s just ridiculous.

I\'m very frustrated.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">folk prophet,

No reason to be frustrated. It\'s easy to save settings. The ability to save settings is one of the reasons we developed GPO Studio. Since saving settings was not possible with the Player in standalone mode, we went through the trouble of making GPO Studio. Not only can you save your settings but you can run multiple instances as well. Native Instruments may provide the ability to save settings within the standalone player in the future. In the meantime, if you don;t have the full version of Kontakt, you can save your setting by using in any sequencer as a plug-in or using using GPO Studio. Also, GPO Studio is free to all GPO users. Hope this helps.

Gary Garritan
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Gary. Didn\'t mean to sound like I was down on your product. (It was more NI\'s player that frustrated me. I still have issues with some of their design decisions.)

I will look into GPO Studio. That\'s great.

I appreciate everyone\'s advice and help.

Go Back to forum